Register now to remove this ad

Page 177 of 200 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 2989

Thread: The Pen

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Unless you go game by game through the game logs, which I'm not going to do, it's difficult to know exactly how the pen usage is broken down in some of these stats. I noticed that Fangraphs had German and his 70 something innings listed under both starter and reliever stats.
    BR has 74 IP as a starter and 2 IP as a RP'erfor German.

Fangraphs is always messed up in this area.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

If it were me, I'd stick with Velazquez/Johnson as my #5, trade for a solid closer, and use Eovaldi like the Andrew Miller of old. Having Eovaldi and Wright able to go 2 IP, if needed, would take an enormous strain off the rest of the pen and may allow guys like Workman, Hembree, Barnes and Brasier to thrive in less high leverage situations while being used less often.

Recognizing that you're the stats guru here, IIRC Barnes does much better in innings that don't start with "n". I'd relegate him to setup man as he was last year and let Eovaldi be the closer - assuming he proves he can do that job. I see 7th- Workman, 8th - Barnes, 9th - Eovaldi with Wright being swing man/long relief when necessary.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Recognizing that you're the stats guru here, IIRC Barnes does much better in innings that don't start with "n". I'd relegate him to setup man as he was last year and let Eovaldi be the closer - assuming he proves he can do that job. I see 7th- Workman, 8th - Barnes, 9th - Eovaldi with Wright being swing man/long relief when necessary.
    I think this is DD & Cora's plan.

I'm not sure it's enough, and I have my doubts about Eovaldi's effectiveness coming off a serious injury and being thrown into a somewhat unfamiliar role.

I'd rather see us get a solid closer. Wil Smith may cost too much, but someone reliable but maybe not spectacular.

________ (New closer)
    Workman (8th/9th)
    Eovaldi (7-8-9 - 1- 2 inning guy)
    Wright (7-8-9 - 1- 2 inning guy)
    Barnes (7-8- one inning)
    Hembree (7-8- one inning)
    Braiser (5-6-7- one inning)
    Taylor (5-6-7- one inning)

Walden AAA

Johnson/Velazquez 5th starter or AAA (Velazquez)/Traded (Johnson)

Sox 4 Ever

Barnes doesn't just have trouble with the 9th. He is having immense trouble with back to backs.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Barnes doesn't just have trouble with the 9th. He is having immense trouble with back to backs.
    That's ok When this offense gets clicking the Sox are going to score enough runs so that won't be an issue. He'll only have to pitch every two or three days.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    I watched Homer Bailey pitch against the Indians, he was hitting 94-95 pretty consistently, and for that team to have a winning record says something. he's super cheap, Dodgers paying his salary, I would definitely take the chance on him as a 5th starter. Were not talking Koufax here, just steady pretty good pitcher.
    He pitched in one of the best hitters Parks in baseball for years with the Reds, Fenway shouldn't bother him too much. He's owed 183,333 for rest of season.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-08-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I watched Homer Bailey pitch against the Indians, he was hitting 94-95 pretty consistently, and for that team to have a winning record says something. he's super cheap, Dodgers paying his salary, I would definitely take the chance on him as a 5th starter. Were not talking Koufax here, just steady pretty good pitcher.
    He pitched in one of the best hitters Parks in baseball for years with the Reds, Fenway shouldn't bother him too much.
    He also goes on the IL every time he sneezes...

It's probably Matt Groenig's fault but I can't have faith in a pitcher named Homer.
    -Vin Scully

Legend
    Pitched 2 no-hitters, I might have named my kid Homer.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He also goes on the IL every time he sneezes...
    At that price, who cares. Have time to look for another, this year he's been better, has 90 innings. Perfect for the 5th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It’s a crap shoot with the rookies. Rarely you get a KRod circa 2002. Most of the time, you get a Craig Hansen performance. Even if you get a Joba type start, it’s hard to rely on them in crunch time. See the Cleveland Midge game
    I don't disagree, but the idea of building a pen this way is to keep throwing the crap against the wall until something sticks. Sooner or later, something will.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    In a sense, we also added Hembree to our more recently troubled pen.

Maybe they do think Eovaldi, Wright and Hembree is all the pen needs and they'll focus all their resources on a 5th starter.

Could happen.

If it were me, I'd stick with Velazquez/Johnson as my #5, trade for a solid closer, and use Eovaldi like the Andrew Miller of old. Having Eovaldi and Wright able to go 2 IP, if needed, would take an enormous strain off the rest of the pen and may allow guys like Workman, Hembree, Barnes and Brasier to thrive in less high leverage situations while being used less often.

It sounds as though Dombrowski's focus is on acquiring that 5th starter rather than a pen arm.

Deity
    I would be fine with Zack Wheeler. He won't cost much money. However if they get a starter, THEY STILL WON"T BE ABLE TO CLOSE. Just because there will be less pressure on the pen at large does not mean they will suddenly be able to close.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    I would be fine with Zack Wheeler. He won't cost much money. However if they get a starter, THEY STILL WON"T BE ABLE TO CLOSE. Just because there will be less pressure on the pen at large does not mean they will suddenly be able to close.
    No, but the idea and hope are that if we can get the rotation to be solid like they should be, and if the offense continues to hit like they are capable of, there should be less high leverage late innings to be pitched.

IMO, solidifying the rotation is more important than solidifying the pen. The former should somewhat take care of the latter.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    No, but the idea and hope are that if we can get the rotation to be solid like they should be, and if the offense continues to hit like they are capable of, there should be less high leverage late innings to be pitched.

IMO, solidifying the rotation is more important than solidifying the pen. The former should somewhat take care of the latter.
    Not at the Closer it won't. We don't have a Closer. One is not going to emerge. Yes it will take pressure off of the rest of the pen because they won't be called upon for so many innings 6-8. Does not do a damned thing for the 9th and we still don't have someone that can even reliably close. These bums cannot even Hold. So what would make us think that there is suddenly a Closer in the Bucket-o-Fried chicken bums.