Register now to remove this ad

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: 7/13 Dodgers @ Boston GT 7:10PM EST on FOX

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Nah, he's doing fine since since May 1st.

(I couldn't resist.)
    You will have a real "I told you" so if his season falls apart.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    You will have a real "I told you" so if his season falls apart.
    Not really. My point was always that our starters had sucked more than our pen (until recently), but I always felt they'd get it together going forward.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-13-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Let’s see how they bounce back tomorrow.

Deity
    This game falls on our so called ace. I wonder what he had to say after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    This game falls on our so called ace. I wonder what he had to say after the game.
    He's retiring with Pedey and both will give all their money back.

Deity
    Sale has lost all confidence in what used to be his put away, slam dunk pitch, his Slider. He either throws it poorly as soon as he starts throwing it in earnest in a stint and we get the avalanche of hit me please FB's then or worse we get the Saturday game. He was throwing his Slider pretty well for the way that pitch has treated him lately. But Turner hurt him on the pitch late in the stint and that was that. Sale totally abandoned the pitch. Both Sandy and Vaz appear to know when Sale simply does not want to throw his Slider anymore in a given stint and his Change is simply not good enough to carry him without the Slider. His FB isn't good enough either these days. Yet that is what we get at the point when he totally losses confidence in his Slider, an avalanche of FB's out the stint.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Sale has lost all confidence in what used to be his put away, slam dunk pitch, his Slider. He either throws it poorly as soon as he starts throwing it in earnest in a stint and we get the avalanche of hit me please FB's then or worse we get the Saturday game. He was throwing his Slider pretty well for the way that pitch has treated him lately. But Turner hurt him on the pitch late in the stint and that was that. Sale totally abandoned the pitch. Both Sandy and Vaz appear to know when Sale simply does not want to throw his Slider anymore in a given stint and his Change is simply not good enough to carry him without the Slider. His FB isn't good enough either these days. Yet that is what we get at the point when he totally losses confidence in his Slider, an avalanche of FB's out the stint.
    I could certainly be wrong, but my impression is that neither his slider nor his changeup breaks sharply down. The slider breaks 11 inches, which is a lot, but it's mostly in a horizontal plane--or so it looks to me. And, for whatever reason, the changeup just doesn't seem to be working this year and could also mostly be breaking left instead of left and and down.

To me it only stands to reason that a pitch that breaks sharply down is going to be more effective because it makes it harder for the batter to make solid contact than a pitch that goes mostly side to side.

Other than getting home at 2 AM, we had a great time last night
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    On another note, three big goose eggs smack dab in the middle of the Sox lineup. Batters 4, 5, and 6--JDM, Beni, and Chavez--were hitless and had 5 K's, 3 by Vazquez alone.

Today, Sunday, it's Ryu on the mound for the Dodgers. Lefty vs. lefty (Price), with a big edge to the Dodgers.

Oh, and as I said during the game, I no longer think of Sandy Leon as a superior defensive catcher. That plus his OPS of .542 makes him a liability, which is not good because Vazquez can't catch--I don't think--4 of 5 games.

Last night was game 2 of 17 straight games without a break. In July.

Actually, the above is sugar-coating it. The Sox are actually playing 34 games in 34 days--thanks to a doubleheader in 3 Aug in Yankee Stadium--in July-August.

It is difficult for me to believe that the MLB schedulers did not do this with malice aforethought or that they did not receive some guidance like--"don't go easy on that Boston club because we sure don't want to see 108 more wins in 2019."
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 07-14-2019 at 07:54 AM.

#FatBeni

WTF
    other names i have posted under: none

All that can be said about this game is all the warts showed up tonight. Frankly, I’d rather they all be at once rather than crappy starting pitching one game, lousy relief pitching a different night and no offense a third, which could mean 3 Ls instead of 1.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

fenway.jpg

Only reason it's portrait and not landscape is because I posted it on my Instagram story first. New favorite photo of Fenway
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    On another note, three big goose eggs smack dab in the middle of the Sox lineup. Batters 4, 5, and 6--JDM, Beni, and Chavez--were hitless and had 5 K's, 3 by Vazquez alone.

Today, Sunday, it's Ryu on the mound for the Dodgers. Lefty vs. lefty (Price), with a big edge to the Dodgers.

Oh, and as I said during the game, I no longer think of Sandy Leon as a superior defensive catcher. That plus his OPS of .542 makes him a liability, which is not good because Vazquez can't catch--I don't think--4 of 5 games.

Last night was game 2 of 17 straight games without a break. In July.

Actually, the above is sugar-coating it. The Sox are actually playing 34 games in 34 days--thanks to a doubleheader in 3 Aug in Yankee Stadium--in July-August.

It is difficult for me to believe that the MLB schedulers did not do this with malice aforethought or that they did not receive some guidance like--"don't go easy on that Boston club because we sure don't want to see 108 more wins in 2019."
    2 games are make-ups, but the schedule is a bit lop-sided. Also all those days off around the London series helped scrunch up the rest of the season.