Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GOM's plan for Yankee dominance

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Re: GOM's plan for Yankee dominance

Quote Originally Posted by example1;498412;

The common rap on Holliday is that he can be beat by fastballs on the inside part of the plate.

To whatever degree that's true it didn't keep him from being able to be very productive this year. Whether good pitchers are able to take advantage of it or not is another question, but the playoff sample is too small to be certain about it.

I mean, he did only hit .136/.296/.318/.614 in 27 PAs in that one playoff round. That's pretty bad, so obviously he was being exploited.

Oh, wait, that's actually Mark Teixeira in the World Series.

Holliday hit .167/.231/.417/.647 in his 13 PAs. That's pretty bad, but it alone is not enough to tell me that a career .313 avg/.933 OPS hitter can't hit inside fastballs. That's silly. If they're exploiting something he will adjust. If an inside FB was enough to beat Holliday he wouldn't have had the career he's had.

I also find it interesting to read Gom saying he's probably too expensive. What does this mean, to a Yankee fan? His $$/WARP is too low?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;498415;
    Again, he hit a .341 cumulative batting average on the inside part of the plate, if you face mostly RH pitchers, they mostly don't throw breaking stuff inside to RH hitters, so logic tells you , it's mostly fastballs.
    WAR is good for something.

Banned

And the year before, he was terrible on the inside part of the plate, relative to how he did otherwise.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...kies/holliday/

Go read Example1's post. The book on Holliday is beat him inside with fastballs.

So you got me, Example1 and the advance scouts for the Dodgers. As well as the Dodger pitchers who shut him down by throwing ONE PITCH.

They didn't mix it up and throw curves, or sliders, or changeups. They threw 34 of 36 pitches as FASTBALLS!

I know you can't afford to watch the games down there, but I saw every pitch this guy saw in the NLDS. It was a fucking broken record. He saw only two pitches in three games that weren't fastballs. He hit one of them for a homer. That was it. He did nothing else.

You really should pick your arguments more carefully. You've yet to win one against me.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;498418;
    And the year before, he was terrible on the inside part of the plate, relative to how he did otherwise.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...kies/holliday/

Go read Example1's post. The book on Holliday is beat him inside with fastballs.

So you got me, Example1 and the advance scouts for the Dodgers. As well as the Dodger pitchers who shut him down by throwing ONE PITCH.

They didn't mix it up and throw curves, or sliders, or changeups. They threw 34 of 36 pitches as FASTBALLS!

I know you can't afford to watch the games down there, but I saw every pitch this guy saw in the NLDS. It was a fucking broken record. He saw only two pitches in three games that weren't fastballs. He hit one of them for a homer. That was it. He did nothing else.

You really should pick your arguments more carefully. You've yet to win one against me.
    Using "The year before".

This year he hit .341. THIS YEAR.

The white flag has been raised.

And the fact that you don't concede when you lose in an argument doesn't mean you didn't lose it. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by example1;498412;
    This is stupid.

The common rap on Holliday is that he can be beat by fastballs on the inside part of the plate.

To whatever degree that's true it didn't keep him from being able to be very productive this year. Whether good pitchers are able to take advantage of it or not is another question, but the playoff sample is too small to be certain about it.

Holliday hit .167/.231/.417/.647 in his 13 PAs. That's pretty bad, but it alone is not enough to tell me that a career .313 avg/.933 OPS hitter can't hit inside fastballs. That's silly. If they're exploiting something he will adjust. If an inside FB was enough to beat Holliday he wouldn't have had the career he's had.

All of this was conveniently ignored by Gom. :lol::lol:

Banned

So explain to me genius? If he murders the inside fastball....

Why did they pitch him just fastballs...and two thirds of all the pitches he saw were inside fastballs....and he shit the bed?

Every scouting report I read on this guy said he had trouble with the inside fastball and that he murders breaking pitches.

Of course, you know everything.

By the way, it's not whether I win an argument or not. It's the fact you're too retarded to realize that you don't.

You are assuming that he got pitched evenly...at an even dispersion...and all the pitches are the same with a percentage that you arbitrarily choose.

I repeat...I SAW....36 pitches. 34 fastballs. 20 inside [I'll assume ESPN was correct, I deleted the games from my DVR]. One extra base hit...off of a curveball.

Until you can explain how me, example1 and advance dodger scouts all see one thing, and you see another, pour yourself a nice, frosty mug of shut the fuck up.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;498423;

Why did they pitch him just fastballs...and two thirds of all the pitches he saw were inside fastballs....and he shit the bed?

Every scouting report I read on this guy said he had trouble with the inside fastball and that he murders breaking pitches.

By the way, it's not whether I win an argument or not. It's the fact you're too retarded to realize that you don't.

You are assuming that he got pitched evenly...at an even dispersion...and all the pitches are the same with a percentage that you arbitrarily choose.

I repeat...I SAW....36 pitches. 34 fastballs. 20 inside [I'll assume ESPN was correct, I deleted the games from my DVR]. One extra base hit...off of a curveball.

Until you can explain how me, example1 and advance dodger scouts all see one thing, and you see another, pour yourself a nice, frosty mug of shut the fuck up.
    Left handed-pitchers, (Kershaw, Wolf,Kuo, Sherrill) usually throw the heat inside to RHH due to handedness.

For someone who claims to know so much about baseball, you sure don't know a lot about pitch selection.

For that matter, Kershaw also pitched Pujols inside a lot during game two. I guess he can't hit the inside fastball either amirite?

Major Leaguer

it'll be hilarious if Boras successfully delivers Holliday to the Yankees and Gom has to like his new left fielder...

Major Leaguer

I agree completely on Lackey. He is the exact kind of player we need

Can your team actually develop a legit starting pitcher without having to buy one?

Sabathia/ Burnett/ and maybe.... Lackey.

God, you simply haven't developed a consistent starter since Andy Pettitte.

Wang was a flameout. The team has screwed around Chamberlin with these retarded Joba Rules I, II, III and we still have no idea if Phil Hughes will truely be a quality starter.
    Somebody kick Papelbon in the coconuts

A special decade for the Red Sox: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/12/29/n...-sox-in-2000s/
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...ox-trump-yanks

About holliday. Because Holliday, in Gom's eyes, didn't hit well in one series, he shouldn't be signed. So were you against the new contract of A-rod, who before this year hadn't hit in the playoffs since '04. Do you want he Yankees to trade away Tex because he sucked in the WS this year.

Gom give up, your argument is stupid. Because he did bad against 36 pitches he shouldn't be signed is prolly the stupidest thing i have ever heard. Heard of a Slump. Every hitter has their weak spots. But Dipre's evidence of his .341 BA in the inside part of the plate.

You and Holliday are very similar. You both dropped fly balls in the Playoffs.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;498431;
    You and Holliday are very similar. You both dropped fly balls in the Playoffs.
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;498432;
    Awesome.
    i found the real reason you hate him. :lol::lol:
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

No, Gom's balls never dropped bsox, you must be confusing him with someone else
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;498436;
    No, Gom's balls never dropped bsox, you must be confusing him with someone else
    You seem to be infatuated with my balls. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;498423;

Holy shit Gom, you really are a little sensitive today. Anywho, what's not to get? He kills inside pitches. Most pitches are fastballs. Of he struggled a whole lot against that inside fastball, then why does he kill inside pitches so much? Its really not rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;498414;
    I was really interested in watching him since I thought he was a great addition, regardless of the money. After seeing him, I changed my mind. It's like Soriano. An amazing hitter against mediocre pitchers, but against guys who can locate? Lost.
    I hope your logic holds and the Red Sox can be the ceiling setters in negotiations.

Anyways, 150 million or so for a player who built a career out of Coors and the National League and couldn't hit a lick in the AL and from what I saw, couldn't turn on an inside fastball? I'll pass.
    .299/.400/.480/.880, 10 HR, 12 SB

Those are Matt Holliday's numbers for the final 75 of the 93 games he played in Oakland. That's May, June and July. He is being held responsible for getting off to a slow start in his first 18 games in a new city, in a new league, in the early spring. Honestly, I'm all for that theory to take on a life of it's own, because I hope it will devalue him.

It means he isn't going to be worth the money he's asking for, relatively speaking. Why did the Yankees win this year? As you mentioned, Tex was shit at the plate. They won because they had the best pitching in baseball. Throwing that much money at a hitter who is not without serious flaws IMO is a waste. Allocate that money towards short term deals with older players and wait for a good young player, like a Crawford becomes a free agent. Tie up pitching so that next year we can go with a four man rotation instead of a three man one.
    Teixeira is still a good enough player to be a threat every time he's at the plate. I used him because I think he's obviously a great player, so if his numbers look poor it is likely just a phase. Holliday having a monster second half and then getting completely shut down by a mediocre Dodger's pitching staff? Sounds fishy. Roughly as fishy as believing that Teixeira is overmatched against good pitching. Anyone can be overmatched, but good players adjust.