Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jackie Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I might be in a minority, but of the 3, Price, Sale and Eovaldi, I'm the least worried about Sale. He's the most important, so yes, that makes the worry more important, but in terms of who has the best chance at being healthy, I'd say Sale. Price and Eovaldi might be tied for the 2/3 slot.
    So the guy who finished the year on the shelf with an elbow issue requiring PRP is the most likely to be healthy? Is that an indictment of the three or fanboy optimism about the one?
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    So the guy who finished the year on the shelf with an elbow issue requiring PRP is the most likely to be healthy? Is that an indictment of the three or fanboy optimism about the one?
    It's more about my lack of faith in Eovaldi and Price.

Price pitched 7 innings in mid April and was never allowed to do it again, despite pitching very well, at times. He'll be a year older in 2020.

Eovaldi's history speaks for itself.

Sale is a fierce competitor. I have more faith in his health than the others, yes.

It's not a slam dunk by any means.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend

Price pitched 7 innings in mid April and was never allowed to do it again, despite pitching very well, at times. He'll be a year older in 2020.

Sale is a fierce competitor. I have more faith in his health than the others, yes.

Right now I am guesswing 20 wins for the three combined will be the upside. Not a lot to look forward to.

That’s pretty realistic IMO. It’s more an indictment on the other two.

Listen guys, arms only have so many pitches in them. You saw it two nights ago with CC. 3700 innings (including playoffs) and that was all his arm could take. Most guys, the threshold is far lower. Price’s arm is starting to bark. Wrist and elbow to this point. Shoulder is inevitable. All former big league or even high volume collegiate and HS pitchers end up with arthritic throwing shoulders for a reason. It’s unnatural and there’s a limit. Price is getting towards his. Sale might be heading towards his as well. You rarely see players regain lost velocity. You do see pitchers reinventing themselves. That’s your hope for Price and Sale. If they can reinvent themselves to live with lower velocity, then they can extend the inevitable

Deity
    On board.

Price has never pitched like Price since coming to Boston. Eovaldi is pretty good when healthy, but he’s never healthy....

Come on the JBJ experiment is over .Can we talk about his replacement ? I hope so .

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Come on the JBJ experiment is over .Can we talk about his replacement ? I hope so .
    I'd take him back in a heartbeat, if he wasn't going to cost us $10-11M.

Many GMs would.

JBJ could be buried in a lineup that has JD and Betts in it. They still scored a ton of runs and his glove could save some. JD opts out and Betts gets traded then the long stretches of not hitting are harder to hide. I’m a big JBJ fan, but it is frustrating watching him hit. The 11 or 12 million they would have to pay him is something that needs to be looked at real hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    JBJ could be buried in a lineup that has JD and Betts in it. They still scored a ton of runs and his glove could save some. JD opts out and Betts gets traded then the long stretches of not hitting are harder to hide. I’m a big JBJ fan, but it is frustrating watching him hit. The 11 or 12 million they would have to pay him is something that needs to be looked at real hard.
    Only his first 6 weeks were awful in 2019.

I’m on the JBJ boat .I can’t trade the greatest CF in my lifetime can’t do it.The pitching staff must feel the same .Get more pop in LF is my choice and 2b .

JBJ may be the Red Sox best defensive centerfielder ever or at least in a hundred years. Before Bradley, Fred Lynn was the best I ever saw. Both were more spectacular and could throw much better than Ellsbury, Crisp, Damon, etc. I never saw Jimmy Piersall play, but HOFer Tris Speaker averaged 15 errors per in his Boston seasons. Maybe if the MLB continues to use the dejuiced ball from this postseason, then more batters will lower their launch angles, and guys like Bradley can improve their all-around game by spraying line drives all over the field. JBJ is always better when he goes oppo... (such an approach usually ignites his hot streaks, according to Remy and Eck).

I'm just sitting back quietly listening to the chatter about all the reasons they're going to either non-tender JBJ or trade him so I can smile happily when April comes and he's still on the roster.

Sure, they may have to pay him $10M to keep him next year and they can likely sign someone who's cheaper but at the same time you often get what you pay for and the FO knows it. Logic says he stays unless, of course, you think that those GG Cf'ers with an OPS of >.700 grow on trees and they're everywhere.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Billy Hamilton and Juan Lagares should be very cheap and have phenomenal defensive reputations

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Billy Hamilton and Juan Lagares should be very cheap and have phenomenal defensive reputations
    Both might be decent late-inning defensive replacements for a roster that can carry them, but neither is a starter for contenders. Bradley's better all-around comp is Pillar, who makes about half as much -- both averaged just under 3 WAR the past five years -- and his peak in on-field value and contractual value may be Kiermaier, who averaged around 4 WAR the past six years and can make up to 13 mil by 2023... all are around 30 years old but have trended down to about 2 WAR the past couple years (JBJ has a slightly higher OPS). Finding a cheaper replacement with approximate value won't be easy, unless a non-bridge team is confident they have a youngster with break-out potential ready-for-primetime...

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I'm just sitting back quietly listening to the chatter about all the reasons they're going to either non-tender JBJ or trade him so I can smile happily when April comes and he's still on the roster.

Sure, they may have to pay him $10M to keep him next year and they can likely sign someone who's cheaper but at the same time you often get what you pay for and the FO knows it. Logic says he stays unless, of course, you think that those GG Cf'ers with an OPS of >.700 grow on trees and they're everywhere.
    i pray you are right. but i believe if JDM does not opt-out this will directly lead to JBj being non-tendered. although kennedy tried to walk it back...JH is 100% resetting the LT this coming season.
    other names i have posted under: none