Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yankees Sign Jason Johnson

Re: Yankees Sign Jason Johnson

Wow, Andy Petitte....if this was 1998 I would be uptight
    but its not, Petitte has nothing and this is a mercy contract that the Steinbrenners are fond of giving their has been vets.
    a good backup plan when sabby goes down with knee surgery around memorial day and at that point Johnson will have had 5 starts in place of Carol Burnett.
    In all honesty the disgrace thrust upon the franchise and arod specifically takes a lot of pressure of sabby and the other guys they signed, call it a blessing in disguise unless arod comes out of april hitting 185 with 2 hrs...but thats not alex,
    hes likely to hit 20 in april, 45 for the year and then fall apart in october.
    the yanks have depth and are the prohibitive favorite to win it all....again
    5 more weeks and then we see whos got what.

A mercy contract? It isnt like a Bernie situation where it was clear he had nothing to offer. I do agree that Pettitte's stuff has taken a U tunr over the past 2 yrs, but he's far from mercy contract worthy. He's a durable arm to man the #4 spot in the regular season rotation and a guy who I'd say ends up in the pen if all players are healthy come playoff time. He's thrown 190IP in 11 of his 14 seasons including the last 4 where he's broken 200IP every time. And his 2008 wasnt exactly terrible. His WHIP improved from 07, his K/9IP were up to 7 from 5.9 and his BB total was down. If it wasnt for a swoon in August, he'd have been much more marketable.

I can safely say that Pettitte should throw 200IP again for us and I would assume he can give us a 4.5 or so ERA, which is more than most teams can say out of their #4 starter
    Hal sucks

Deity

Tim Wakefield?

All-Star

Pettite is better. And isn't Wake their #5?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKilo;385187;
    Tim Wakefield?
    Wake has been nowhere near as durable over the past few yrs
    Hal sucks