Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Player usage rules

Hybrid View

Banned

Player usage rules

The game engine isn't perfect. So what I'll be doing to try to even things out is limit the playing time for players to a max of 50% above what they played in 2007.

This is to keep players like Joe Thatcher [1.29 ERA, 0.90 whip, 21 IP] from being even better than Papelbon or Nathan, and hitters like 31 year old Daryle Ward [0.963 OPS in 110 ABs] from being MVP candidates.

I'll base it on IP and AB.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

This is my rifle....

Re: Player usage rules

Of course the flip side to that is good player (year in year out) who was hurt in '07 now has a cap on his playing time. Like, say, Chris Carpenter or Pedro Martinez. Kinda sucks, if you ask me.

Banned

Yes ORS, but every year, you have these players who have fantastic years with a short amount of AB/IP. I'm trying to make it as real as possible, and some concessions have to be made. If you have a better solution, let me know. I'm open to suggestions.

There are a lot more statistical anomalies than injured players. Also, if you have a Carpenter or Martinez, just like in real life, you should take them realizing that you won't have a full season out of them in all likelyhood.

You do get that player that got injured...but no system is perfect. If you can come up with a solution let me know. I'm listening.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

This is my rifle....

I've never played Sim before, so I'll trust your experience here. I agree, there are more marginal players to who have good looking numbers in limited experience than there are stars who would have a cap. Ideally, the system would eliminate these anomalies by having a playing time dependent stat, like Runs Created, carry some weight in there performance scores, and by looking at 4 year periods to bump up the usual stars who have been degraded by being hurt one year.

EDIT: There is also the problem of rookies who didn't play all of the season last year and shined. Guys like Daric Barton and Clay Buccholz, who have elite talent and showed it in very limited playing time, will be practically worthless in this game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;315920;
    There is also the problem of rookies who didn't play all of the season last year and shined. Guys like Daric Barton and Clay Buccholz, who have elite talent and showed it in very limited playing time, will be practically worthless in this game.
    I agree. The system is far from perfect. However, in the limited amount of time that you can have Buchholz, he will be a solid pitcher.

Which is better? Having Buchholz and Chamberlain in dominating, but limited action....or having Chamberlain be the best reliever in the game, throwing 70-90 innings and Buchholz winning the Cy Young in a runaway? Without the caps, there is no doubt that Buchholz is the overall #1 pick in the game. Followed by Ian Kennedy.

See the quandry?

Like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

The whole idea of this league is to give you a chance to experience what a real GM feels, without worrying about the inequites of markets and the price of a hot dog. It's not like fantasy baseball, where you build a team based on just a select few categories. That's why I put in stadium factors. You will see players statistics vary by putting them in different parks, you may choose a great defensive shortstop or centerfielder to put him late in the game. This is the kind of move you would never do in fantasy baseball. In real baseball, you might pick a Coco Crisp if you play in a spacious stadium like Minute Maid. You would never take him period in fantasy ball, for the most part. You may take a limited player like Barton and make him your late season call up for the stretch run. You may trade your power guy for a speed guy, and then make your manager try to steal every base.

It's different than fantasy, and in a lot of ways, a lot more fun and complicated. The system isn't perfect but we will do everything we can to make it fun, entertaining and interesting.

This isn't "my" league. It's ours. All your suggestions are welcome.