Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yankees deal for Gray

A weird and interesting trade for both teams. The A's got back a lot of talent, but two of the prospects are injured. A high risk, high reward trade for the A's. But there are injury and durability concerns with S.Gray too and so including two injured prospects seems apropos in many ways. Mateo is a guy I left for dead but he has revived his career in double A, supposedly made a change to his leg kick. He has the ability to be an impact player at the major league level.

A better trade for Beane than the J.Donaldson disaster.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-31-2017 at 11:50 PM.

I see Kap being the jewel for Beane. He's a game changing type of pitcher, but he hasn't been healthy. If he returns to pre injury levels, they have an ace

But the development of our pitchers allowed Kap to be dealt. Dillon Tate, the 4th overall pick we got for Beltran last year has had his mechanics fixed and he is lighting up High A ball. He's got ace stuff. Domingo Acevedo throws 100mph with a plus change and developing curve. He's healthy and dominating AA. Chance Adams is dominating AAA. Justus Sheffield had a solid season in AA as a 20 yr old. Freicer Perez is a 6'8" monster who throws 100 as well and he's pitching well in A ball. With Sonny, Sevy and Montgomery already in the Bronx and it looking like Tanaka isn't opting out, I don't see how we have the room. Also, we have a dominant, lights out pen through 2018 with the first guy a FA in DRob after 2018. Kap was a luxury that we cashed in on

S. Gray meeting with Alex Rodriguez' cousin today.
    other names i have posted under: none

Right after "strength training" with Manny and Papi

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I see Kap being the jewel for Beane. He's a game changing type of pitcher, but he hasn't been healthy. If he returns to pre injury levels, they have an ace
    Gray was well worth the risk of the three guys you gave up.

He may not work out, but he's a proven ace who has shown signs he's returning to form.

DD should have tried hard to beat the Yankees' offer. If we ended up with a glut of starters next year, we could always trade one for good prospects or trade one as part of a bigger package for a cost-controlled big bat..

Legend
    Of all the moves yesterday, the Dodgers getting Darvish, was huge. When Kershaw comes back, that team is loaded. They really didn't give up their best Prospects for him either.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-01-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Gray was well worth the risk of the three guys you gave up.

He may not work out, but he's a proven ace who has shown signs he's returning to form.

DD should have tried hard to beat the Yankees' offer. If we ended up with a glut of starters next year, we could always trade one for good prospects or trade one as part of a bigger package for a cost-controlled big bat..
    With your current farm system, name a package better than the Yanks gave up, without including ML pieces; I'm not saying you don't have the prospects to pull it off, I just don't see how you can beat that without including ML talent or your best two prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    With your current farm system, name a package better than the Yanks gave up, without including ML pieces; I'm not saying you don't have the prospects to pull it off, I just don't see how you can beat that without including ML talent or your best two prospects.
    That's my question too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    We could have given Groome, Mata or Chavis, but I'm thinking this might have been enough:

Travis, Beeks, Lakins, Dalbec & Shawaryn
    or
    Ockimey, Beeks, Lakins, Shawaryn & Brannen

Oakland might also be interested in Holt, Marrero, Lin or Swihart

Word was, DD didn't even ask.

I don't think that would've been anywhere near enough. Yankees gave up three guys with all star potential, even with two of them being injured. Holt and Marrero don't have trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We could have given Groome, Mata or Chavis, but I'm thinking this might have been enough:

Travis, Beeks, Lakins, Dalbec & Shawaryn
    or
    Ockimey, Beeks, Lakins, Shawaryn & Brannen

Oakland might also be interested in Holt, Marrero, Lin or Swihart

Word was, DD didn't even ask.

Not even close

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Not even close
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I don't think that would've been anywhere near enough. Yankees gave up three guys with all star potential, even with two of them being injured. Holt and Marrero don't have trade value.
    Maybe I'm undervaluing the Yankee players given due to their injuries, but I'm not so sure my offers are that off.

I also think that if we included Chavis, Mata or Groome (just one), the A's would have listened. Maybe adding Houck or Scherff could get them to bite.

On a team like the A's, Holt might play close to FT for several years.

Stop adding Holt to trade proposals.