Register now to remove this ad

Page 84 of 151 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2253

Thread: Will The MLB Suspend The 2020 season

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Last Saturday, I heard an interview with Tom Glavine. He had a prominent role in the 1994 season-ending strike as a player rep. He recalled the lasting damage to the sport afterward and that it took time to win back the fans. He also recalled a labor dispute after 2001 and said that both sides realized that they would permanently lose the fans if they had another strike. He remembered that after 9/11 that there was such excitement by the fans when baseball returned as it was a return to normalcy. He sees a parallel with this pandemic. People want a return to normalcy and baseball is part of that. He strongly warned that if the doctors and health officials give the go ahead to start the baseball season and the season doesn't get played because of money issues, there will be long lasting damage done to the sport. Like after 1994, he warns that many fans will not come back.
    Glavine speaks the truth. I don't know how long lasting the damage would be, but failing to return to baseball because of disputes over money is a terrible look for both sides.

By all accounts, the current discussions between owners and players over the health and safety issues are going very well. That is the priority. If they can hash those out on good terms and come to an agreement, then money should really become a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And don't forget about the other big asset and biggest suffering party - the customers.
    Both sides need to compromise for the good of the fans, and for people in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Both sides need to compromise for the good of the fans, and for people in general.
    If I were a player (an employee), I would say "Look, I've already given up half my 'guaranteed' salary." Owners and capitalists (if they want their laissez-faire system), should not be 'guaranteed' anything. Tough luck. It's the players whose health is being put at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    If I were a player (an employee), I would say "Look, I've already given up half my 'guaranteed' salary." Owners and capitalists (if they want their laissez-faire system), should not be 'guaranteed' anything. Tough luck. It's the players whose health is being put at risk.
    Professional baseball at the major league level is billionaires contracting millionaires to perform a service. I can't feel sorry for either of them and could care less how they work out their differences so long as they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Professional baseball at the major league level is billionaires contracting millionaires to perform a service. I can't feel sorry for either of them and could care less how they work out their differences so long as they do.
    No one will sympathize with either side. If money keeps them off the field, the fans will punish both sides and stay away when they return.

Jad is wrong that the fans returned after the ‘94 strike. It wasn’t until the overhyped drug fueled Home Run record chase by MGwire and Sosa in 1998 that popularity returned for baseball.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 05-23-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I don't feel the least bit sorry for the owners. I don't feel sorry for the players either. I just don't like the way that some of the players have been coming across during a time when so many people have it 100 times worse than they do. As I have said before, BOTH sides need to compromise.

Better yet, take all the money that is made this year and pay any MLB employees that have been furloughed and/or donate the money to the food banks. Neither the players nor the owners need it.

No one will sympathize with either side. If money keeps them off the field, the fans will punish both sides and stay away when they return.

Jad is wrong that the fans returned after the ‘94 strike. It wasn’t until the overhyped drug fueled Home Run record chase by MGwire and Sosa in 1998 that popularity returned for baseball.
    Fortunately, it seem that both sides realize how bad it will look if the season does not get played because of money. They will work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Fortunately, it seem that both sides realize how bad it will look if the season does not get played because of money. They will work something out.
    Assuming the owners and the player's Union reach an agreement, it will be interesting to see how many players still decide not to play . And the repercussions, if any , if they do so .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Assuming the owners and the player's Union reach an agreement, it will be interesting to see how many players still decide not to play . And the repercussions, if any , if they do so .
    That’s an interesting possibility — that some players would go against the union and refuse to play. It’s like they would be striking scabs crossing the labor line.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

That’s an interesting possibility — that some players would go against the union and refuse to play. It’s like they would be striking scabs crossing the labor line.
    My guess is any agreement would include language about players being allowed to sit out.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    My guess is any agreement would include language about players being allowed to sit out.
    Wouldnt there be a danger that too many would opt out?

Owners would pay less by using MiLB guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Yeah, that will be interesting. Thinking in terms of those of us who have 'regular' jobs, if our jobs reopened and we decided not to go back into our offices, what repercussions would we face? We'd probably be fired.

I would guess that if a player doesn't play, he wouldn't get his salary or his service time for this year.

Not if they don't get paid and don't get service time.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Owners would pay less by using MiLB guys.
    I am sure there are a lot of MiLB players who would be more than willing to play.