Register now to remove this ad

Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast

Thread: Martinez vs Hosmer vs Santana

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Martinez really should be a 1B/DH. If you are putting him in the field, it is to please him. The Red Sox incumbents are all better with the glove.

I think right now this is just a staring contest - the Red Sox have the need and the money and nobody else has both.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am yet to see a move by GM where the GM did not have a rationale for the move, even the worst of moves. Having a rationale for the move doesn't make it less bad. Pablo was a horrible move.
    I couldn't agree more.

Just because we needed a 3Bman, did not mean we had to go out and get arguably the best available 3Bman that winter. It's a crappy way to make a decision.

Instead of signing HRam, Pablo and Masterson, he should have signed Scherzer. I could have understood signing HRam to play 3B and Scherzer, if they could have afforded both.

Pablo was a horrible signing, and just about everyone knew it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am yet to see a move by GM where the GM did not have a rationale for the move, even the worst of moves. Having a rationale for the move doesn't make it less bad. Pablo was a horrible move.
    Absolutely true,

The rationale isn't always good, but it is always there.

Sometimes it is obvious, but sometimes it is a lot less clear to us as fans, despite what we think we know.

Pablo was a horrible move, although none of us in our wildest nightmares imagined exactly how horrible it would be.

If we had just signed Pablo or Hanley, I think it would fall under the forgivable category. But signing them both, at a combined AAV of 41 million, was unforgivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Pablo was a horrible move, although none of us in our wildest nightmares imagined exactly how horrible it would be.

If we had just signed Pablo or Hanley, I think it would fall under the forgivable category. But signing them both, at a combined AAV of 41 million, was unforgivable.
    And it makes no difference who made these decisions.

It was bad business from the start and the Sox are "paying" for their mistake.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

Yes, but what is interesting is the cry from us fans to "fix the problem".

How?

By signing another FA, this time to a 5+ year deal.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

This I agree with very much. Has been a mind boggler for me how much attention has been paid to the GMs that have worked for the Sox and the constant scrutinizing of every move each of them has made. It is the actual decisions themselves that seem significant to me as opposed to who has been responsible for this and that. The Red Sox are and having been paying for some time now for lousy baseball decisions from a $ perspective. It is a damn good thing that our primary owner is a multi billionaire!

Deity
    Yes, but what is interesting is the cry from us fans to "fix the problem".

How?

By signing another FA, this time to a 5+ year deal.

I'm not sure that there is any real fix to the "problems" bad contracts create. I'm very sure that if a poll was taken as to how we fans might solve the problems that have been created, there would be so many different suggestions that it would be joke like. Signing JD Martinez to a 5 year deal might be a great deal for us and it might not.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm not sure that there is any real fix to the "problems" bad contracts create. I'm very sure that if a poll was taken as to how we fans might solve the problems that have been created, there would be so many different suggestions that it would be joke like. Signing JD Martinez to a 5 year deal might be a great deal for us and it might not.
    I'm hoping we do sign JD, as long as it is not a massive overpay for 6 years, however, I realize we are sticking our neck out. I don't view JD in the same light as HRam and Pablo, but he'll cost more money and more years, and if he fails, we'll be hearing the same thing we are now about Ben and his big mistakes. If JD fails and Price's elbow "pops", one could argue DD made bigger mistakes than Ben and Theo.

Deity
    I'm hoping we do sign JD, as long as it is not a massive overpay for 6 years, however, I realize we are sticking our neck out. I don't view JD in the same light as HRam and Pablo, but he'll cost more money and more years, and if he fails, we'll be hearing the same thing we are now about Ben and his big mistakes. If JD fails and Price's elbow "pops", one could argue DD made bigger mistakes than Ben and Theo.
    Your approach seems a little too negative for me. For the record, although i do like how DD goes about his business - he treats it like his not ours - I could care less who the GM is. I'm going to look forward to the spring and sitting tight and thinking that our offensive woes are going to magically heal themselves, won't make it for me.

Your approach seems a little too negative for me. For the record, although i do like how DD goes about his business - he treats it like his not ours - I could care less who the GM is. I'm going to look forward to the spring and sitting tight and thinking that our offensive woes are going to magically heal themselves, won't make it for me.
    I don't either. I'm for signing JD. I was for signing Scherzer instead of Pablo & Masterson. I was for doing something big when we signed Price.

I'm just saying that there is some hypocrisy in our own desires. We want our GMs to spend, spend, spend. The history of all big signings by all MLB teams is not good. When our big signings fail, we blame the GM, as if we were against signing anybody.

Yes, I get that the vast majority of us were against the Pablo signing. We all want our GM to sign only big FAs that will not fail, when, in fact the vast majority do fail- many right out of the gait.

I'm not expecting JD to fail. I did not expect Price to fail. I did not think HRam would fail, although I thought moving him to LF was a mistake. While I despised the Pablo & Crawford signings, I never expected such a massive failure. The fact is, our last 4 biggest signings have ranged from failing miserable (CC & Pablo) to failing badly (HRam) to looking pretty darn scary (Price). We realize the failure we made and look to solve those failures by doing what?

Signing the next big promising FA in JD Martinez.

Like I said, I'm all for signing him, but I have to think we may be just repeating the same mistakes again and again. I hope to hell we finally get one right. Not all big signings do badly. We're due for a good one.

Deity
    Good thing you don't care who the GM, considering the team doesn't have one..

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Good thing you don't care who the GM, considering the team doesn't have one..
    That is what I'm talking about Notin. You see you do get it. We have a GM who doesn't feel obligated to let his fan base in on every little injury, prospective signing, or other types of day to day stuff thus we must not have a GM. What forever shall we do?

Deity
    That is what I'm talking about Notin. You see you do get it. We have a GM who doesn't feel obligated to let his fan base in on every little injury, prospective signing, or other types of day to day stuff thus we must not have a GM. What forever shall we do?
    Not what I meant.

The Red Sox do not have a GM and haven't since Mike Hazen left. We have a President of Baseball Ops who handles everything himself. Although this off-season he hasn't done all that much...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not what I meant.

The Red Sox do not have a GM and haven't since Mike Hazen left. We have a President of Baseball Ops who handles everything himself. Although this off-season he hasn't done all that much...
    Official title doesn't matter, of course. All that matters is who is the de facto decision-maker.