Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retired numbers in the future...

Re: Retired numbers in the future...

Manny will get #24 retired, thats a lock.....love him or hate him, hes been a major piece of Redsox history for 8 years now.

Pedro, I really dont know. I would like to think so......but there is a little doubt in my mind, and no reason is justifiable.......just a feeling I get about it, and the more years that pass since his departure, and the fact we won another WS without him, I think take away what he did.

Legend

considering Pedro is the most dominant pitcher of all-time who had his peak years in Boston, he should be a lock. the fact that he was a big part of the team that broke the 86 year curse is the exclamation point. maybe I'm biased cause he is the reason I became a Red Sox fan but its about as clear as day to me that 45 should be retired

Banned

I think its hard not to be in favor of the bending or just all out breaking of the requirements for the sake of retiring some of the numbers of guys who made big contributions to the championship teams. You might even be able to argue that those requirements are in place because we didn't have those kinds of heroes before. In an 86 year championship drought a fanbase doesn't attach itself to anything but the all-time greats. Williams, Yaz, Pudge etc. etc. But with a world series brings a lot of fond memories and some performances worthy of enshrinement. If it were up to me, 34, 24, 45, and 38 would be retired.
    I am the biggest spaz of all time

Quote Originally Posted by ksushi;316779;
    I think its hard not to be in favor of the bending or just all out breaking of the requirements for the sake of retiring some of the numbers of guys who made big contributions to the championship teams. You might even be able to argue that those requirements are in place because we didn't have those kinds of heroes before. In an 86 year championship drought a fanbase doesn't attach itself to anything but the all-time greats. Williams, Yaz, Pudge etc. etc. But with a world series brings a lot of fond memories and some performances worthy of enshrinement. If it were up to me, 34, 24, 45, and 38 would be retired.
    I still think Franconas number will be retired. When he leaves, he has the chance to be the best manger in Sox history and 2 (hopefully more) titles under his belt.

I think Schilling doesnt stand a chance. If he never throws another pitch, he will have 53 total RedSox wins.......if he goes in and Wake doesnt, it doesnt seem entirely fair.

Banned

The reason I think 38 should go up is because he came here and said his goal was to win a world series and he won two. No one has ever done that for Boston. He is definitely one of the greatest Red Sox in my mind.

im on record here bashing schillings mouth and points of view but he did a ford commercial before the 04 season stating HE WAS GOING TO BOSTON TO END AN 86 YEAR OLD CURSE and the mother fucker did it with a legitimate career threatening injury..

twice
    aura and mystique?are they exotic dancers...nothin better than shutting up 56000 peopleif he gets retired i wont bitch

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Future Headline:

In respect to what his postseason performance has meant to the Red Sox over the last decade, New York Yankees' third baseman Alex Rodriguezs' number was retired by Boston today.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;316837;
    Future Headline:

In respect to what his postseason performance has meant to the Red Sox over the last decade, New York Yankees' third baseman Alex Rodriguezs' number was retired by Boston today.

:lol:

manny: most likely
    papi: most likely
    schilling: maybe

its a little early to tell for anyone else on the current team.
    Tacoby Bellsbury

Banned

In order for Papi to get it, the Sox would have to bend some rules.

Let's put this all in perspective here, a retired number is the biggest honor a club can give to a player. Also, I feel a retired number should be for the face of the franchise kind of player, preferabley home grown, a HOF, and one that has eld teh franchise to great success, as well as having many memorable moments in his career.
    I stand behind the Red Sox having strict limits on who's number they retire, otherwise the honor would get watered down, etc. The only player I would bend the rules for is Pedro, he was a flat out amazing pitcher for the Sox, 7 years or not, he was one of the best in franchise history, and his peak years will be held in high regard for many years to come.
    That said, that is why Manny is also high on my list. While he's not homegrown, he is the most surefire HOF we have on the team currently, he has led us to 2 WS, and at his peak was the best hitter in the game IMO. His getting into the 500 club (and 600 if he contineus his career 6 years as he's said he wants to) and him finishing his career a Sox is crucial for this to happen though.

To be honest with you, when you win a couple of championships, rules should be bent. Hell, I am on the bandwagon for O'Neill, Williams, Cone etc to be retired for NYY. Why shouldnt Manny, Schill, Pedro and Papi be retired for the sox?

The sox have a bunch of numbers retired for players who were great but never won a damn thing. These guys were the core of 2 world series championships and if they win this yr, they can be considered a dynasty. When you have a dynasty in baseball, which is exceedingly rare, then rules need to be bent to honor those players.

Also, I dont think many people would bitch if your captain had his # retired.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by ksushi;316908;
    In order for Papi to get it, the Sox would have to bend some rules.
    You are a little inconsistent here.

You said 38 was a lock, but they have to bend rules for Papi. Out of the those two, Papi has had a more significant Sox career. Had Papi not put together such a significant season prior to Schill, Schill may not have come here since it was obvious they were 1 or 2 arms away from a title the season before with their potent lineup thanks in huge part to the emergence of Papi.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chin Music33;316942;
    You are a little inconsistent here.

You said 38 was a lock, but they have to bend rules for Papi. Out of the those two, Papi has had a more significant Sox career. Had Papi not put together such a significant season prior to Schill, Schill may not have come here since it was obvious they were 1 or 2 arms away from a title the season before with their potent lineup thanks in huge part to the emergence of Papi.
    No sir. Read all of a post before you jump on it. What I was saying was that I was in favor of the sox bending the rules or throwing them out the window altogether. And then I went on to say "If it were up to me... 24, 34, 38 blah blah blah".

agreed with k-sushi here
    the 04 run and into this year has changed the price of poker
    history will be fair with these guys and i suspect the new owners wont have issue with new rules for retired #s