Register now to remove this ad

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 30 Man Roster

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @RedSox
    The #RedSox today added INF Nick Yorke to their Club Player Pool. RHP Colten Brewer, who remains on the 45-day injured list, was removed from the Club Player Pool.

The Club Player Pool is at 59.
    0 professional at bats and 18 years old and added to the player pool?

I'm guessing that, much like Casas, he is only being added so he can get some actual at-bats in...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    0 professional at bats and 18 years old and added to the player pool?

I'm guessing that, much like Casas, he is only being added so he can get some actual at-bats in...
    Well, you could have not TL;DR'd the follow up post.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    ????????

@RedSox
    The #RedSox today added INF Nick Yorke to their Club Player Pool. RHP Colten Brewer, who remains on the 45-day injured list, was removed from the Club Player Pool.

The Club Player Pool is at 59.
    There are a lot of tears shed in New York and Tampa. No doubt, the hitters there were hoping we would activate him and they could fatten their stats!

Deity
    Since post times are the same, I’m thinking I was writing mine simultaneously with yours and you hadn’t published it yet...

Legend
    How can we keep Arroyo in the lineup at 2nd in 2021 and still bring up Downs, assuming Downs continues to progress? Is it possible that we could move one of them to fill in at one of our weaker positions. Outfield or maybe 1st base if Dalbec continues to struggle?

We are also weak at DH unless JDM can bounce back but that is not a place for a young player.

Being creative such as moving Devers to first and Downs to third occurs to me but that may be something Devers doesn't want and we need to keep him happy. That kind of leaves the OF as a possibility. and we have several candidates for those spots plus we may well go outside the organization for an impact player or keep JBJ.

Downs has zero chance of coming up this year and my bet is, even if he is tearing the cover off the ball, you wont see him til May. They're playing the service time with a tweener MLB player in Pivetta, they will absolutely do the same for their top prospect
    Hal sucks

If Arroyo is doing well enough to hold onto the 2B position, we simply hold off bringing Downs up. It's not like he's banging on the door by hitting .850 in AAA. (Also, let's not jump the gun, here. Arroyo has 35 PAs, this year. That's a teenie-tiny sample size. He had a .622 OPS in his 250 previous ML PAs)

Even if we do bring Downs up mid-season 2021, there should be plenty of chances for him to get some playing time without moving everyone around to different positions. Arroyo has experience at 3B and SS. He could fill-in there a few times, while Downs plays 2B. Downs can also back up SS.

I don't see us moving Devers to 1B, even though I liked the idea a couple years ago.

We also have to think of Bogey opting out. Downs or Arroyo may be in the mix, there, too.

If we end up with an IF logjam, it will be a nice problem to have to deal with, and trading one could help us fill a need elsewhere.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Arroyo has proven that he is not a starter at the big league level

Deity
    If Arroyo is doing well enough to hold onto the 2B position, we simply hold off bringing Downs up. It's not like he's banging on the door by hitting .850 in AAA. (Also, let's not jump the gun, here. Arroyo has 35 PAs, this year. That's a teenie-tiny sample size. He had a .622 OPS in his 250 previous ML PAs)

Even if we do bring Downs up mid-season 2021, there should be plenty of chances for him to get some playing time without moving everyone around to different positions. Arroyo has experience at 3B and SS. He could fill-in there a few times, while Downs plays 2B. Downs can also back up SS.

I don't see us moving Devers to 1B, even though I liked the idea a couple years ago.

We also have to think of Bogey opting out. Downs or Arroyo may be in the mix, there, too.

If we end up with an IF logjam, it will be a nice problem to have to deal with, and trading one could help us fill a need elsewhere.

Downs might be one of the better prospects, but he should have ZERO impact on decisions made about the 2021 team. He's an A-ball middle infielder. Teams do not build around A-ball players. The Nationals had both Juan Soto and Victor Robles in A-ball, and that did not stop them from acquiring Adam Eaton. Teams can make these kinds of depth problems work out.

Now if Arroyo or Munoz can earn the 2B position, great. But by no means should either be given the role so Downs can take over in 2023 with a clear path. By the time Downs get to the majors, he might not even be a 2B or SS any more. (Remember our last good 2B prospect. Some guys named Betts.)

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You know I've always respected you, but come on. The kid is 25 and has less than 300 career PAs at the ML level. Surely, not much can be "proven" in that short a sample size.

His minor league numbers are pretty good, but they are also small sample sizes:

AAA: .846 OPS in 418 PAs
    AA: .689 in 517 PAs
    A+: .789 in 416 PAs

.775 in 1952 minor league PAs total.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    What kind of nonsense are you spouting. He homered against your vaunted Yankees last night. Do you feel the need to debase him?

Muniz to IL. Puello called up.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Muniz to IL. Puello called up.
    Next man up!

Stop.

He's 25 years old and has played all of 81 games at the big league level. He may not ever become an everyday starter, but he has hardly proven anything at this point.