Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I felt like saying.

Evil Emperor

Re: Something I felt like saying.

Quote Originally Posted by YAZMAN;326703 View Post
    Yes, his history as a taxpayer puts him in the company of great humanitarians like Leona Helmsley, Heidi Fleiss, Martha Stewart, Daryl Strawberry, Spiro Agnew, and Al Capone.

Oh, and I forgot, add George "The Felon" Steinbrenner to the list.
    Did you even follow that tax issue at all, or are you just talking out of your ass? He apparently didn't pay property taxes of some sort, I believe, on his Trump Tower apartment because technically he considers himself to be a Florida resident due to his off-season residence being in Tampa. I would'nt call him a criminal or compare him to Al Capone for that.

Deity

You got baited so bad.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6;326870;
    Did you even follow that tax issue at all, or are you just talking out of your ass? He apparently didn't pay property taxes of some sort, I believe, on his Trump Tower apartment because technically he considers himself to be a Florida resident due to his off-season residence being in Tampa. I would'nt call him a criminal or compare him to Al Capone for that.
    How can you get so incredulous about the accuracy of the issue and then proceed to butcher the recap so badly? Everyone pays property tax for property owned regardless of their state of residence. The issue is income tax, something NY has that FL does not. Jeter didn't pay income tax, claiming he did not need to because he is a resident of FL who travels out of state to work in NY. The problem is, that while working in NY, he lives in an apartment he owns in NY, something the courts generally consider as evidence of residency in the state where one works.

Banned

The fact that people still care about this issue is asinine. I personally don't care if people pay taxes or not. I'm tired of supporting illegal aliens anyways.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

This is my rifle....

While I do care if people pay their taxes, I don't care a whole lot about this issue. I'm not a NY'er. Jeter cheated me out of nothing.

That said, when Fanboy#1 lauds his impeccable character, this issue should be brought up. Then, when Fanboy#1 gets his knickers twisted and proceeds to shit all over the facts of the matter in his defense of his hero, the actual facts should be brought to his attention.

Evil Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;326874 View Post
    How can you get so incredulous about the accuracy of the issue and then proceed to butcher the recap so badly? Everyone pays property tax for property owned regardless of their state of residence. The issue is income tax, something NY has that FL does not. Jeter didn't pay income tax, claiming he did not need to because he is a resident of FL who travels out of state to work in NY. The problem is, that while working in NY, he lives in an apartment he owns in NY, something the courts generally consider as evidence of residency in the state where one works.
    Yes, but it was a misunderstanding that was resolved. It's not like he was going out and trying to "cheat" people. And yes, you're right, I fucked that up forgive me. I wasn't getting worked up over his accuracy of the account, I was annoyed that he called Jeter a criminal (and actually compared him to Al Capone) and didn't even elaborate on his knowledge of the situation. I may have been a bit off, but that's only because I have better things to do than dwell on somebodys personal tax issues so long after they were made public. If you doubt me, look back at the ridiculous thread that was made regarding the issue, and you'll see I was very astute to the case. So what, I confused the particulars.

And are you saying that if I own a beach house in Jersey for instance, that I am a New Jersey resident? I'm not a tax expert and I'm not familiar with tax procedures and laws, but that sounds ridiculous to me. And just because he works in New York for a pro sports team that makes him a resident? He owns property in Kalamazoo, so is he considered a resident of Michigan when the Yankees play in Detroit? There are too many technicalities and the dynamics of this situation are a little confusing, but does this fault of his really deserve having comparisons to Al Capone and such? I could compare Tom Yawkey to George Gordon or Benjamin Franklin Butler, have a more accurate comparison than Jeter=Capone, and still be wrong because of how outrageous that is.

I know it's humorous to some of you how worked up I can get over little jabs, but the attitude you guys have towards Yankees boils my blood sometimes. If Jeter is a tax-evasive mobster, than Yawkey is a klansman.

That said, when Fanboy#1 lauds his impeccable character, this issue should be brought up. Then, when Fanboy#1 gets his knickers twisted and proceeds to shit all over the facts of the matter in his defense of his hero, the actual facts should be brought to his attention.
    Hahah :lol: you're such a bitter, angry man. Go get drunk and watch a war movie or something while reminiscing about your glory days in the service.

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6;326891;
    Yes, but it was a misunderstanding that was resolved. It's not like he was going out and trying to "cheat" people. And yes, you're right, I fucked that up forgive me. I wasn't getting worked up over his accuracy of the account, I was annoyed that he called Jeter a criminal (and actually compared him to Al Capone) and didn't even elaborate on his knowledge of the situation. I may have been a bit off, but that's only because I have better things to do than dwell on somebodys personal tax issues so long after they were made public. If you doubt me, look back at the ridiculous thread that was made regarding the issue, and you'll see I was very astute to the case. So what, I confused the particulars.

And are you saying that if I own a beach house in Jersey for instance, that I am a New Jersey resident? I'm not a tax expert and I'm not familiar with tax procedures and laws, but that sounds ridiculous to me. And just because he works in New York for a pro sports team that makes him a resident? He owns property in Kalamazoo, so is he considered a resident of Michigan when the Yankees play in Detroit? There are too many technicalities and the dynamics of this situation are a little confusing, but does this fault of his really deserve having comparisons to Al Capone and such? I could compare Tom Yawkey to George Gordon or Benjamin Franklin Butler, have a more accurate comparison than Jeter=Capone, and still be wrong because of how outrageous that is.

I know it's humorous to some of you how worked up I can get over little jabs, but the attitude you guys have towards Yankees boils my blood sometimes. If Jeter is a tax-evasive mobster, than Yawkey is a klansman.
    I love these posts.

Here's a recent NY state tax return. Page 58 cites an easy-to-use translation of applicable law.

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/2006/inc/it203i_2006.pdf

The key words, IMO:

You can have only one domicile...Easily
    controlled factors such as where you vote, where your driver’s
    license and registration are issued, or where your will is located
    are not primary factors in establishing domicile. To determine
    whether you have, in fact, changed your domicile, you should
    compare (1) the size, value, and nature of use of your first
    residence to the size, value, and nature of use of your newly
    acquired residence; (2) your employment and/or business
    connections in both locations; (3) the amount of time spent
    in both locations; (4) the physical location of items that have
    significant sentimental value to you in both locations; and (5) your
    close family ties in both locations. A change of domicile is clear
    and convincing only when your primary ties are clearly greater in
    the new location. When weighing your primary ties, keep in mind
    that some may weigh more heavily than others, depending upon
    your overall lifestyle. If required by the Tax Department, it is the
    taxpayer’s responsibility to produce documentation showing the
    necessary intention to effect a change of domicile.
    Given that Jeter lived in his other dwelling less than half of the year (far less, recreational travel and off-season time in New York City included), and that his business ties in New York City were clearly predominant, and that his Trump Towers apartment was worth six times as much as his (very nice) house in Florida, and that he maintained items of significant sentimental value in New York City, and that his family roots are in New Jersey and Michigan, the case that Jeter was a New York City resident seem very strong--strong enough that "misunderstanding" doesn't seem to describe the situation adequately. It seems to me that Jeter tried to cheat New York City out of tax revenue.

Of course, IANAL, and YMMV. But at least I try to research the issues. :dunno:

naa
    he wasnt trying to fuck the state of ny or anything as sinister as that.
    however his accountant was.
    misunderstanding?
    stop it
    trying to steal from the good people of ny is what happened and he got caught,will pay his fine and get on with his life
    i have no issues with people who steal from the government,just call spades spades when the shit hits the fan.

My dad lives in Boston but works in New York and keeps a residence there. He doesn't try to wiggle his way out of taxes by denying that he lives half the time in New York.

And Jeter definitely makes more money than him. I guess we're just better people than Jeter.

This is my rifle....

I'm sure the state of NJ would be very interested in your tax filings if you owned a residence there, worked there, and lived there half the year. Not quite the same as the beach house analogy you brought up, but more in line with what Jeter is doing. And, yes, he owes taxes to Michigan when he plays in Detroit, to Massachussettes when he plays in Boston, etc. Each player pays income tax to each state in which they play in accordance with that state's tax laws. This isn't the income under scrutiny. What NY was after was his non-baseball income. He's claiming FL residency on that one, but to me, that would be a hard sell since the baseball season is 6 months long (more for the playoffs - which he's done every year).

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by 26 to 6;326891;
    Hahah :lol: you're such a bitter, angry man. Go get drunk and watch a war movie or something while reminiscing about your glory days in the service.
    Quit projecting. Your attempts to assuage the damage to your ego by assigning an imaginary miserable status to my life is transparent and pathetic. If you don't like me using your own words against you to demonstrate the deficient nature of your thought process, then do a better job of limiting the amount of foolishness in your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;326284;
    Is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling that Derek Jeter could spend the entire time from Spring Training to the ASB on the disabled list and still lead in AllStar shortstop votes?

Cal friggin Ripken could be playing at peak form for another team and Jeter could literally be a quadrapalegic and he'd still win by four billion votes.

I bet if it was uncovered the third week into the season that Derek Jeter was, in fact, soley responsible for the events of 9/11, he would receive 75% of the vote. The other 25% would be Red Sox fans and jealous Islamic extremists.

I personally know of at least two Yankees fans who would vote the maximum number of times for Derek Jeter after watching him make nine errors and strike out six times in only three plate appearances in Game 7 of the World Series, and coming home to find him having sex with their wife, daughter, son, cat, ficus plant, and pillowcase.
    Kevin Youkilis isn't the best 1B in the AL.
    Dustin Pedroia isn't the best 2B in the AL.
    Jason Varitek isn't the best C in the AL.

Baseball giveth, baseball taketh away.
    When we are born, we cry, that we are come
    To this great stage of fools.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;326872;
    You got baited so bad.
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist;326932;
    Kevin Youkilis isn't the best 1B in the AL.
    Dustin Pedroia isn't the best 2B in the AL.
    Jason Varitek isn't the best C in the AL.

Baseball giveth, baseball taketh away.

Who's better at 2B?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;326942;
    Who's better at 2B?
    Probably Roberts