Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Sox avoid arbitration on Oki

Sox avoid arbitration on Oki

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...bitration.html

Okajima avoids arbitration.

The Red Sox and reliever Hideki Okajima have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, reports Ian Browne of MLB.com (via Twitter). Okajima will make $2.75MM and will receive bonuses of $50K each for 50, 55, 60, 65, and 70 appearances, according to Browne in a follow-up tweet. The deal marks a significant raise for the lefty as he earned a base salary of $1.25MM last season.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Re: Sox avoid arbitration on Oki

This is good. The guy is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Good price for a reliever of that quality.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Good stuff

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Dipre approves.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;517566;
    This is good. The guy is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44;517593;
    Agreed.
    I wish it was more than one year.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;517594;
    I wish it was more than one year.
    Id rather take it one year at a time, he's pretty old and could have a horrible season one year as he gets longer then we would be stuck paying him for an extra year to do nothing.

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

I like the deal. It's cheap for a reliever that gives you the quality he does. The length is also key. The Al East is a tough place to pitch well in year in year out. If he should happen to break down or need the "get out of the Al East" card, the Sox won't be tied into a long term deal. Besides if he keeps going to arb, I doubt he breaks 7M a year for another 2 years. And I would still consider that a decent deal.

2.75 mil for Oki is a bargain
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Migual Cabrera 2 sox 2009;517778;
    Id rather take it one year at a time, he's pretty old and could have a horrible season one year as he gets longer then we would be stuck paying him for an extra year to do nothing.
    You're no longer a Sawx fan, which means your opinion is null and void. Troll.
    In Plump We Trust.

"That was a very well laid out, rational point. But I will still hold to my emotional opinion based on no facts or evidence." - Everyone but Plump.

He has declined a little each year, which makes sense for a guy his age, but he's been effective throughout his Sox tenure. So the 1 year at a time concept works well for him.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Fenway Resident

Actually in 2009, he mightily improved on allowing inherited baserunners to score. 2008 he was putrid at that
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"