Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Bush hired as pitching coach

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    The red sox themselves admitted that they needed to revamp their entire approach toward pitching. The fact that Boston's last home grown successful starter was John Lester speaks for itself. One would have thought that their hiring of Bloom was a sign that they wanted a fresh outside approach. Bush's signing appears to run contrary to their previous statements and the Bloom hire.
    I assume they evaluated Bush as a good fit with the fresh approach.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I assume they evaluated Bush as a good fit with the fresh approach.
    You know what happens when one assumes?

Per Alex Speier:

Bush joined the Red Sox in 2016 as an analyst working with minor leaguers before moving into a coordinator role following the 2018 season. He has worked with numerous Red Sox prospects on pitch design and pitch mixes, trying to maximize the effectiveness of their arsenals. In 2019, he also joined the big league team for multiple stretches, assisting former pitching coach Dana LeVangie.

Bush emerged as the clear front-runner from a pool of five candidates interviewed by the Red Sox this offseason prior to the hiring of Chaim Bloom as the team chief baseball officer.

Rather than reopening the search, in a sign of the much-discussed collaboration that Bloom and others in the Red Sox organization discussed at his introduction on Monday, the new Red Sox baseball operations leader was comfortable with the comprehensive process that led the team to promote Bush.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

So in another words Bloom isn't his own man but rather one more voice in the choir

That is not a jump but the obvious inference. Let's just say I think we will have GM by committee. I don't say that would necessarily be a bad thing but rather the way Henry wants it to be. I am prepared to see how it works out. It could prove very successful.

The red sox themselves admitted that they needed to revamp their entire approach toward pitching. The fact that Boston's last home grown successful starter was John Lester speaks for itself. One would have thought that their hiring of Bloom was a sign that they wanted a fresh outside approach. Bush's signing appears to run contrary to their previous statements and the Bloom hire.
    They are going with a more analytic approach. Bush is that guy. LeVangie was not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    They are going with a more analytic approach. Bush is that guy. LeVangie was not.
    Analytics is fine but it is mechanics not statistics that actually propels the baseball.

Analytics is fine but it is mechanics not statistics that actually propels the baseball.
    Excellent point, but I think successful teams need a good combination of both.

I'm hopeful someone in the organization will focus on mechanics and be able to spot when a pitcher is moving away from his normal or most effective mechanics.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Excellent point, but I think successful teams need a good combination of both.

I'm hopeful someone in the organization will focus on mechanics and be able to spot when a pitcher is moving away from his normal or most effective mechanics.
    What has bothered me for a number of years has been the sox tendency to tout their young pitching prospects who have had terrible mechanics. The most egregious example several years ago was Michael Bowden who was highly touted but who got clobbered once he got to the bigs. How that kid ever got out of double A ball was a complete mystery to me.

What has bothered me for a number of years has been the sox tendency to tout their young pitching prospects who have had terrible mechanics. The most egregious example several years ago was Michael Bowden who was highly touted but who got clobbered once he got to the bigs. How that kid ever got out of double A ball was a complete mystery to me.
    I was thinking more about all the TJ surgeries and injuries and guys like Casey Kelly, Ranaudo, Owens, Kopech, Espinoza and now Groome.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I was thinking more about all the TJ surgeries and injuries and guys like Casey Kelly, Ranaudo, Owens, Kopech, Espinoza and now Groome.
    Excellent point as well.

Legend
    A coach who pitched 1,144 innings over parts of nine MLB seasons isn't exclusively an analytics nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    A coach who pitched 1,144 innings over parts of nine MLB seasons isn't exclusively an analytics nerd.
    This may be true but Bush served as Sox Minor League Pitching Coordinator. It is thought that his familiarity with Sox minor league pitchers gave him a leg up to snare the job. My issue is that the Sox track record on pitcher development in the minors hasn't been their strong suit. I thought they could benefit from an outsiders perspective as to approach and mechanics.

This may be true but Bush served as Sox Minor League Pitching Coordinator. It is thought that his familiarity with Sox minor league pitchers gave him a leg up to snare the job. My issue is that the Sox track record on pitcher development in the minors hasn't been their strong suit. I thought they could benefit from an outsiders perspective as to approach and mechanics.
    We can't blame the whole cruddy history of Sox pitcher development on Bush.

Just because he was in the system doesn't mean he was the negative influence on it.

I'm not saying you are wrong. Getting a fresh perspective makes some sense, but change just for the sake of change doesn't always work out.

Sometimes rewarding loyalty and longevity has benefits.

Legend
    Dave Bush had been the Red Sox minor league pitching coordinator for less than 10 months after serving about two years as a pitching development analyst.