Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired numbers in the future...

Re: Retired numbers in the future...

If Mannys option years get picked up, #24 I see as a real possibility.

Everyone else is going to fall short in criteria tho.

Petey got a WS, but was not in Boston for 10 yrs. 20%

Clemens, absolutely no chance at all. Especially after recent speculation. And lets not forget, Roger was really good for the Sox for awhile, but his last 3 or 4 seasons in Boston where very unspectacular. Alot of why Clemens was thought of as such a great pitcher, was for after he left Boston. 0%

Nomar, no chance. 0%

Tek will be a fan favorite and beloved by all of RSN forever but I'd say 15% chance of getting retired.

Schilling, not enough time in Boston, 5%

Wak, interesting dilema here. Waks been in Boston for awhile, although hes no HOF and never had huge season, hes always been there and usually given alot of quality. Hes always been a team 1st guy and a modle citizen. 30% chance.

Ortiz. This is really tough, and of all the above mentioned Papi is the one player the the rules might be completely bent or broken for. If Ortiz stays with the Sox for the rest of his career he has a shot. 2 WS titles helps, but there something different about Papi. He might not be a HOF, but you could argue he might be the biggest clutch hitter ever. Because of these clutch hits, he has become a super star of the game and a living legend in New England, and all other parts of RSN. Big Papi like Williams,Yaz, and Peskey will forever be linked to the Sox. 50% chance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;316248;
    there are certian criteria for retiring a sox #
    they removed the ""entrie career in boston"" thing for pudge fisk
    they havent removed the hall of fame thing for rice
    nomar?
    why would a .270 lite hitting faggot who hated bostons fans be eligible for # retirement when he is a 6 hitter in l.a.?

manny will get retired for sure
    Hey, watch the F-word.

But I agree. I like that the Red Sox are strict with retiring numbers. I think probably only one player from these two championship teams will end up retired and I think it will be Manny. He'll come close to the ten consecutive years requirement and he'll probably retire a sox, and definitely go to the hall a sox.
    I am the biggest spaz of all time

Pedro was the best pitcher of all time (IMO) during the first 5 yrs of his campaign. In a juiced player era, Pedro was amazing. If he doesnt get his # retired by the sox when he will go into the HOF as a Red Sock, then its ridiculous.
    Hal sucks

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;316273;
    Pedro was the best pitcher of all time (IMO) during the first 5 yrs of his campaign. In a juiced player era, Pedro was amazing. If he doesnt get his # retired by the sox when he will go into the HOF as a Red Sock, then its ridiculous.
    agreed, bosoxnation07 argued above that he shouldn't have the number retired cause he was with the Sox less than 10 years but even then, he was here for 7 and my god, when you have the most dominating 7 year run a pitcher has ever had with a team, you gotta give him the honor anyway

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxnation07;316270;
    If Mannys option years get picked up, #24 I see as a real possibility.

Everyone else is going to fall short in criteria tho.

Petey got a WS, but was not in Boston for 10 yrs. 20%

Clemens, absolutely no chance at all. Especially after recent speculation. And lets not forget, Roger was really good for the Sox for awhile, but his last 3 or 4 seasons in Boston where very unspectacular. Alot of why Clemens was thought of as such a great pitcher, was for after he left Boston. 0%

Nomar, no chance. 0%

Tek will be a fan favorite and beloved by all of RSN forever but I'd say 15% chance of getting retired.

Schilling, not enough time in Boston, 5%

Wak, interesting dilema here. Waks been in Boston for awhile, although hes no HOF and never had huge season, hes always been there and usually given alot of quality. Hes always been a team 1st guy and a modle citizen. 30% chance.

Ortiz. This is really tough, and of all the above mentioned Papi is the one player the the rules might be completely bent or broken for. If Ortiz stays with the Sox for the rest of his career he has a shot. 2 WS titles helps, but there something different about Papi. He might not be a HOF, but you could argue he might be the biggest clutch hitter ever. Because of these clutch hits, he has become a super star of the game and a living legend in New England, and all other parts of RSN. Big Papi like Williams,Yaz, and Peskey will forever be linked to the Sox. 50% chance.
    Agree 100%

I aslo said there was a possibility he could get his # retired.

Ending your career with the Sox I think will count for something. Petey chased the money and left town of a down note. This might count against him. The Sox have had alot of great players, but not alot of retired numbers. So you almost have to have a perfect resume for it to happen. While Petey's is a great resume, and Probably enter the HOF as a Sox, there are some blemishes on his resume.

I think Manny, even Papi will have there #'s retired before Pedro.

And also to clerify, Pedro is one of my all time favorites, I'm not trying to crap on him or anything like that. I'm just seperating the my emotions from the discussion and when I do, I don't see his # getting retired. It will be like Clemens #, no one will wear it for awhile.

Also I would like to state that I believe Buchholz should be offered #21. It's time for someone else to wear the number. Clemens has been gone for like what 14 yrs?

Clemens would have had better odds if he came back last season and won a championship(yes I realize things might have been different with him, but this id kinda a what if so I'm running with it). But he went back to the Yanks further seperating himself from the Red Sox.

Deity

I can think of three.

#34 - just for what he's meant to this franchise.

Outside shots:

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxnation07;316270;
    When you have a franchise as historic as the Red Sox go for 86 years without a title, that one particular title is magnified by a million. Without Ortiz, there is no question that title never happens. If the Sox had won a couple titles inbetween 1918 and 2004, I don't think he's in, but he was so clutch in the 2004 playoffs... I'm probably not the best to comment on it, but I've never seen anything like it and I still haven't. Every time he came to bat, I expected it from him. It was the most impressive stretch of clutch hitting I know of. I say he's in, a no brainer. Hell, he can be traded to the yankees tomorrow and he will still be in based solely on what he did in 2004, and the importance of that World Series title.

Aside from that, my heart goes with number 49. I hope he turns out to be another Pesky. I'd love to see Wake hang around the organization long after he retires (although by knuckleballer terms, I say he has a couple good years left in him!).
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Wade Boggs #26?

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chin Music33;316448;
    Wade Boggs #26?
    Fk him and the horse he rode around Yankee Stadium on.

Quote Originally Posted by VandaleIndustries;316315;
    Without Ortiz, there is no question that title never happens.
    Does this mean Dave Roberts gets in too?

agreed
    but we do have criteria and we do have rules.
    jim ed rice's # isnt retired yet
    dewey spent 20+ years here playing the best right field i ever saw and they gave his# up to manny...
    if wakefield was a celtic his # would be retired without a doubt
    in boston redsox nation it wont happen but it should
    due to time served and his overall attitude on and off the field wakefield is a hero to me.

Triple A

I don't like that the Redsox have "requirements" that must be filled to get a number retired. Why can't they just decide based on the impact the player had on the franchise? And I'd be pretty pissed if they didn't retire #24 for Ramirez. He's pretty much a lock for the hall of fame, especially in 10 homers from now, and if they pick up his two option years that will be 10 years with the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;316455;
    Does this mean Dave Roberts gets in too?
    He had two pinch runner situations in the ALCS, and I'm not disputing his importance, but Ortiz had a clutch performance that's rarely seen in MLB.
    I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
    Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by mAAAbs;316632;
    I don't like that the Redsox have "requirements" that must be filled to get a number retired. Why can't they just decide based on the impact the player had on the franchise? And I'd be pretty pissed if they didn't retire #24 for Ramirez. He's pretty much a lock for the hall of fame, especially in 10 homers from now, and if they pick up his two option years that will be 10 years with the Sox.
    I agree.....hell the Yankees are gunna have to start issuing triple digit numbers with all the numbers theyve retired. The Sox, for such a storied franchise, which is one of the original franchises in baseball history, sure dont have very many players they consider good enough to retire......think about that, kinda ridiculous huh?