Register now to remove this ad

Page 118 of 307 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 4604

Thread: Red Sox 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Re: Red Sox 2012/2013 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Ok.

Then go read Jen Royle's tweets. She's a friend of Napoli who is also in the media, and is talking about how he is unlikely to go to Texas, that the Red Sox are willing to give him 5 years (tweet has since been deleted), that 4 years will get him, and that the meeting he had with the Red Sox went great, according to Napoli.

If the Sox aren't targeting Napoli #1 right now, why haven't they given any other free agents a dinner date with John Henry?

I don't know why you refuse to believe it, but Napoli is their #1 target. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
    You guys are arguing different things. You say Napoli is #1 target. Jung see's the #1 need as SP so inherently Napoli can't be the #1 target.

How you all need to look at it as Napoli > Grienke/Sanchez when considering how much they want in terms of years and $.

Then Napoli is probably then still more of a value then the 2nd tier pitching market. So again he remains the #1 priority still even though the teams main need is Pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    You guys are arguing different things. You say Napoli is #1 target. Jung see's the #1 need as SP so inherently Napoli can't be the #1 target.

How you all need to look at it as Napoli > Grienke/Sanchez when considering how much they want in terms of years and $.

Then Napoli is probably then still more of a value then the 2nd tier pitching market. So again he remains the #1 priority still even though the teams main need is Pitching.
    It would be pretty sad IMO if the FO doesn't recognize that starting pitching is their biggest need. Second tier pitching would be a big improvement, because their staff is very poor and incomplete.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity

It does matter whether Sanchez or Grienke...they don't have 5 guys in the rotation....they only have four!!!! and unfortunately just any old starter won't do. They already have the any old starter role filled by Felix who by the way people here want to toss around as trade bait so maybe they actually have two holes in the rotation. Unless they intend setting the clock back forty years they need at least one more starter of some stature greater than 5...probably greater than 4 cause Lackey is probably that guy.

Even if they had five guys unless the mystery guest is some stud...(highly highly doubtful), the most pressing concern on this team would still be starting pitching.

It never ceases to amaze me....how little Fenway's fans value pitching. Now apparently we have gotten to the point where the Sox don't even have 5 rotation guys, they have three question marks and a solid #5...So, they don't even have A ROTATION yet and the #1 target is Mr swing man catcher /1st basemen. This after a season where their starting pitching totally blew apart. The Sox blew up the lineup by virtue of trade....the rotation blew itself up.

Only in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    It does matter whether Sanchez or Grienke...they don't have 5 guys in the rotation....they only have four!!!! and unfortunately just any old starter won't do. They already have the any old starter role filled by Felix who by the way people here want to toss around as trade bait so maybe they actually have two holes in the rotation. Unless they intend setting the clock back forty years they need at least one more starter of some stature greater than 5...probably greater than 4 cause Lackey is probably that guy.

Even if they had five guys unless the mystery guest is some stud...(highly highly doubtful), the most pressing concern on this team would still be starting pitching.

It never ceases to amaze me....how little Fenway's fans value pitching. Now apparently we have gotten to the point where the Sox don't even have 5 rotation guys, they have three question marks and a solid #5...So, they don't even have A ROTATION yet and the #1 target is Mr swing man catcher /1st basemen. This after a season where their starting pitching totally blew apart. The Sox blew up the lineup by virtue of trade....the rotation blew itself up.

The thing is unless they trade for a true #1 the rotation is going to be ? mark going into the season regardless of what FA they sign. ANd those type of pitchers don't seem to be available.

Only in Boston.
    They will obviously bring in some SP. I just think it could come after Napoli/Position player signing. Only because that player is more valuable and likely to go quicker then the SP market they might be interested in(the one year guys, Haren, McCarthy).

Grienke is not likely. Sanchez wants too much. Edwin Jackson is good but meh. After that it drops of to the one year guys(they shouldn't even consider Dempster or Lohse IMO). Is it worth it to spend all their times on those one year types and ignore the more valuable position player market just because SP is more of a need?

Legend

I don't know who will be non-tendered, but if they non-tender Aceves, it will be the first mistake they make this year. He was one of their best pitchers last year--until he was badly mismanaged and over-used. These guys aren't robots or boring corporate types; they are athletes and competitors. They are the anti-Ben Cheringtons, if you get what I mean.

One guy who should be history is Melancon. The guy sucked when it counted early last year. Send him back to Houston.

Its sounding like the second tier pitching market hasn't developed because everyone is waiting for Greinke/Sanchez to find homes.

They'll non-tender Atchison (12 injury), Hill (always injured), and Sweeney (injured, no pop). They will bring Aceves back.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They'll non-tender Atchison (12 injury), Hill (always injured), and Sweeney (injured, no pop). They will bring Aceves back.
    Ya that's how I see it too. I think they will shop Aceves too.

I think Farrell likes Aceves, so they'll probably try to make it work out.

I can see that too but if someone shows interest and offers something nice they should do it. I do like his versatility though, but he seems as volatile as Julian Tavarez :lol:

I would give him his 2011 roll.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Ortiz: Red Sox need to add 'thunder'

By ESPNBoston.com | Nov 30, 2012 10:06 AM
    Boston Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz said Thursday night his team needed to add some “thunder” to a lineup that still has a few holes to fill.

Ortiz ranked second on the team in homers with 23, and he played in just 90 games. Jarrod Saltalamacchia led the Sox with 25 homers and Cody Ross was the only other player with more than 20 (he had 22). The Sox lost arguably their most productive bat in dealing Adrian Gonzalez last season and have yet to replace him with a comparable hitter.

Notably, the Red Sox need to add at least one other corner outfielder and a first baseman either though free-agency or trade.

“It’s not a surprise for anyone that follows the Red Sox that we need some thunder in that lineup,” Ortiz said Thursday night on Boston sports radio WEEI’s “Hot Stove Show”. “The problem is that there isn’t too many out there. That’s one thing. I’m pretty sure everybody needs to be a little patient. We have the winter meetings right now coming up and a lot of decisions get made right after the winter meetings, so hopefully they come out with some decisions."

The Sox struck a deal with corner outfielder Jonny Gomes, who had 18 homers and an .868 OPS as a part-time player in Oakland last season. He projects to play a platoon role with the Red Sox as well.

Ortiz also made a case on WEEI for the team bringing back Ross, something team president Larry Lucchino acknowledged was still a priority.

“I think Cody deserves an opportunity to come back,” Ortiz said. “He played in the toughest time we were going through and he handled himself pretty good. He did a great job. He’s a great teammate. He’s a great, great teammate and he’s a guy that cares. Me, as a player, that’s what matters to me, when you have guys that care about winning, care about coming in every day and trying to make a difference. That’s the type of player I like to have around and that’s the type of player this organization needs. Cody did all of that throughout the year.”

The Sox met with Mike Napoli last week and have made contact with a number of outfielders on the free-agent market, including Shane Victorino, Nick Swisher, Ryan Ludwick and Nate McLouth.

Still, the pickings are slim in the power department outside of the team signing power-hitting outfielder Josh Hamilton, who will probably command a deal that’s outside of the Sox’s comfort zone. The Sox could go after Adam LaRoche, who hit 33 homers, drove in 100 runs and had an .853 OPS for the Nationals last season.

Ortiz also told WEEI he recently met with Red Sox team doctors about the Achillies injury that ended his season and said his recovery was “pretty much ahead of the plan that they had.”

"I'm not fully recovered,” Ortiz said. “They say now with the new things that I'm going to be doing I'm probably going to get sore until I get used to it because I haven't been doing any running or any agility for the past three or four months. But they say that I'm looking pretty good."
    Seems like everybody knows this. Hopefully our FO is in the same page.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Ludwick/McClouth/Victorino... Feel the excitement!

Tender deadline tonight at 11:59 pm.

Would not be surprised at all to see the Sox acquire Jurrjens.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Tender deadline tonight at 11:59 pm.

Would not be surprised at all to see the Sox acquire Jurrjens.
    Would help to bring TS spelling to an all new low.