Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Your Civic Duty

Deity

Do Your Civic Duty

Vote today. Early and often.

Discuss the results of elections here.

Re: Do Your Civic Duty

This is my first time voting, so I'm pretty excited.

Legend

hell, I live in Canada and im excited

Deity

Karl Rove predicts an Obama blowout:

The final Rove & Co. electoral map of the 2008 election cycle points to a 338-200 Barack Obama electoral vote victory over John McCain tomorrow, the largest electoral margin since 1996. All remaining toss-up states have been allocated to the candidate leading in them, with Florida (27 EV) going to Obama, and Indiana (11 EV), Missouri (11 EV), North Carolina (15 EV), and North Dakota (3 EV) going to McCain. The two candidates are in a dead heat in Missouri and North Carolina, but they go to McCain because the most recent polls conducted over this past weekend show him narrowly ahead. Florida, too, could end up in McCain's column since he's benefited from recent movement in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;366391;
    Vote today. Early and often.

Discuss the results of elections here.
    And even if you're not a Californian, vote no on Prop 9 and no on the repeal gay marriage referendum.

God I hope it gets decriminalized.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;366402;
    This is my first time voting, so I'm pretty excited.
    I remember my first election as a registered voter. That day, W's daddy lost his reelection bid :thumbsup: .

RICHMOND

John McCain's presidential campaign filed a federal suit Monday against Virginia seeking to extend by 10 days the deadline for the state's acceptance of military members' federal absentee ballots.

Word of the suit emerged Monday afternoon, around the time that a separate election-related injunction request to extend voting hours in today's election was being rejected in federal court.

A national voter rights group, the Advancement Project, and the state NAACP chapter sued the state last week claiming unfair election practices and sought court action to change the distribution of voting machines in Norfolk, Richmond and Virginia Beach, extend polling hours and permit wider use of paper ballots.

Judge Richard Williams did not grant the immediate injunction, though the suit is expected to proceed at a later date. In his ruling, Williams reasoned that last-minute changes to the election format could harm the public in the name of protecting voters potentially disenfranchised by current state election laws.

The McCain suit, meanwhile, seeks an injunction to extend the date by which federal write-in absentee ballots must be received to be counted. The current deadline is today, but the suit seeks to have the date changed to Nov. 14.

"Because many counties in Virginia failed to mail absentee ballots in time to our men and women in uniform stationed overseas, service members are being disenfranchised because they are unable to return their ballots before the November 4 deadline," campaign spokeswoman Gail Gitcho said in a written statement about the suit, which is scheduled to be heard in Williams' courtroom at 1:30 p.m. today.

Chesapeake, Suffolk and Virginia Beach are among the localities cited in the lawsuit as those that mailed absentee ballots overseas in late September. The suit argues that service members didn't have enough time to cast their votes and return them stateside.

Estimates range between federal agencies, but systemic impediments to overseas voting are seen as a hindrance that keeps service members stationed abroad from voting with the same success rate as the domestic population.

I know for a fact that the late ballot story is true, because I vote in Virginia. I am currently in New Hampshire doing interviews and requested my ballot long ago knowing I would be here at this time. I did not receive my ballot until this last Saturday at 5:00 (mailed out of Va on the 28th). By time I got it, filled it out, and took it to the mail center (last pickup in Portsmouth) it was too late for saturday pickup so most likely my vote won't be counted. The state's run by liberals, and the majority of the absentee ballots will be cast by military (who generally vote republican) so you wonder if there was something weird going on.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

Deity

*Adjusts tinfoil hat*

Fenway Resident

Just voted. Man I lucked out, I was there for just 5 minutes
    "See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;366416;
    *Adjusts tinfoil hat*

Just stating the facts, not trying to start a controversy. Just saying I know a lot of people (myself included) that requested absentee ballots and they were not mailed out until Oct 28th.....doesn't make much sense.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' --Ronald Reagan

I'm actually not voting. I would, but I tried too late to get an absentee, and am still registered to vote over two hours from where I currently am living. If I lived in a state other than Vermont where my vote mattered I would definitely just sack up and make the drive, but in this particular case my vote isnt worth the gas money and time it'd take to get there.

Gubernatorially, however, my vote might actually be missed. I guess since there are three mediocre candidates I shouldn't be too upset about that part....

Still, I feel bad.
    Everybody wants a piece of me. Nobody can stomach the whole thing

Voted today for McCain. I think Obama will win, but i think that the support for Barack has been over exagurated by the press, and it will be much closer than people anticipate.
    "Knicks suck, Jets suck, Yankees suck"

-Peter Griffin, talking to a New Yorker

Quote Originally Posted by Soxfan#1;366409;
    God I hope it gets decriminalized.
    I'm pretty sure it will. I 'm leaving in a few minutes to vote yes, and give it +1 towards being decriminalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradisecity;366427;
    I'm actually not voting. I would, but I tried too late to get an absentee, and am still registered to vote over two hours from where I currently am living. If I lived in a state other than Vermont where my vote mattered I would definitely just sack up and make the drive, but in this particular case my vote isnt worth the gas money and time it'd take to get there.

Gubernatorially, however, my vote might actually be missed. I guess since there are three mediocre candidates I shouldn't be too upset about that part....

Still, I feel bad.
    Haven't you gotten your drivers' license corrected yet?

When I moved a few years ago and got my new address on my license, I registered to vote under the Motor-Voter Act.