Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mookie Betts Performance Thread

The Mookie Betts Performance Thread

Hey guys. In light of the season being two months old, I think that it is fair to start a few assessment type threads the rest of the way for some of our key players. We have critiquing going on in virtually every thread on here but it might be easier to just add a few more player performance type threads so we track and zero in on a player.

It’s pretty safe to say that Mookie has been struggling a bit (for him anyway) so far. I am not concerned about the power as much as his batting avg. I’m not expecting .340 every year but the drop has been significant so far.
    In 225 AB These are Mookie’s numbers.

AVG .280
    HR 9
    RBI 27
    OPS .853

He has just come off a miserable 1 for 12 against the Skanks. I saw a terrific stat yesterday from ESPN (how ironic). They stated that Bogey has made good contact with the ball 47% of the time this year as opposed to 42% for all of last year. I wonder why this particular stat is not more widespread, since it is quite telling of how well a player is seeing the ball. Can anyone here find similar stats for Mookie?

GO SOX!

Betts is having his third best season out of his 5 full seasons.

1.078 2018
    .897 2016
    .853 2019
    .820 2015
    .803 2017

He's just.035 from his career .885 OPS- basically one big game away from it.

Yes, his power is down (.462 SLG), but his OBP is .390 (second best of his career).

He's still on pace for about 24 HRs per 162 games, which is 3 less than his career HR/162 game number of 27.

(BTW, Mookie's lare season career OPS numbers: .919 in Aug & .922 in Sept- his two best months.)

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Betts is having his third best season out of his 5 full seasons.

1.078 2018
    .897 2016
    .853 2019
    .820 2015
    .803 2017

He's just.035 from his career .885 OPS- basically one big game away from it.

Yes, his power is down (.462 SLG), but his OBP is .390 (second best of his career).

He's still on pace for about 24 HRs per 162 games, which is 3 less than his career HR/162 game number of 27.

(BTW, Mookie's lare season career OPS numbers: .919 in Aug & .922 in Sept- his two best months.)

MVP
    Silver Slugger
    Gold Glove
    Batting Title
    World Series Champion

2018 is a tough act to follow.

Deity
    Meh. Not much interested in the individual assessments.

As for the Sox as a whole, right now they are scoring 5.33 runs/game vs. 5.41 runs/game last year when they led the MLB. The Sox have scored 315 runs to date, and the Yankees 310 (in 1 less game), but the Yankees are way, way ahead of us because their pitching is better.

Pythag:

Sox s/b 33 - 26
    Yanks s/b 37 - 21
    Rays s/b 38 - 19

Take away, Sox should be better than what they are right now, but I think we aren't talking enough about the Rays.

As for Betts, his 5 years of OPS look like:

My guess is that Mookie could bump his numbers up once it gets hotter, but his splits show him as a 1st half player. May is usually his best month. It just might be a down year for him. At worst, maybe it helps to lessen any contract burden.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Pythag:

Sox s/b 33 - 26
    Yanks s/b 37 - 21
    Rays s/b 38 - 19

Take away, Sox should be better than what they are right now, but I think we aren't talking enough about the Rays.

My guess is that Mookie could bump his numbers up once it gets hotter, but his splits show him as a 1st half player. May is usually his best month. It just might be a down year for him. At worst, maybe it helps to lessen any contract burden.
    The Rays are for real. Count the second half of last year, and they are right up there.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Pythag:

Sox s/b 33 - 26
    Yanks s/b 37 - 21
    Rays s/b 38 - 19

Betts' 2019 will be somewhat forgotten by the time he signs a 10 year deal for the $300MM or sits out 2021 ST waiting for the call.

Betts is still a superstar. He is least of my worries on the team. It was pretty obvious he wasn't going to repeat last years historical season.

He's worth how much ? I mean he's great but is he really worth 350 million ? Is any player worth 350 million ? Love the player but he can walk if that's his asking price .I would go 33 for 8 performance bonuses reaching 300

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    He's worth how much ? I mean he's great but is he really worth 350 million ? Is any player worth 350 million ? Love the player but he can walk if that's his asking price .I would go 33 for 8 performance bonuses reaching 300
    The two 300 million boys that were signed last off season aren’t producing as well as San Diego and Philly had hoped. Bryce is driving in some runs but his BA is south of .250 Machado is not lighting the world on fire either. Still good players but 300 million contracts? Gimme a break.

I’m not worried about Betts too much. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t show improvement this month.. especially with the softer schedule.

Betts is not worth 300 million. And please dont bring up harper as that's the Phillies fault for giving him that stupid contract.

I wouldn't give Betts anymore than 250. Even that I'd be stretching it. I'm sorry but in order to give out a 300 million deal you best be producing close to a 10 War every year.

A lot of Betts value is also his speed, which is the first thing to go when a player ages. He wont be as productive once he hits 30 with his legs.

I'm a big mookie fan. I have multiple jerseys of him but I just dont see him as a 300 Mil player in the long haul

Quote Originally Posted by YastrzemskI View Post
    The two 300 million boys that were signed last off season aren’t producing as well as San Diego and Philly had hoped. Bryce is driving in some runs but his BA is south of .250 Machado is not lighting the world on fire either. Still good players but 300 million contracts? Gimme a break.

I’m not worried about Betts too much. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t show improvement this month.. especially with the softer schedule.
    Bryce is doing just about the same as last year. He never was worth what he got. That was insane. He only had 2 seasons over .890 OPS out of 7 before this year...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxrules View Post
    Betts is not worth 300 million. And please dont bring up harper as that's the Phillies fault for giving him that stupid contract.

I wouldn't give Betts anymore than 250. Even that I'd be stretching it. I'm sorry but in order to give out a 300 million deal you best be producing close to a 10 War every year.

A lot of Betts value is also his speed, which is the first thing to go when a player ages. He wont be as productive once he hits 30 with his legs.
    Given what the industry is making, Harper's deal is frankly kind of a value ... Betts' slow start still puts him 10th in the AL in bWAR. By your criteria, the $30M a year bar is "Mike Trout and nobody else". And that would be really underpaid for Trout.

Quote Originally Posted by YastrzemskI View Post

i cant speak on machado impact but bryce has sold a lot of tickets to citizens bank park. and when you walk in there it seems 50% phan has a harper jersey on. if the phan is a teenage girl - 100%. his contract is paying for itself. whether that translates to a parade? very doubtful.
    other names i have posted under: none