Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9/20 SOX @ Reds 6:40PM ET

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    Schwaber hit #40 tonight. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
    Doesn't mean he would have done it in Boston. Fenway is not Citizens Bank Park.

Even looking at least year, he hit 25 in 71 games (303 Plate Appearances) for the Nationals and 7 in 41 games (106 PAs) with the Sox.

I have little doubt he would have done well in Boston this season, but I doubt he would have hit 40 dingers. Would I have preferred him over JD? Certainly, but paying both of them wasn't going to happen (they certainly would have had to pick up a lot of JDs salary).
    Last edited by illinoisredsox; 09-20-2022 at 10:51 PM.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Should have signed Schwarber and unloaded J.D. on somebody.
    The game-winning triple and HR tonight don't count?
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    The game-winning triple and HR tonight don't count?
    Seriously. You'd think JD had devolved into a complete bum based on some of the comments about him. He has a .775 OPS (Schwarber's is .800) and has been heating up again recently. I would not write him off just yet.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Schwaber hit #40 tonight. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.
    I thought you were against re-signing Schwarber.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Seriously. You'd think JD had devolved into a complete bum based on some of the comments about him. He has a .775 OPS (Schwarber's is .800) and has been heating up again recently. I would not write him off just yet.
    Would you give him a QO?
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Would you give him a QO?
    Probably not, but I'll leave all the calculations to Chaim on that one.

Deity
    I wanted to keep Schwarber, but also like Bellhorn04's analysis on why Bloom didn't want to keep both JDM and Schwarber. He also points out that Fenway is tough on lefty bats.

Plus the Sox bigger problem is pitching. Signing Schwarber was never going to get this Sox team into the postseason.

Deity
    I was as long as JD was still on the team, because I thought they could get 1 more productive year out of him, so yes I was wrong on that,but didn’t you say Schwaber would have been to much money for what he signed for with Philly?

I was as long as JD was still on the team, because I thought they could get 1 more productive year out of him, so yes I was wrong on that,but didn’t you say Schwaber would have been to much money for what he signed for with Philly?
    Schwarb did get a pile of money - 4 years and $79 mill.

Deity
    Schwarb did get a pile of money - 4 years and $79 mill.
    And it’s going to take a pile of money to put Humpty Dumpty back together again is it not?

And it’s going to take a pile of money to put Humpty Dumpty back together again is it not?
    Yes. Was Schwarb worth that much of the pile? is the question.

Deity
    Yes. Was Schwarb worth that much of the pile? is the question.
    I guess it depends what the rest of the team looks like, but with so many holes to fill probably not. The Red Sox have though relied on the DH for production for quite a few years though.

Would you give him a QO?
    No, I would be concerned that he would take it , thereby clogging the path to signing better pitching . His QO number would prevent at least one or two added high to mid level pitching additions. JDM's talents will not increase as he continues to age , and the perceived decline over the second half of 2022 is an example of that. Or maybe he was protesting Bloom's trade of Vazquez in his own way.

I can't remember specifically if I said he was too much overpaid. I remember having to come up with a very complicated platoon and rotation plan to get everyone the amount of PAs they were expected to get, although Schwarber could have taken all of Dalbec, Cordero's and other players' PAs, in hindsight. (Hell, even JD's post May.)

I really liked Scwarber, and was okay with trading JD (plus cash) to make room for him, but I'm not sure the money we'd have to have paid the team taking JD plus the Schwarber contract would have been worth the longer term investment.

I seem to recall you being critical of posters wanting him back, but forgive me, if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure you said something about posters wanting to "sign Schwarber for life."
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by vegasbob View Post
    No, I would be concerned that he would take it , thereby clogging the path to signing better pitching . His QO number would prevent at least one or two added high to mid level pitching additions. JDM's talents will not increase as he continues to age , and the perceived decline over the second half of 2022 is an example of that. Or maybe he was protesting Bloom's trade of Vazquez in his own way.
    I just don't think he'd be worth $18M in 2024.

I will say that if the plan is to reset after 2024, and going over by a lot is okay in 2023, then these type of 1 year deals might be workable. (Yes, not at the expense of adding better pitching.)

Piling up comp picks would be nice, too.
    Sox 4 Ever