Register now to remove this ad

Page 40 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2019: Part II

Who are you gonna trade? The problem is, you need to have a parade of good pre-arb players to sustain a team that has 4 active players (and 1 perennially injured player) taking up half your budget. When the well behind you dries up and your current cheap talent gets pricey, you run out of options and fade.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Who are you gonna trade? The problem is, you need to have a parade of good pre-arb players to sustain a team that has 4 active players (and 1 perennially injured player) taking up half your budget. When the well behind you dries up and your current cheap talent gets pricey, you run out of options and fade.
    I'm not for a fire sale, at least right now, but in theory, we could trade JD, Sale, JBJ and Betts, if we know we are not going to outbid everyone for him after 2020. We could get a lot for that 2 or 3 from that group and still have a pretty decent core of players- some young and cheap to build around and try to get back to competitiveness after one reset year and maybe even a year where we get a top 10 draft pick by sucking in 2020.
    Sox 4 Ever

You’d have to eat 2/3 of Sale’s contract and you wouldn’t even get a great player back. JD would return you something, but that team would need to be willing to eat the 3 years left on his deal. Betts is the guy who can restock the farm.

You’d have to eat 2/3 of Sale’s contract and you wouldn’t even get a great player back. JD would return you something, but that team would need to be willing to eat the 3 years left on his deal. Betts is the guy who can restock the farm.
    You really think Sale's stock has slipped that much?

Have you seen what some pitchers with bigger health issues and spottier skill sets have been getting?

You think Sale would only get $9M a year as a FA, right now?

I'm hoping that was just hyperbole.
    Sox 4 Ever

While the 4 guys I mentioned are getting paid more than Chapman, Miller, Beltran, McCann & Nova were, I think you are undervaluing their stock.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    But nothing slows the game down more. Even broadcasters become stupified. You can hear it in their voice. And the rule puts the brakes on specialization.
    Then stop September roster expansion. Managers will learn to manage their bullpens properly for the other 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Then stop September roster expansion. Managers will learn to manage their bullpens properly for the other 5 months.
    YES!

And, people point to game times this year as not being higher than last year's, but we haven't hit September, yet, and this year's average will spike above last year's.

Sox 4 Ever

You’d have to eat 2/3 of Sale’s contract and you wouldn’t even get a great player back. .
    Simply not true.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend
    This month we have 3 against the Dodgers, 5 with the Rays and 4 with the Yankees. Tough to see us coming out of this stretch any better off then we are now.

Legend
    Next off day July 29th. Then another 17 straight games. Just working a regular job, its tough to work 30 days + with 1 day off. A complete day off, nothing to do with Baseball.
    This part of schedule will determine season. I have a feeling the Pawtucket shuttle will be in overdrive.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-12-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Next off day July 29th. Then another 17 straight games.
    Wow, beautiful scheduling isn't it?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Wow, beautiful scheduling isn't it?
    Agree, MLB are idiots, after the Indian series, the Sox play 38 games with 8 days off.
    I think a couple of these 34 games are make-ups though.
    2 weeks straight either the Yanks or the Rays, crazy.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Simply not true.
    Many felt the years and dollars were lower than expected to begin with, so I doubt a ho-hum 18 game start to 2019 cuts his value by 67%.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Many felt the years and dollars were lower than expected to begin with, so I doubt a ho-hum 18 game start to 2019 cuts his value by 67%.
    That’s because you forgot the “Not A Yankee” factor...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That’s because you forgot the “Not A Yankee” factor...
    I don't recall Jacko saying the contract was an overpay at the time of the signing.

Many felt he'd get 6-7 years and $30-35M a year.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 07-12-2019 at 04:09 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever