Register now to remove this ad

Page 138 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2956

Thread: The 2021-2022 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He OPS'd 818 in the Japanese Eastern League (their minors), but only hit 558 after being called up. I don't think he was ever good enough to find "fame." He would have just been a 4th or 5th OFer.
    Agreed, and that's why I called a "slim chance" at finding fame.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    What the...
    He held the career MiLB home run record at some point. I love my late 80's PAWSOX.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The best thing is not to pay too much attention to what the brass says. They're not obligated to broadcast their plans to anyone.
    How often have you heard the FO say about a manager, "We have the utmost faith in ___________ to right this ship" and then see that same manager fired within a month?

That's why I don't believe anything coming out of the RS office. It would be ridiculous for any executive of any business to reveal their commitments. It's detrimental to their own business and a boon to the competing businesses.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    What do you think, the Red Sox were keeping him in AAA to punish him or something?

It seems pretty obvious they calculated that promoting him was too much of a risk because of the tax hit. And they couldn't get any other teams interested in trading for him.

They kept him down because they had an elite outfield with Benintendi, Bradley and Betts and did not want to pay that much for a fourth outfielder for tax reasons. It probably didn’t help that Dombrowski was never a fan of Castillo.

His salary was a huge factor in keeping him down, but he was good enough to play in MLB…

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They kept him down because they had an elite outfield with Benintendi, Bradley and Betts and did not want to pay that much for a fourth outfielder for tax reasons. It probably didn’t help that Dombrowski was never a fan of Castillo.

His salary was a huge factor in keeping him down, but he was good enough to play in MLB…
    I never understood why they did not trade him. Was it because of the salary? If they paid part of it, and that player was on another team's MLB roster, would our portion be counted on our Lux Tax line? Was that it?
    Sox 4 Ever

I never understood why they did not trade him. Was it because of the salary? If they paid part of it, and that player was on another team's MLB roster, would our portion be counted on our Lux Tax line? Was that it?
    As I understand it, yes. The RS were on the hook for tax on that salary if he made an MLB roster. So it must have come down to a calculation of what that hit would be in relation to the lux. tax limit, vs. what little they might save by releasing or trading him (no one was going to take on much of his salary).
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Yes, the question is what "part of it" the Red Sox would have had to pay. If another team paid half, the other half of about 6 mill would be on the Red Sox books for tax purposes.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

I bet they tried to trade him, but the return was never great enough to take the lux tax hit.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I bet they tried to trade him, but the return was never great enough to take the lux tax hit.
    I bet you're right.

Deity
    Either the other team wanted the Sox to pay a huge chunk or take a bad (possibly worse) contract back…

My recollection was Sox over reacted to coming in second place to the White Sox in Jose Abreu sweepstake. I read somewhere Sox was NOT going to come in second place for two years in a row. Rest is history.

Also we are on the hook for a portion of last year of Price's contract, $16M. Of course it has to count against our luxury tax. Otherwise we'd trade away bad contracts to get it off our books. Surprised we're discussing that...
    Last edited by Nick; 01-21-2022 at 02:13 PM.
    I write fictional stories in my spare time. So don't fact check me. Better?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My recollection was Sox over reacted to coming in second place to the White Sox in Jose Abreu sweepstake. I read somewhere Sox was NOT going to come in second place for two years in a row. Rest is history.

Also we are on the hook for a portion of last year of Price's contract, $16M. Of course it has to count against our luxury tax. Otherwise we'd trade away bad contracts to get it off our books. Surprised we're discussing that...
    Castillo's situation was a little more confusing than most.

...and nobody wanted him at his full cost.

The best type of trade might have been to take on another team's player salary we thought was worth it.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We weren't the only team that liked Castillo, but yes, I do think we went into his negotiations thinking about Abreu.

At the time, it looked to me, like a good gamble.
    Sox 4 Ever

Castillo's situation was a little more confusing than most.
    ...and with Price we had to "throw in" Betts.
    Sox 4 Ever