Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Playoff Roster - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    fangraphs has us ranked below average in their team running metric.
    So?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I think this might be the first time we lead the league in SBs since the 1930's, if we keep going like this...
    Yeah as an old guy as my name suggests this is so strange to me, to watch a Red Sox team that runs this well.

I feel like I shouldn't be commenting on things like this any more. Every time I do I piss people off.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Typical Red Sox teams are ranked below Stephen Hawking when it comes to running. So this is improvement....

Legend
    Sandy Leon has a 3.23 Catchers ERA, the lowest for a Qualifying Catcher since 1974. - Sean McAdam
    Like he said, amazing for all the Great Pitchers that Varitek caught. Not worried about his hitting. In the Play-offs its all about Pitching.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-14-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    Yeah as an old guy as my name suggests this is so strange to me, to watch a Red Sox team that runs this well.
    Even Vaz stole a base last night!

112 SB
    30 CS

79%

I believe that is our highest SB% evaaah!

Legend
    Looking at all the Play-off teams we might face, only Cleveland runs. Yanks, Oakland, Houston, don't run. Cleveland might be eliminated by Houston. So wouldn't worry about other Opponents stealing this Off-Season. at this point.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 09-14-2018 at 08:00 AM.

112 SB
    30 CS

79%

I believe that is our highest SB% evaaah!
    Once they got rid of those lead-lined uniforms everything fell into place!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Offense: 1st in MLB in runs scored (by almost 50 runs)

Defense: 1st in the AL in UZR/150 (.5 better than CLE and almost double or better any other AL team)

Starting Pitchers: 3rd in MLB in ERA- (83 with CLE at 78 and Hou at 79 only one can face us.)

Relief Pitching: 3rd in AL in xFIP- (93 with Hou at 77 & NYY at 80)

SBs: 2nd in AL with 112 (CLE at 121 is 1st, Hou is 21st, NYY is 24th & OAK is 30th

Granted, I cherry-picked some stats. We are not good on DRS or some base running metrics, but we are a nicely balanced team.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Once they got rid of those lead-lined uniforms everything fell into place!
    We don't have as many bone-headed plays as last year, either.

I blame Cora for that!

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    We won the hard way tonight.

E-Rod was okay but was hit quite a bit.

Vaz had a hit tonight

Nunez looked good at bat while Devers ran for him (was Nunez hurt?) and ran into one for a HR. Good for him as he doesn't make a lot of contact but when he does the ball goes.

Poyner was hit for a HR when he left a ball out over the plate but at least he threw strikes. Kelly came in and was totally without command. Cora was perhaps too patient.

Bogaerts helped us with a double, a steal and came in on a ball in pllay by Swihart for the win.

So Devers and Nunez at 3rd were a plus. Vaz got a hit, Swihart did what he had to do.

On the pitching side, E-Rod still looks like a 4th starter, Poyner made one mistake but otherwise looked pretty good while Kelly was awful. No command at all.

We got a win and Cora got valuable information.
    Cora is in audition mode with his relievers, which is probably why he left Kelly in as long as he did. I appreciate all that Kelly has done for us this season, including the plunking of the Yankees punk, but he is too inconsistent to be on the postseason roster.

I read yesterday that Brasier and Poyner rank 2nd and 3rd out of 627 in getting batters to swing at pitches that are out of the middle of the zone, so the batters are not doing a lot of damage against them. Poyner is also getting a lot more playing time recently than any other lefty. I'd be surprised if those two are not on the postseason roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Not exactly the Cards of the mid sixties but they sure are the most fun to watch ( running ) Sox team I can remember.
    When the aggressiveness works, like it did last night, it's very fun and exciting to watch. Personally, I love the philosophy.

We just have to keep in mind (not speaking to you particularly), that this aggressiveness will often lead to outs on the bases. You live by aggressive base running, you might also die by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Cora is in audition mode with his relievers, which is probably why he left Kelly in as long as he did. I appreciate all that Kelly has done for us this season, including the plunking of the Yankees punk, but he is too inconsistent to be on the postseason roster.

I read yesterday that Brasier and Poyner rank 2nd and 3rd out of 627 in getting batters to swing at pitches that are out of the middle of the zone, so the batters are not doing a lot of damage against them. Poyner is also getting a lot more playing time recently than any other lefty. I'd be surprised if those two are not on the postseason roster.
    He failed last night's audition, but I get a sneaky feeling he will get more chances.

Broken down by categories:

UBR = -9.6

wGDP = -4.5

wSB = 6.9

We are very good at stealing bases. Advancing an extra base or avoiding a double play, not so much.