Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired numbers in the future...

Hybrid View

Retired numbers in the future...

Havent posted in a while, but I was thinking of an interesting topic which may lead to some good discussion....

Which numbers in the future do you see being retired? I can think of quite a few, some of which you may or may not agree with, nevertheless it should generate some interesting feedback. Here they are:

5 for Nomar, nobody has worn it since.
    14 for Jim Rice, nobody has worn it since.
    21 for Roger. nobody has worn it since (Beckett actually refused to ask for it)
    24 in honor of BOTH Dewey Evans and Manny Ramirez.....
    33 in honor of Varitek. If Pudge can get his retired, then so should Vtek.
    34 in honor or Papi
    42 in RED, rather than the blue that currently resides on the facide in honor of Mo.
    47 in honor of Tito. If he brings in another WS title or two, then he deserves it down the road.
    49 in honor of Wake, a no brainer in my mind.
    58......a reach only 2 years in to his career, but with the way hes started his career, it could eventually be a lock.

What do you guys think? IMO 24, 33 and 49 are locks to be retired.

Numbers 5, 14, 34, red 42, 47 and 58 are debatable.

Had this whole Clemens thing not occured, or had he returned last season, it would also be a lock.

Let the discussion begin.....

Re: Retired numbers in the future...

14 and 33, fuck Nomaaah and Raajaa.

Papi? I hope so, but you're getting way too far ahead of yourself.
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

there are certian criteria for retiring a sox #
    they removed the ""entrie career in boston"" thing for pudge fisk
    they havent removed the hall of fame thing for rice
    nomar?
    why would a .270 lite hitting faggot who hated bostons fans be eligible for # retirement when he is a 6 hitter in l.a.?

manny will get retired for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;316248;
    nomar?
    why would a .270 lite hitting faggot who hated bostons fans be eligible for # retirement when he is a 6 hitter in l.a.?

What about Dewey Evans? They both wore #24

Nomar is a .315 career hitter. He hit .323 in his Redsox career....and some would argue that before injuries, he was better than Tejada, Jeter and Arod (circa 2000).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crunchy;316248;
    nomar?

Hey, watch the F-word.

But I agree. I like that the Red Sox are strict with retiring numbers. I think probably only one player from these two championship teams will end up retired and I think it will be Manny. He'll come close to the ten consecutive years requirement and he'll probably retire a sox, and definitely go to the hall a sox.
    I am the biggest spaz of all time

Retired numbers are reserved for once in a generation players. I don't know if any of these guys really qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;316249;
    Retired numbers are reserved for once in a generation players. I don't know if any of these guys really qualify.
    Neither did Pudge Fisk....and Varitek will eventually become the best hitting Catcher the Sox ever had along with 2 rings and the title of Captain.

According to the Red Sox site, the criteria is 10 years and HOF.

Many of what you mentioned are decent choices, but not Nomar. Number one, he's not making the HOF. Number two, he only played 8 1/2 years in Boston (1996 through mid 2004). But most of all, as someone mentioned above, he wasn't really a fan guy. I know a lot of folks loved him for awhile, but I don't think he ever really appreciated that, even when he was playing well.
    "All literary men are Red Sox fans - to be a Yankee fan in a literate society is to endanger your life."

- John Cheever

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan17881;316255;

Many of what you mentioned are decent choices, but not Nomar. Number one, he's not making the HOF. Number two, he only played 8 1/2 years in Boston (1996 through mid 2004). But most of all, as someone mentioned above, he wasn't really a fan guy. I know a lot of folks loved him for awhile, but I don't think he ever really appreciated that, even when he was playing well.
    So according to the website, Tito has no chance at going in as a coach I guess. Like most stuff has since the new regime has taken over....I suspect the retired number policy will change.

Ted Williams was also not a fan or media guy. Not until he embraced the fans well after he retired, but his number is up there.

Number one, he's not making the HOF.
    Maybe I should reconsider this...

Here's Garciapara's numbers compared with those of the other HOF shortstops. to tally up, here's where he ranks:

And out of consideration for all our Yankee fan friends, here's Jeter's numbers. Since we know he's going in, I suppose the comparison could be considered.

"All literary men are Red Sox fans - to be a Yankee fan in a literate society is to endanger your life."

- John Cheever

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan17881;316261;
    Maybe I should reconsider this...

Here's Garciapara's numbers compared with those of the other HOF shortstops. to tally up, here's where he ranks:

And out of consideration for all our Yankee fan friends, here's Jeter's numbers. Since we know he's going in, I suppose the comparison could be considered.

Nice work....really shows how good Nomar was, and what could have been minus 1 Al Reyes high and tight fastball...

To be fair though....Yount spent much of his career as a CF, little less than 50%, and Ernie Banks more than 50% as a 1B.......so some of those numbers are skewed. Take out those numbers and Nomar probably ranks even higher!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chin Music33;316263;
    Nice work....really shows how good Nomar was, and what could have been minus 1 Al Reyes high and tight fastball...

To be fair though....Yount spent much of his career as a CF, little less than 50%, and Ernie Banks more than 50% as a 1B.......so some of those numbers are skewed. Take out those numbers and Nomar probably ranks even higher!

Points taken... I went strictly by baseball-reference.com and their list of who entered the HOF as a SS. There are many on the list who played multiple positions.

- John Cheever

Legend

how do you not mention Pedro's #45?

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox21;316264;
    how do you not mention Pedro's #45?
    I apologize, I wiffed on that one....however, if Clemens 21 doesnt get retired, I doubt 45 will either.

You are correct though, #45 had an amazinf career with the Bosox, Ill never forget the 99 allstar game...