Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 307 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Re: Red Sox 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Juiced View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Sox' offseason is over and the roster is set for 2013.
    The hill just got higher.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Juiced View Post
    Maybe not. Maybe the Sox really are looking to develop from within and didn't want to give up specific prospects that the Marlins were looking for. Who knows?
    I would like to know which of our prospects are better than Johnson (Ace type), Buerhle (solid/durable) and Reyes (all-star)...just saying.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

And so the excuses for Cherington begin.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

All-Star

Stanton is still out there, I'd give up the farm for that guy.
    And the Lord said, "Go Sox"

People tell me that I'm patronizing.
    (That's when you talk down to people)

Deity

It would have made for a very Happy Thanksgiving. Instead, we got a backup catcher.
    A Happy Thanksgiving isn't the same as getting a winning ballclub.

Jose Reyes won't be worth $22m the last 4 years of his contract. Josh Johnson is a beast... when he's healthy, which he often isn't. This deal could look very good in a year, or it could be an insignificant "splash". These aren't franchise guys. It may make the Jays better but let's not overstate the importance of making moves rather than making smart moves.

Legend

Ben is giving a speech at UMass, and the Toronto GM leapfrogs him in one great big single bound.
    Ben is still focussed on getting a 2nd batting coach, while his east rivals are stocking up on salary dumps.

Salary dumps don't necessarily improve teams, but on paper the Red Sox now look like they are the worst team in the AL East--no matter what they do--when they get around to doing it. Hopefully, Ben will have his 2nd batting coach hired soon, and then maybe he can put his "plan" for improving the team into effect.

Has Henry found a buyer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSport View Post
    Ben is giving a speech at UMass, and the Toronto GM leapfrogs him in one great big single bound.
    Ben is still focussed on getting a 2nd batting coach, while his east rivals are stocking up on salary dumps.

Salary dumps don't necessarily improve teams, but on paper the Red Sox now look like they are the worst team in the AL East--no matter what they do--when they get around to doing it. Hopefully, Ben will have his 2nd batting coach hired soon, and then maybe he can put his "plan" for improving the team into effect.

Has Henry found a buyer yet?
    I'm sick of this too... and yes... on paper we are the last place right now.

As I said, I wouldn't be surprise If JH sales the team before the season begins...

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by example1 View Post
    A Happy Thanksgiving isn't the same as getting a winning ballclub.

Jose Reyes won't be worth $22m the last 4 years of his contract. Josh Johnson is a beast... when he's healthy, which he often isn't. This deal could look very good in a year, or it could be an insignificant "splash". These aren't franchise guys. It may make the Jays better but let's not overstate the importance of making moves rather than making smart moves.
    And we still wait for the smart acquisitions. He is entering into his second off season, and we wait.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    I'm sick of this too... and yes... on paper we are the last place right now.

As I said, I wouldn't be surprise If JH sales the team before the season begins...
    JH is a bust as a business man. He can't maintain success in any field for an extended period. I'd be surprised if he isn't pushing for a sale looking to make a financial killing.

And we still wait for the smart acquisitions. He is entering into his second off season, and we wait.
    Some say that we will see results in 2015 or something... We have to be patience :lol:

Hell... I would like to have that time in my job to deliver results :lol:

Deity

I don't disagree that we are waiting. I just think that not every big move or acquisition of marquee players leads to the team being significantly better. You're right about waiting for the smart acquisitions... we might have been still waiting for those if the Sox gave up the farm or majority of their payroll for Reyes, Buehrle and Johnson.

Johnson has ace potential. The Red Sox can't get an ace, but they need to take a ace-potential guy and roll the dice with good scouting and player knowledge. Johnson was perhaps the best arm available, and two of the other options are already off the table.

And I don't know about you, but Buerhle is absolutely the kind of guy I'd want locked in in the #3 spot for a few years at 17 million.

The hill just got higher.
    Indeed it did. Don't think there's any arguing that point.

I don't disagree that we are waiting. I just think that not every big move or acquisition of marquee players leads to the team being significantly better. You're right about waiting for the smart acquisitions... we might have been still waiting for those if the Sox gave up the farm or majority of their payroll for Reyes, Buehrle and Johnson.
    Don't forget the Jays also got Bonifacio, who is an incredibly useful player. He plays basically every position but P, C, and 1b (he has at least 75 PA in every other position), has tremendous speed (40 sb in 2011, and 30 in just 64 g in 2012), and is solid defensively. The ultimate utility player, and he's just 27.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Some say that we will see results in 2015 or something... We have to be patience :lol:

Hell... I would like to have that time in my job to deliver results :lol:
    Chances are your profession doesn't require a 3-5 year plan.

This to me looks like a move that is based on trying to cash in this season or next. In other words it was a desperation move for AA to save his job and if it happens to blow up he won't be around for the years those contracts hamstring the club, and if he happens to be around, well we will worry about that then.

And if Henry is gearing up for a sale so be it. That's his right. Let's just hope we get a decent owner.

I vote Mark Cuban :thumbsup: