Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Staff

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    LaRussa is one of the top baseball men in the business. He is a great advisory pickup for the team in my view. This site is so negative about people like DD and LaRussa. Can't understand other than some like to say shocking things to rile things up.
    It's not JUST this site:

http://boston.locals.baseballprospec...tony-la-russa/

Everyone needs some story to go with I guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

LaRussa is one of the top baseball men in the business. He is a great advisory pickup for the team in my view. This site is so negative about people like DD and LaRussa. Can't understand other than some like to say shocking things to rile things up.
    I just don't see where LaRussa adds much that we don't already have. I read a couple of good articles by Drelich and Kory about how hiring LaRussa is fine, but how his hiring really doesn't help to move the organization forward. One of them used the analogy of LaRussa being like a 3rd arm.

As Drelich so eloquently said, having people with experience is nice, but so too is having people who can challenge the viewpoints formed by experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It's not JUST this site:

!!!

Matthew Kory, my man!

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    LOL
    I doubt Larussa will be micromanaging Cora's daily managing duties.
    If he does, Cora should quit!
    I don't think he will be either, but I do think he was brought in mostly as a 'safety net' for Cora over anything else. That doesn't send a very good message to Cora.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't think he will be either, but I do think he was brought in mostly as a 'safety net' for Cora over anything else. That doesn't send a very good message to Cora.
    Tony LaRussa is 73 years old and has not managed since 2011.

While I do get he probably wants to be around the game as long as possible, I have to think that if he wanted the grind and travel associated with managing, he would have found an opportunity within the last 6 years.

I also doubt he is a safety net in the front office, something Dombrowski did not do with Farrell even after two last place finishes. If Cora doesn't cut it, the interim manager will very likely be someone from his staff...

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It's not JUST this site:

I thought this piece did a good job of summarizing the incompetence of the Diamondbacks front office under LaRussa, which is a valid reason to be wary of him having anything to do with the Red Sox. Of course, I don't think that means he has nothing to add, either...as I said, it all comes down to how he is used.

I rather doubt Dombrowski would have been so dead set on hiring Cora only to tie one hand behind his back from the start by placing him under LaRussa's thumb, and if LaRussa has any input on front office decisions, he should be just one voice out of many...so I'm trying to go 'glass half full' on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Tony LaRussa is 73 years old and has not managed since 2011.

While I do get he probably wants to be around the game as long as possible, I have to think that if he wanted the grind and travel associated with managing, he would have found an opportunity within the last 6 years.

I also doubt he is a safety net in the front office, something Dombrowski did not do with Farrell even after two last place finishes. If Cora doesn't cut it, the interim manager will very likely be someone from his staff...
    Oh, don't get me wrong. In no way do I think LaRussa will take over the managing job if Cora falls flat on his face, which I also in no way think will happen. But I do think that LaRussa was hired in large part to advise Cora.

If Dombrowski likes what he sees in Cora's managing and the team is playing well, that advice from LaRussa will be just that, advice that Cora can use as he deems necessary. If Dombrowski does not like what he sees in Cora's managing, then the advice will become more like a directive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I thought this piece did a good job of summarizing the incompetence of the Diamondbacks front office under LaRussa, which is a valid reason to be wary of him having anything to do with the Red Sox. Of course, I don't think that means he has nothing to add, either...as I said, it all comes down to how he is used.

I rather doubt Dombrowski would have been so dead set on hiring Cora only to tie one hand behind his back from the start by placing him under LaRussa's thumb, and if LaRussa has any input on front office decisions, he should be just one voice out of many...so I'm trying to go 'glass half full' on this one.
    IMO, LaRussa and Dombrowski are too like minded. Dombrowski would be better served by hiring someone who could give him an alternate viewpoint.

Legend
    I am expecting a storm of negativism regarding the Sox hiring of the new hitting coach Tom Hyers and his assistant Andy Barkett. This site seldom has a positive take on changes.

I am expecting a storm of negativism regarding the Sox hiring of the new hitting coach Tom Hyers and his assistant Andy Barkett. This site seldom has a positive take on changes.
    Oldtimer, I am far from being a negative poster. My take is almost always positive, so much so that I am often called a homer, a pollyanna, or told to take of my rose colored glasses. I absolutely love the Cora signing, and have had no issues with any of the other coaches that have been signed.

I don't think that LaRussa will be the downfall of this team. I just don't see the necessity of signing him, and think Dombrowski would have been better off hiring a VP that could offer him some opposing viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Oldtimer, I am far from being a negative poster. My take is almost always positive, so much so that I am often called a homer, a pollyanna, or told to take of my rose colored glasses. I absolutely love the Cora signing, and have had no issues with any of the other coaches that have been signed.

I don't think that LaRussa will be the downfall of this team. I just don't see the necessity of signing him, and think Dombrowski would have been better off hiring a VP that could offer him some opposing viewpoints.
    I don't think you are positive at all. Free agent signings of top talent makes you shudder and you live in fear of looming cliffs. That is not positive thinking. As for the new hitting coach hire, I have no clue who this guy is. What is his resume as a hitter and hitting coach?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I don't think you are positive at all. Free agent signings of top talent makes you shudder and you live in fear of looming cliffs. That is not positive thinking. As for the new hitting coach hire, I have no clue who this guy is. What is his resume as a hitter and hitting coach?
    Wrong. She's positive that there is a cliff coming. She's positive that LaRussa was a bad hiring and that he'll be a meddler. Very positive thinking, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    Dana LaVangie will be promoted to pitching coach:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ing-coach.html

All-Star
    Pete Abraham @PeteAbe
    #RedSox promoted Dana LeVangie to pitching coach. He had been bullpen coach.

Pete Abraham‏ @PeteAbe
    Ramon Vazquez was added to the MLB staff. Per release: "will serve as a liaison between the major league club’s advance scouting and statistical analysis efforts, for the purpose of presenting information to players and coaches."

Pete Abraham‏ @PeteAbe
    Former Sox advance scout Steve Langone will now "travel with the major league team and work closely with Vazquez and advance scouting assistant J.T. Watkins."

Pete Abraham @PeteAbe
    In short: #RedSox are beefing up their advance staff and more closely aligning the analytics dept. with the MLB coaches.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Dana LaVangie will be promoted to pitching coach:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ing-coach.html
    It is a sound move. What you hope is that they have a plan to replace some of the catching instruction he was able to provide in his prior role.