Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gom smackdown

Gom smackdown

After having succeeded in my little social experiment, it is about time I lay the smackdown on Gom.

To start, as a true blue Yankee fan, I question Gom’s loyalty and love of the Yankees. Yes, you go to the games and I am glad someone is filling those seats. But just as one could throw jewelry at their beaten and cheated on wife, you can buy tickets to the game. As a fan of the Yankees, you must have the best interests of the club in mind when making comments that you parlay as being original and well thought out (more on this later). But instead, you show the complete opposite. Instead, I think you are a fan of winning only. And the fact that the Yankees had been the biggest winners through your youth may be the only true reason why you state your fandom. You have stated before that this yr is all that matters, that the present is all you care about. Is that someone who is a true fan of a team that may be in need of an overhaul? Or is that someone who doesn’t want to lose his bragging rights to his Mets and Sox buddies? I’d go with the latter. And you prove it every single day. You continue to spout negative remarks on the future of minor leaguers and rookies in our system when you have seen only glimpses of them. Guys who at 22 yrs old, you are labeling as duds. How do you know? Have you followed them? Of course not. But if they start to develop their potential into production, you'll be the first person to slap on the kneepads and start slurping.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg of course. Your “labeling” of players as being terrible from one at bat is comical to say the least. And while the level headed posters on this site say, well it was one at bat, or it was one pitch. Or even the obvious, they are kids, they are gonna be inconsistent. You go to another level. Drawing on your immense high school baseball past, you try and pretend like you know the mechanics of a major league swing or pitch to the level of an advanced scout. And when anyone dare question your prior experience, you say that you could have tried out for the Hofstra baseball team, but probably wouldn’t have made it. That’s like saying you were the shortest midget in Disney’s production of “It’s a Small World”. And in case you don’t understand that last sentence, I can put it bluntly, you sucked at baseball. And while the mantra for teachers may be, those who can’t do, teach, it isn’t the same for baseball. Those who can’t play, can’t teach or scout. So don’t draw on your own experiences, they were far too useless for you to get anything out of it, or for you to gain any credibility on this site.

Now its on to the little social experiment. I thought of it when you started the thread on Molina being better for the Yankees than Posada. And as every single sox fan told you that you were crazy, you stuck to your guns. Now, your thought isn’t very original. Michael Kay brings it up every time Molina catches. “Well, Paul, you cannot underestimate the defensive value that Molina brings to the game. He might even be more valuable than Posada.” He’s said that a few more times in the past and each time, I wanted to choke him. But he didnt go to Gom’s extreme. No, Gom chose to take his point and go one further. And aside from all evidence presented by ORS, Kilo, Me or anyone else, Gom continued to hang onto his delusions. This obviously wasn’t the first time Gom has been deluded, but it’s the most recent example. And delusions being a key word. Delusions are fixed, false beliefs. So, I decided to use that term for every post Gom made. My hope was to see if he would follow his unoriginal ways and copy me. And yes, he has. With his new phrase clueless idiot. First he tried to lure me out with feaux doc. Then, seeing as that did not work, he copied me. Something he does all the time. The lack of originality is incredible.

So in closing, I think I have touched upon three areas of contention I have with Gom. The first, Gom is not a Yankee fan, but a fan of winning. If Gom was a sox fan, I’d put him in the same boat as the pink hats, Matt Damon, and that pole smoker Ben Affleck. The second point, Gom pretends to be an expert while he was never very good in the first place and certainly is not qualified to make the scouting comments that he frequently makes (most of them being wrong anyway). And third, he lacks originality as shown by my little experiment. Good day to you all.
    Hal sucks

Re: Gom smackdown

Uh oh! Get it on!!!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This is my rifle....

I disagree that someone who couldn't play can't scout or teach. Biomechanics are a field studied by a boatload of people who I suspect weren't all very good at baseball, yet their input is important to instructing people what positions to get into for maximum power. A good eye for what makes a player good does not require that one was able to do those things when they played.

Other than that, I have no argument with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by ORS;408737;
    I disagree that someone who couldn't play can't scout or teach. Biomechanics are a field studied by a boatload of people who I suspect weren't all very good at baseball, yet their input is important to instructing people what positions to get into for maximum power. A good eye for what makes a player good does not require that one was able to do those things when they played.

Other than that, I have no argument with this post.
    I can agree with that point. But you are talking about people whose life is to study biomechanics. Something Gom has already said he hasnt done. Him drawing solely off his high school baseball background for scouting purposes is just downright hilarious.
    Hal sucks

This is my rifle....

Yeah, but he also watchezzz the gamezzzz.

Legend

he's simply a fan of winning and antagonizing. it's rare you see a Gom appearance when the Yankees aren't doing so well and the Sox are rolling

DAVE R0BRTSUN ROOLZ

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;408734 View Post
    After having succeeded in my little social experiment, it is about time I lay the smackdown on Gom.

To start, as a true blue Yankee fan, I question Gom’s loyalty and love of the Yankees. Yes, you go to the games and I am glad someone is filling those seats. But just as one could throw jewelry at their beaten and cheated on wife, you can buy tickets to the game. As a fan of the Yankees, you must have the best interests of the club in mind when making comments that you parlay as being original and well thought out (more on this later). But instead, you show the complete opposite. Instead, I think you are a fan of winning only. And the fact that the Yankees had been the biggest winners through your youth may be the only true reason why you state your fandom. You have stated before that this yr is all that matters, that the present is all you care about. Is that someone who is a true fan of a team that may be in need of an overhaul? Or is that someone who doesn’t want to lose his bragging rights to his Mets and Sox buddies? I’d go with the latter. And you prove it every single day. You continue to spout negative remarks on the future of minor leaguers and rookies in our system when you have seen only glimpses of them. Guys who at 22 yrs old, you are labeling as duds. How do you know? Have you followed them? Of course not. But if they start to develop their potential into production, you'll be the first person to slap on the kneepads and start slurping.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg of course. Your “labeling” of players as being terrible from one at bat is comical to say the least. And while the level headed posters on this site say, well it was one at bat, or it was one pitch. Or even the obvious, they are kids, they are gonna be inconsistent. You go to another level. Drawing on your immense high school baseball past, you try and pretend like you know the mechanics of a major league swing or pitch to the level of an advanced scout. And when anyone dare question your prior experience, you say that you could have tried out for the Hofstra baseball team, but probably wouldn’t have made it. That’s like saying you were the shortest midget in Disney’s production of “It’s a Small World”. And in case you don’t understand that last sentence, I can put it bluntly, you sucked at baseball. And while the mantra for teachers may be, those who can’t do, teach, it isn’t the same for baseball. Those who can’t play, can’t teach or scout. So don’t draw on your own experiences, they were far too useless for you to get anything out of it, or for you to gain any credibility on this site.

Now its on to the little social experiment. I thought of it when you started the thread on Molina being better for the Yankees than Posada. And as every single sox fan told you that you were crazy, you stuck to your guns. Now, your thought isn’t very original. Michael Kay brings it up every time Molina catches. “Well, Paul, you cannot underestimate the defensive value that Molina brings to the game. He might even be more valuable than Posada.” He’s said that a few more times in the past and each time, I wanted to choke him. But he didnt go to Gom’s extreme. No, Gom chose to take his point and go one further. And aside from all evidence presented by ORS, Kilo, Me or anyone else, Gom continued to hang onto his delusions. This obviously wasn’t the first time Gom has been deluded, but it’s the most recent example. And delusions being a key word. Delusions are fixed, false beliefs. So, I decided to use that term for every post Gom made. My hope was to see if he would follow his unoriginal ways and copy me. And yes, he has. With his new phrase clueless idiot. First he tried to lure me out with feaux doc. Then, seeing as that did not work, he copied me. Something he does all the time. The lack of originality is incredible.

So in closing, I think I have touched upon three areas of contention I have with Gom. The first, Gom is not a Yankee fan, but a fan of winning. If Gom was a sox fan, I’d put him in the same boat as the pink hats, Matt Damon, and that pole smoker Ben Affleck. The second point, Gom pretends to be an expert while he was never very good in the first place and certainly is not qualified to make the scouting comments that he frequently makes (most of them being wrong anyway). And third, he lacks originality as shown by my little experiment. Good day to you all.
    Translation:

Gom doesn't look at Mark Melancon and Austin Jackson and see Bruce Sutter and Willie Mays. This makes him something other than a tr00-bl00 Yankee fan. lolwut

Wow. I have a lot to say but am not quite sure how to say it. I joined this board about a month ago (the first board for me) and have enjoyed most of what I've seen. Admittedly, I am an old (53) fart that is not savvy in this thread posting stuff. Initially, I was put off by The Doctor's comments (punting and punching small animals and using a bed post as an anal dilator, as examples). But I've come to appreciate his candor and general knowledge of the game. Sox fans have an almost universal dislike for Yankee fans. However, some Yankee fans are worth listening to. I haven't read to much of Gom's comments. It seems he is not too well liked. But "Jacko" has added depth and continuity most of the time.

I don't understand why there is so much venom in some of these discussions. Call me a pussy, but I think it's mostly a waste of time. I don't want to come off sounding like Rodney King, but some people should post exercising some maturity and civility.

Most everyone who posts here has something to add that we can all enjoy or learn something from.
    If someone says something really stupid or antagonistic, responses should be thought out and dealt with accordingly. I'm here to have fun and share a common interest with like minded people.
    I hope everyone shares that desire.

Flame wars are extremely fun.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;408761;
    Translation:

Gom doesn't look at Mark Melancon and Austin Jackson and see Bruce Sutter and Willie Mays. This makes him something other than a tr00-bl00 Yankee fan. lolwut
    Your admiration for Gom is a little off-putting, as is the text message type abbreviations I see everywhere. I mean, are you writing your post from a phone? I may just be an old fart, having recently entered my 3rd decade, but I'm in my prime damnit, and I will type the words out!

I acknowledge that it is hard to look at guys like Melancon and Jackson and see much at all one way or the other. Of course, when someone blows their top because the Sox trade for Jason Bay--a proven MLB talent who was clearly one of the best COF options in all of baseball, in his prime, affordable, type A, all of it. I can understand having mixed views about minor leaguers (in both directions, whether they become Mays or Burks), but you can do better with guys who have a track record.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;408770;
    as is the text message type abbreviations I see everywhere. I mean, are you writing your post from a phone? I may just be an old fart, having recently entered my 3rd decade, but I'm in my prime damnit, and I will type the words out!
    Its a mocking mechanism.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;408771;
    Its a mocking mechanism.
    Why not just mock on your own, instead of using a mechanism? Is mocking too hard on its own?

Jeter Jeter peter eater RedSoxRooter's Avatar

I guess I can't really trash anyone since my most frequent posts are "GO SOX!" and :dunno: with sumthing spelt wrowng cuz the damn beer.

But I do like Jackson a whole lot more as of this moment. Well done, Sir!

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;408734;

That post is about to explode with WIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;408765;
    Wow. I have a lot to say but am not quite sure how to say it. I joined this board about a month ago (the first board for me) and have enjoyed most of what I've seen. Admittedly, I am an old (53) fart that is not savvy in this thread posting stuff. Initially, I was put off by The Doctor's comments (punting and punching small animals and using a bed post as an anal dilator, as examples). But I've come to appreciate his candor and general knowledge of the game. Sox fans have an almost universal dislike for Yankee fans. However, some Yankee fans are worth listening to. I haven't read to much of Gom's comments. It seems he is not too well liked. But "Jacko" has added depth and continuity most of the time.

I don't understand why there is so much venom in some of these discussions. Call me a pussy, but I think it's mostly a waste of time. I don't want to come off sounding like Rodney King, but some people should post exercising some maturity and civility.

Most everyone who posts here has something to add that we can all enjoy or learn something from.
    If someone says something really stupid or antagonistic, responses should be thought out and dealt with accordingly. I'm here to have fun and share a common interest with like minded people.
    I hope everyone shares that desire.
    All of the above, is, in fact, true, however, sometimes a little insult here and there can spice things up, but Gom takes it a bit to the extreme and he just flat out annoys people.

That being said, i think he's just a little immature, but he's a nice guy deep,deep,deep,deep,deep inside, and a lot of his ideas do have some or a lot of originality to them, and they would be much more respected if he didn't try to shove them down our throats as if they were universal truths.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;408770;
    Your admiration for Gom is a little off-putting, as is the text message type abbreviations I see everywhere. I mean, are you writing your post from a phone? I may just be an old fart, having recently entered my 3rd decade, but I'm in my prime damnit, and I will type the words out!

I acknowledge that it is hard to look at guys like Melancon and Jackson and see much at all one way or the other. Of course, when someone blows their top because the Sox trade for Jason Bay--a proven MLB talent who was clearly one of the best COF options in all of baseball, in his prime, affordable, type A, all of it. I can understand having mixed views about minor leaguers (in both directions, whether they become Mays or Burks), but you can do better with guys who have a track record.
    Still, so much pessimism can sometimes wear on others, and about the slang, don't take it as an insult, but you're being a douche by calling J_E out on that, he does it on good fun, as sometimes does Kilo, CD, or myself, posting styles is something that should be respected.
    WAR is good for something.