Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Budgies - the Red Sox 2020 payroll thread

How does hang’em Chaim make this projected roster work when all our brightest and best have left our analytics department thanks to desperate Dave?

The guy currently running it, who could not get laid in a women’s prison, is in charge of a couple D students, a couple high school drop outs and a dozen developmentally challenged kids.

Despite everything hang’em Chaim may yet prove his worth! (Hopefully before bipolar Henry forgets to take his meds and changes the organization’s direction ... yet again!)

Who said everyone left? That’s not what Alex Speier said.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Who said everyone left? That’s not what Alex Speier said.
    I do not know who Alex is, but I question he missed the mass exodus from the baseball operations and analytics department during the dark days of desperate Dave,

Most of our brightest and best are now in Arizona, Houston, Oakland and even some in Tampa bay!

Clearly Alex would make Stevie wonder look great at poker!!!

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conver...er-zack-scott/

I haven’t seen it noted anywhere that there was a mass exodus under DD. Read this interview where it states the department grew under DD.

If you don’t know Alex Speier, you must not watch many Sox games.

The thing Henry needs to do now is let Bloom do his work. Henry made a mandate, Bloom followed through and actually set the team up for future prosperity. He got FAR more than anyone thought he could for one year of Betts. Yes, they’re under budget, but they’re also underwater with some bad contracts. He needs to be allowed to work his magic to clean the slate. He’s still got two more years of Pedroia, 3 more years of Eovaldi, 3 more years of half-Price and 5 more years of Sale. If he can clear some of that burden while allowing the farm to grow, he will be primed to build the next team. The Sox are currently in tear down mode. This year should see some assets obtained and some costs shed

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The thing Henry needs to do now is let Bloom do his work. Henry made a mandate, Bloom followed through and actually set the team up for future prosperity. He got FAR more than anyone thought he could for one year of Betts. Yes, they’re under budget, but they’re also underwater with some bad contracts. He needs to be allowed to work his magic to clean the slate. He’s still got two more years of Pedroia, 3 more years of Eovaldi, 3 more years of half-Price and 5 more years of Sale. If he can clear some of that burden while allowing the farm to grow, he will be primed to build the next team. The Sox are currently in tear down mode. This year should see some assets obtained and some costs shed
    The Pedroia and Price contracts represent sunken costs and were necessary corrections. Only time can rid the club of those drags on the budget. The Sale and Eovaldi contracts are ongoing and one would hope will return some value to the team, if not equivalent to the expenditure. I believe the JBJ contract represents an overpay and may be shed early, whereas JDM will probably stay around and opt out for next season. This should leave Bloom a good deal of cap room to make significant improvements. It will take time but I agree with the direction.

The Yankees on the other hand are poised to have a good year but may have spent themselves into future problems. They have retained a higher quality farm, so the effects of their spending may not be as great as what has happened to the Sox but the breakdown of a couple of highly paid pitchers would be hard to overcome.

You can survive heavy expenditures if you’re able to fill in your team with minor league depth. The Yanks have been able to do that. Their window is now and with the ebb and flow of big league teams, they’re likely to start having issues when their core is up for free agency (in 3 years).

Teams who spend but get performance for their spending end up ok. It’s when you have Pedroia’s, Ellsbury’s etc who aren’t playing yet eating a lot of money that you get into trouble. If the cash you’re spending on a player is rewarded in value they provide, then its beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-conver...er-zack-scott/

I haven’t seen it noted anywhere that there was a mass exodus under DD. Read this interview where it states the department grew under DD.

If you don’t know Alex Speier, you must not watch many Sox games.
    Larry doesn't watch games or read about the team - makes you wonder where he gets his info.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Teams who spend but get performance for their spending end up ok. It’s when you have Pedroia’s, Ellsbury’s etc who aren’t playing yet eating a lot of money that you get into trouble. If the cash you’re spending on a player is rewarded in value they provide, then its beneficial
    Pedroia is just an example of the bad luck that can befall any team who signs a player to a long contract.

And his contract was about one quarter of what Mookie wants.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

One thing about these Sox over the past couple decades is they've had a nack for falling apart and putting themselves back together. 2013 is probably the best example of this. They've never been afraid to change strategies that have had optimal and sub-optimal outcomes. For example, the Sox of 2013 would never sign David Price, they just wouldn't do it, it was never going to be part of their organizational philosophy.

Ben Charrington did a great job at rebuilding the system, but the Sox were able to switch direction and bring in a guy like Dombroski had the balls to blow it all up and build a championship team. G.M.'s do that all the time, win 100 games and sit home in October so 2018 is just that more special. I'm not saying it's going to be a good year this year, I think best case scenario is with a clean bill of health this team hits like crazy and trades for another ACE at the deadline. Unlikely, but that's how we get to October.

I'm also not claiming to know the future but I will say this. I think the Sox are willing to go over the Luxury tax, they just wanted to reset, I suspect a rebuild is coming after this year via trades and FA. And honestly, if guys don't opt out like JDM and Bogarets (unlikely) they only need to focus on the pitching side of things. I'm not saying trading Mookie was a great decision, but I think we have to see what they do with it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    One thing about these Sox over the past couple decades is they've had a nack for falling apart and putting themselves back together. 2013 is probably the best example of this. They've never been afraid to change strategies that have had optimal and sub-optimal outcomes. For example, the Sox of 2013 would never sign David Price, they just wouldn't do it, it was never going to be part of their organizational philosophy.

Ben Charrington did a great job at rebuilding the system, but the Sox were able to switch direction and bring in a guy like Dombroski had the balls to blow it all up and build a championship team. G.M.'s do that all the time, win 100 games and sit home in October so 2018 is just that more special. I'm not saying it's going to be a good year this year, I think best case scenario is with a clean bill of health this team hits like crazy and trades for another ACE at the deadline. Unlikely, but that's how we get to October.

I'm also not claiming to know the future but I will say this. I think the Sox are willing to go over the Luxury tax, they just wanted to reset, I suspect a rebuild is coming after this year via trades and FA. And honestly, if guys don't opt out like JDM and Bogarets (unlikely) they only need to focus on the pitching side of things. I'm not saying trading Mookie was a great decision, but I think we have to see what they do with it.
    I don’t think Bogaerts has an opt out...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Larry doesn't watch games or read about the team - makes you wonder where he gets his info.
    Yeah, IDK. If you're going to say that everyone left, at least try to back up your position. However, if you don't know who Alex Speier is, I honestly don't think you're really paying attention and are just making stuff up.

The Fangraphs interview I posted was conducted AFTER DD was let go. If DD had ruined the analytics department, I'm sure the Sox wouldn't be saying that it actually grew under DD's leadership.

AThe Sox are going to be sellers at the deadline
    cannot WAIT for this mea culpa.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don’t think Bogaerts has an opt out...
    He does, but we have more time with him than I suggested. His opt out is after the 2022 season.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    He does, but we have more time with him than I suggested. His opt out is after the 2022 season.
    OK. Thank you.