Register now to remove this ad

Page 375 of 410 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,625 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They said different things...
    I don't see it that way at all. One a little more positive than they other I guess but essentially the same. Give what we have on hand a shot before going out to sign someone who may or may not be an upgrade. I wonder if sometimes you might see what you want to see in other people's postings?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'd say they are close enough to even with those two old fogies, but to me, it's more about saving luxury tax money.

I'm fine with signing Lackey or Dickey to a minor league only deal, but they will want incentives or bonuses that could bring us too close to the major tax limit and disallow any mid season move we might need badly.

We can sign two $1M guys now or trade for a $6M guy on July 31st, and both plans cost us $2M. I'll wait it out for the $6M guy and hope an in house guys rises to the occasion.

How long are we going to keep never knowing about Johnson and Elias? Guys like Velazquez would never get a chance.

Fister was a lightening strike. Most of those type signings never work out.

Same as giving guys like Johnson, Elias and Velazquez a final chance. At least we'll know, if we should keep them around any longer.
    To me it makes sense to try to unload players from our roster that don't project as being useful to the team this year and thereby increasing our luxury tax space. The idea of giving what we have as pitching staff an opportunity to succeed and pick up help later in the year if the team requires it. Sounds like a good plan unless our staff becomes fraught with injuries and the need arises much earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    To me it makes sense to try to unload players from our roster that don't project as being useful to the team this year and thereby increasing our luxury tax space. The idea of giving what we have as pitching staff an opportunity to succeed and pick up help later in the year if the team requires it. Sounds like a good plan unless our staff becomes fraught with injuries and the need arises much earlier.
    Yes, of course. If we need a starter in late May, then we may have to look then.

We may need two of the four right away (My guess is the out-of-options Johnson plus Velazquez. If one fails, or someone else gets hurt, we can try Elias or Beeks. It will take 2-3 starts to see, if they can work out, so that's two weeks each.

I get the argument that trying these 4 guys first and watching them all fail, could put us in a bind for the playoffs or home field advantage, but I'm not convinced Lackey or Dickey are significant enough upgrades to pay more for and cut into our spending budget for the summer.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    No, but we have Elias and Beeks as well. Can you guarantee Lackey or Dickey are not toast?

I'm not against signing 5 guys like Dickey or Lackey to minor league deals, but I want to keep the $4M for a "real pitcher" in July, if needed.
    No. But I can guarantee there will be more healthy arms from the set of Lackey, Dickey (or whoever), Beeks, Elias, and Velasquez than from the set of Beeks, Elias and Velasquez alone. ...

So we got

1Sale
    2Price
    3Porcello
    4Pomeranz (forearm strain)
    5And whoever really

Last time I checked (which was yesterday), Pom’s injury wasn’t that serious and there’s a strong likelihood he still starts the season.

Later in the season we should get Erod & Wright back (guessing about 3 months from now). Then we have 4 other minor league SPs to fill in any rotational gaps along the way.

What’s everyone freakng out about? Our 5th Starter? Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    So we got

1Sale
    2Price
    3Porcello
    4Pomeranz (forearm strain)
    5And whoever really

Last time I checked (which was yesterday), Pom’s injury wasn’t that serious and there’s a strong likelihood he still starts the season.

Later in the season we should get Erod & Wright back (guessing about 3 months from now). Then we have 4 other minor league SPs to fill in any rotational gaps along the way.

What’s everyone freakng out about? Our 5th Starter? Am I missing something?
    a) I don't think it's a case of freaking out...just typical pre-season chatter.
    b) I think it might be a tad optimistic to say there's a strong likelihood Pomeranz starts the season, which is only 3 weeks away. But we'll see.
    c) What's the harm in signing a guy to a minor league deal for further insurance? A lot of teams have signed pitchers to minor league deals already.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    a) I don't think it's a case of freaking out...just typical pre-season chatter.
    b) I think it might be a tad optimistic to say there's a strong likelihood Pomeranz starts the season, which is only 3 weeks away. But we'll see.
    c) What's the harm in signing a guy to a minor league deal for further insurance? A lot of teams have signed pitchers to minor league deals already.
    I agree. There's no cause for "freaking out" at this point, and we may very well have enough depth to get through the season (though the back of our rotation looks rather suspect to me until proven otherwise, particularly with the Pomeranz news), but it never hurts to have more. How often have we gone into the season thinking we had plenty of pitching, only to find ourselves giving starts to a Sean O'Sullivan or Kyle Kendrick a month or two in?

Why would Lackey want to return to Boston? He hated here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think Lackey is coming here. Buchholz or Dickey would be my guess if DD signs any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Guess I’m just going by what’s been actually reported. If what’s been reported is deemed optimistic, a mild forearm strain that should set Pom back a week, I’ve no basis to say otherwise or any reason to argue the contrary.

Guess I’m just going by what’s been actually reported. If what’s been reported is deemed optimistic, a mild forearm strain that should set Pom back a week, I’ve no basis to say otherwise or any reason to argue the contrary.
    What I'm reading is that it's possible he'll be ready for the start but they don't really know yet, there's no timetable etc.

He hasn't started throwing again yet. I'm sure they'll take it slow and careful.

Deity
    I think that that is the way to go as well. What good does it do to try to read something in to a stoy that isn't there with respect to any injury. If he is really injured we'll know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One last shot at a ring ?

I will blame him of this team is hit by a rash of pitching injuries and the Sox miss the playoffs because key games down the stretch were started by some AAAA pitcher who didn't belong in the majors. ..
    I agree, and said something similar in another post.

I won't blame him if the starting pitching is healthy but underperforms, but I will blame him if we lack the starting pitching depth that we need to get through the season.

for

Some guys will want incentives. Some will want out dates. And for some players, that is a reason not to sign them. But some won't. Our some incentives are worth putting in the contract.

It's not about taking chances away from the players you mentioned (by the way, Velasquez was once signed to the exact type of minor league deal I am pushing for here.)

It's alt having more depth and more options. Can you guarantee Johnson or Velasquez will be healthy when we need them?
    Once again, I agree. Get as much depth as you possibly can. Johnson, Elias, and Velazquez will get their chances. What's the harm in having a couple of veteran guys around, just in case?