Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DD Fired. Big Ppi on Hand. Coincidence?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I wasn't saying anything as nefarious as Ortiz was there because he's being groomed for any job within the organization. My thought was that *possibly* Ortiz had been invited to the first game (and given that prime seat beside the dougout) after DD was fired as a PR move to indicate to the fans that Ortiz was still coming to games in spite of the firing. The next logical fan assumption would be that everything is OK in RSN...no need to worry... just keep coming to games.

DD's firing was announced on the same day the Pats season started.
    Ortiz shows up at a game.
    - One thing I've learned in life is that in the world of business there's are almost no coincidences.
    I think it's a coincidence here.

Exactly how much positive PR did they get from Papi's visit? Looking at this thread vs the "Sox Fire Dombrowski Thread", it's fairly easy to see which event overshadowed the other...

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    Big Papi has bigger aspersions than GM of the Red Sox think Leader of a Country .
    I don't mean to be a spelling prick here, but the word is 'aspirations', not 'aspersions'. Aspersions means just about the opposite.

The only reason I'm correcting this is that they're both really good words.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If we wanted a GM to make the Sox 26 games worse over the course of one season, we would have kept Dombrowski...
    I think we already pulled that one off, in 2014...
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I don't mean to be a spelling prick here, but the word is 'aspirations', not 'aspersions'. Aspersions means just about the opposite.

The only reason I'm correcting this is that they're both really good words.

Lies!

The Clarifier Strikes Again!*

*Starring Dwayne Johnson, Luis Guzman, and Michael Caine as the Clarifier

All-Star
    What are the requirements for the GM job?

1)Know baseball talent when he sees it, and
    2)Be able to negotiate with the players.

Know anyone better qualified?

THIS TEAM HAS COLLAPSED

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    What are the requirements for the GM job?

1)Know baseball talent when he sees it, and
    2)Be able to negotiate with the players.

Know anyone better qualified?

THIS TEAM HAS COLLAPSED
    I don't know how Ortiz qualifies under those requirements. If the role of the GM involved hitting a dramatic ninth inning home run, I might agree. But it's more than just baseball knowledge nowadays. You don't see many former players being hired for GM roles any more. In fact, we have seen multiple new GM hires who were young enough to still be playing...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think we already pulled that one off, in 2014...
    And we will again if we go 6-12 to end the season...

Legend
    If we wanted a GM to make the Sox 26 games worse over the course of one season, we would have kept Dombrowski...
    Dave Dombrowski is known for depleting farm systems and handing out big contracts .. quite the opposite of Jerry Dipoto.

The Red Sox face the tough choice of going halfway and hoping for breaks or implementing a full-blown rebuild.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Dave Dombrowski is known for depleting farm systems and handing out big contracts .. quite the opposite of Jerry Dipoto.

The Red Sox face the tough choice of going halfway and hoping for breaks or implementing a full-blown rebuild.
    I would be very surprised if there was a full blown rebuild. It won't solve anything and would be too costly, assuming it actually works.

We all know "worst to first" really isn't some huge step. It can be done quickly. We also all know (especially Mariner fans) that rebuilds are a crapshoot more likely to keep a team in the basement than build a champion.

The Sox have a good foundation. This team still has a lot of talent. But if they can no longer spend money like drunken Kardashians and have to dial back a bit, that shouldn't be a problem. This is MLB. The jump from worst to first is going from a 40% winning percentage to a 60% winning percentage. And the Sox aren't even close to a 40% team...

The Sox responded to big Papi being in the house last night by playing inspired baseball .

All-Star
    "Come in, Mookie. What's on your mind?'
    Well, Papi, only a year left on my comtract, isn't it time to think of a long term deal"
    "Why"
    "For one thing, I know what I'm worth and would get a lot of relief out of it"
    "So what are you thinking of, Mookie, and have you talked this over with your agaent?
    "I'm thinking 20 million over 10 years"
    "Why?"
    "Why what"?
    "Why so much money? What are you gping to do with 10 million bucks every year?
    "Hey, man, it's securoty!"
    :How about 7 million a uear for 10 years?
    "No way. The Yankees are ready to offer what I just said."
    "Nice try, Mook, we'll talk again. And, in the mean time, see if there isn't a way you can some of that .290 to .346 gap next year."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    "Come in, Mookie. What's on your mind?'
    Well, Papi, only a year left on my comtract, isn't it time to think of a long term deal"
    "Why"
    "For one thing, I know what I'm worth and would get a lot of relief out of it"
    "So what are you thinking of, Mookie, and have you talked this over with your agaent?
    "I'm thinking 20 million over 10 years"
    "Why?"
    "Why what"?
    "Why so much money? What are you gping to do with 10 million bucks every year?
    "Hey, man, it's securoty!"
    :How about 7 million a uear for 10 years?
    "No way. The Yankees are ready to offer what I just said."
    "Nice try, Mook, we'll talk again. And, in the mean time, see if there isn't a way you can some of that .290 to .346 gap next year."
    So Papi is qualified to be the GM based on a fictional conversation that includes a deal offer Mookie already turned down?

Legend
    I would be very surprised if there was a full blown rebuild. It won't solve anything and would be too costly, assuming it actually works.

We all know "worst to first" really isn't some huge step. It can be done quickly. We also all know (especially Mariner fans) that rebuilds are a crapshoot more likely to keep a team in the basement than build a champion.

The Sox have a good foundation. This team still has a lot of talent. But if they can no longer spend money like drunken Kardashians and have to dial back a bit, that shouldn't be a problem. This is MLB. The jump from worst to first is going from a 40% winning percentage to a 60% winning percentage. And the Sox aren't even close to a 40% team...
    Some names to consider

Mike Hazen
    Matt Arnold
    Michael Girsch

Probably restricted from having conversations until after the WS.

Triple A
    Actually Big Papi presence at the game yesterday wasn't a coincidence by all means he's going to replace DD in the front office.

I think it's a coincidence here.

Exactly how much positive PR did they get from Papi's visit? Looking at this thread vs the "Sox Fire Dombrowski Thread", it's fairly easy to see which event overshadowed the other...
    the ortiz PR move is for the average fan. not the TalkSox fan.
    other names i have posted under: none