Register now to remove this ad

Page 60 of 410 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Legend
    MLB.com columnist Richard Justice predicts that Eric Hosmer will be the only top free agent to sign with the Red Sox:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261106...b-free-agents/

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    MLB.com columnist Richard Justice predicts that Eric Hosmer will be the only top free agent to sign with the Red Sox:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/261106...b-free-agents/
    Please God, no!

I'll give up beer for a year.

All-Star
    'The Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants and Phillies are early contenders to put together a trade for Marlins superstar Giancarlo Stanton, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports (on Twitter). There has been “preliminary communication” regarding the right fielder between each of those teams and the Marlins, according to Morosi, who adds that talks are likely to “intensify” at next week’s general managers meetings.'

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...s-4-teams.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    'The Red Sox, Cardinals, Giants and Phillies are early contenders to put together a trade for Marlins superstar Giancarlo Stanton, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports (on Twitter). There has been “preliminary communication” regarding the right fielder between each of those teams and the Marlins, according to Morosi, who adds that talks are likely to “intensify” at next week’s general managers meetings.'

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...s-4-teams.html
    I can't believe the Yanks and Dodgers aren't kicking the tries or waiting to swoop in at the last minute and steal the spotlight.

I know both teams have expressed an interest in lowering payroll, but Stanton is "the man."

This could become something pretty amazing:

2016: Price

2017: Sale

2018: Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I can't believe the Yanks and Dodgers aren't kicking the tries or waiting to swoop in at the last minute and steal the spotlight.

I know both teams have expressed an interest in lowering payroll, but Stanton is "the man."
    The Yankees are getting under the threshold to make a run at Harper. If we got Stanton, we’d have little room left to stay under the cap and improve the club.

I honestly think we may make a big move for a pitcher via trade. We shall see

All-Star
    Another Hosmer-to-Boston prediction:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...ent-50-part-1/

I'm just happy that Sox are able to pursue high ceiling players.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Yankees are getting under the threshold to make a run at Harper. If we got Stanton, we’d have little room left to stay under the cap and improve the club.

I honestly think we may make a big move for a pitcher via trade. We shall see
    $25M a year is much less than Harper will get on the open market.

I get the idea of going under the limit is a priority, and it will be easier to do so this year than next.

I'll ask you this, is there any way that you can get Stanton and stay under the limit?

1) The Marlins might pay part of his salary, if they can get a better return (which no team can do better than the Yanks)

$22M Ellsbury
    $13M headley
    $13M Gardner
    $12.5M Robertson
    $8.5M S Castro

I'm thinking the Yanks are at least considering "finding a way" to do both: get Stanton and reset the tax.

2) Can you cut salary elsewhere? (Trade and eat part of vet contracts you hold now.)

Double A
    http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/11/josh-b...-stage-attack/

Josh Beckett - Just add booze for instant idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by georom4 View Post
    http://www.tmz.com/2017/11/11/josh-b...-stage-attack/

Josh Beckett - Just add booze for instant idiot...
    More players than we would want to believe are real jack-holes. This is going to cost Beckett some big bucks and possibly some jail time. Accountability for athletes is something foreign to them.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

• In a lengthy piece for the Providence Journal, Tim Britton urges against many reactionary moves suggested by Red Sox fans. The body of the article includes 24 fan suggestions for Dave Dombrowski that Britton sought out on Twitter. Among them are cases for why Boston shouldn’t trade for Giancarlo Stanton, why signing Eric Hosmer doesn’t make sense, and why they should neither shop David Price nor move him to the bullpen permanently. While many such suggestions from fans have obvious flaws in logic, Britton’s piece is well worth a read for his detailed perspective on each subject.

Hey Tom,

Who gives a hoot what you think. It is hard for me to believe that you draw a paycheck for writing this garbage. Do some journalistic work. Make some phone calls. visit Fenway. Get some real information about the plans for 2018. If you are just going to print your unsourced opinions, come here to TalkSox and duel it out with Moonslav and others, and let a real reporter/sportswriter have your job. We message board types look to print media for hard news to discuss, not weak-ass opinion.

Oh and btw Tom, you are wrong about getting Stanton. He would be a huge get.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    • In a lengthy piece for the Providence Journal, Tim Britton urges against many reactionary moves suggested by Red Sox fans. The body of the article includes 24 fan suggestions for Dave Dombrowski that Britton sought out on Twitter. Among them are cases for why Boston shouldn’t trade for Giancarlo Stanton, why signing Eric Hosmer doesn’t make sense, and why they should neither shop David Price nor move him to the bullpen permanently. While many such suggestions from fans have obvious flaws in logic, Britton’s piece is well worth a read for his detailed perspective on each subject.

Hey Tom,

Who gives a hoot what you think. It is hard for me to believe that you draw a paycheck for writing this garbage. Do some journalistic work. Make some phone calls. visit Fenway. Get some real information about the plans for 2018. If you are just going to print your unsourced opinions, come here to TalkSox and duel it out with Moonslav and others, and let a real reporter/sportswriter have your job. We message board types look to print media for hard news to discuss, not weak-ass opinion.

Oh and btw Tom, you are wrong about getting Stanton. He would be a huge get.
    Your criticism of this journalist got off on the wrong foot when you got his name wrong (a mistake you repeated in the closing).

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Your criticism of this journalist got off on the wrong foot when you got his name wrong (a mistake you repeated in the closing).
    Maybe it was deliberate as he is a nonentity.

All-Star
    'Giancarlo Stanton trade talks between the Red Sox and the Marlins “may be heating up,” according to a report in Saturday's Miami Herald. “They're definitely in play,” said the major-league source about the Red Sox, according to the newspaper.'

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r..._be_heating_up