Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 162 Game Suspension for Robinson Cano for PED Violation

162 Game Suspension for Robinson Cano for PED Violation

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Robinson Cano Receives 162-Game PED Suspension

By Steve Adams | November 18, 2020 at 2:33pm CDT
    Mets second baseman Robinson Cano has tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports (via Twitter). The league confirmed minutes after Passan’s report that Cano has tested positive for Stanozolol. Because this is Cano’s second PED ban — he also tested positive with the Mariners back in 2018 — he’ll be suspended for 162 games. Cano will spend the 2021 season on the restricted list and will not earn any of his $24MM salary ($3.75MM of which was to be paid by the Mariners).

Presumably, if the 2021 season is shortened at all due to the ongoing pandemic, Cano’s suspension would carry over into the 2022 campaign. He’s still signed through 2023 at that same $24MM annual rate under the terms of the 10-year, $240MM deal he signed in Seattle back in December 2013.
    The pair of PED suspensions will unquestionably sully what otherwise looked like a potential Hall of Fame career. Cano, an eight-time All-Star, has taken home five Silver Slugger Awards, two Gold Gloves and posted a superlative .303/.352/.492 batting line with 334 home runs, 571 doubles, 33 triples, 1257 runs scored an 1303 runs driven in. He’s also racked up 2624 career hits, which would’ve given him a chance at cracking the illustrious 3000-hit barrier were it not for this latest suspension. He’ll still technically have an outside chance, but a pair of 188-hit seasons at ages 39 and 40 don’t seem likely.
    The 38-year-old struggled through a dismal 2019 season in Queens, hitting just .256/.307/.428 in a season that will be remembered for the juiced ball and record levels of offense throughout the league. Cano put together what looked to be a a terrific bounceback effort in 2020 with a .316/.352/.544 slash in 182 plate appearances, although this latest PED revelation obviously tarnishes the legitimacy of that production.
    That strong showing notwithstanding, Cano’s suspension will work to the Mets’ benefit from a roster construction standpoint. Incoming owner Steve Cohen was already expected to be among the game’s most aggressive owners in an offseason where most clubs will be looking to recoup lost revenues.
    Cano’s suspension not only opens up $20.25MM of unexpected payroll space in 2021 but also paves a clearer path for the Mets to put Jeff McNeil back at second base if they see fit. That makes for a cleaner alignment of J.D. Davis at the hot corner with a possible outfield alignment of Dominic Smith in left, Brandon Nimmo in center and Michael Conforto in right. Of course, given the aforementioned spending capabilities the Mets possess under Cohen, it’s quite likely that the current alignment will be altered by offseason additions, be they via the free-agent market or trade market.
    Already, the Mets have been listed as a potential suitor for top free agents such as Trevor Bauer, J.T. Realmuto, George Springer, DJ LeMahieu and Marcell Ozuna. Similarly, they’ve been suggested as a speculative trade partner for the Mets when they inevitably move Francisco Lindorthis winter. The additional payroll capacity only strengthens their ability to pursue such upgrades.

The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can somewhat understand messing up once. But trying to get away with it a second time, I don't get at all. I'm guessing some players just have a really difficult time coming to grips with the fact that their careers are close to coming to an end.

Nice trade by the loser Mets.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Robinson Cano, don't ya know (better)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Stupid, stupid, stupid. I can somewhat understand messing up once. But trying to get away with it a second time, I don't get at all. I'm guessing some players just have a really difficult time coming to grips with the fact that their careers are close to coming to an end.
    So far he has cost himself $36 million for these suspensions plus the enduring damage to his name and reputation. He’s a real knucklehead, but Mets fans should write him a Thank You card, because the new owner will have an additional $20.5 million.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Just goes to show you that guys should never leave the Yankees. As soon as they do, they get into all kinds of trouble with baseball laws. Imagine Cano suddenly doing all that juice as a Met and Mariner, trying to recapture the purity of his youth in New York. At least we can appreciate Beltran, who left his evil ways in Houston and fled back into the angelic embrace of pinstripes.

Deity
    Cano's career easily put him on track for Cooperstown. This second suspension has derailed that, and probably completely....

Cano's career easily put him on track for Cooperstown. This second suspension has derailed that, and probably completely....
    According to JAWS, he's right behind Carew. 7th all time.

If I had a ballot, I'd vote for him.

Pedroia is 20th per JAWS. I wouldn't vote for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

One thing I always loved about Cano was how easy he made playing 2nd base look. He was so casual out there. You never saw him doubt himself or really experience any sort of fear or nerves. He made spectacular plays seem routine, because he was also one that shied away from the spotlight

So far he has cost himself $36 million for these suspensions plus the enduring damage to his name and reputation. He’s a real knucklehead, but Mets fans should write him a Thank You card, because the new owner will have an additional $20.5 million.
    Makes me wonder how much the steroids helped him earn X amount of money.
    Sox 4 Ever

Makes me wonder how much the steroids helped him earn X amount of money.
    It was rumored that the reason the Yanks were willing to let him go was because of PED concerns.

His whole career might be phony.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Pedroia is 20th per JAWS. I wouldn't vote for him.
    The injury ruined his chances. Thanks Manny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The injury ruined his chances. Thanks Manny.
    Even if he was healthy, he'd be on the outside looking in unless he wanted to play until he got to 3,000 hits some time in his 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Even if he was healthy, he'd be on the outside looking in unless he wanted to play until he got to 3,000 hits some time in his 40's.
    He was on target for a 60-70 fWAR career before the injury, which would have given him a good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    He was on target for a 60-70 fWAR career before the injury, which would have given him a good shot.
    Maybe. With his play style, it was certainly likely that he'd continue to get beat up along the way hindering his production.

The Red Sox would have been a far better team and far more enjoyable to root for if he had stayed healthy.

If he had a press conference tomorrow and said "Laser Show 2021," you know Red Sox Nation would erupt.