Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 25 Man Roster for 2010

Re: Red Sox 25 Man Roster for 2010

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;515010;
    I'd go with Gomes over Tatis. I agree that we need a RH bat to fill the spot.

I agree on Gomes, but I would choose him only in the event that there'd be a fight between the Sox and Yankees. Granted, Gomes is no Kyle Farnsworth, but I'm sure he's itching to fight a couple of the Yankees, and if s*** ever did go down, Gomes would probably pay for himself. Although Gomes screams Willy Mo Pena to me.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;515022;
    I think the only reason we haven't already signed Green is he wants to see if some weak team with a hole at SS might get desperate. Amazingly enough he's one of the best remaining free agent SS right now, and there may be a team out there who's desperate enough to let him start.
    He'd have to wait until both Felipe Lopez and Miguel Tejada are off the market. That may not be such a good idea.
    WAR is good for something.

Felipe Lopez is a 2B. Agreed on Tejada.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;515025;
    I agree on Gomes, but I would choose him only in the event that there'd be a fight between the Sox and Yankees. Granted, Gomes is no Kyle Farnsworth, but I'm sure he's itching to fight a couple of the Yankees, and if s*** ever did go down, Gomes would probably pay for himself. Although Gomes screams Willy Mo Pena to me.
    Another reason I wish the Yanks still had Farnsworth. A Gomes v. Farnsworth brawl would be unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;515025;
    He has less power than WMP but makes more contact. Dude has a .801 OPS, but he's the type of hitter that gets exposed if given regular AB's. He's the perfect bench bat. But his defense. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;515029;
    Another reason I wish the Yanks still had Farnsworth. A Gomes v. Farnsworth brawl would be unbelievable.
    That might be the one fight in which nobody intervened. You'd even fill Petco with that kind of attraction. You just don't break up fights like that.

I'd go for Tatis because besides a better corner outfield glove than Gomes', he can put the nail in Kotchman's coffin by playing corner infield.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;515027;
    Felipe Lopez is a 2B. Agreed on Tejada.
    I know. But if some team's desperate enough to give Green a shot, they might bank on Lopez' history and superior bat too.

He's played 602 major league games at SS vs. only 300 at 2B. That has value.

Sure, but he's -11 there in career UZR/150, and Green is +4.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;515031;
    That might be the one fight in which nobody intervened. You'd even fill Petco with that kind of attraction. You just don't break up fights like that.
    Gomes would kick the Professor's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;515030;
    He has less power than WMP but makes more contact. Dude has a .801 OPS, but he's the type of hitter that gets exposed if given regular AB's. He's the perfect bench bat. But his defense. Ugh.
    But he's another low average, high power, low BB's, high K's, and poor defense player. At least Adam Dunn could draw walks. While I'm not saying that Gomes is s***, I just think this is a lot like what we thought we'd get out of Willy Mo Pena, so if Gomes can live up to this past season then he'd probably be worth it. At least we won't have to give up an Arroyo to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;515034;
    Sure, but he's -11 there in career UZR/150, and Green is +4.
    Yeah but Green has played 104 games at SS. Teams could call "fluke" on it and go for the known quantity and superior bat.

Quote Originally Posted by italstallianion;515036;
    But he's another low average, high power, low BB's, high K's, and poor defense player. At least Adam Dunn could draw walks. While I'm not saying that Gomes is s***, I just think this is a lot like what we thought we'd get out of Willy Mo Pena, so if Gomes can live up to this past season then he'd probably be worth it. At least we won't have to give up an Arroyo to get him.
    As i said, he's the kind of guy better suited for a bench role, and he's better than WMP at getting on base (which is not saying much).

All-Star

1. Ellsbury
    2. Pedrioa
    3. Martinez
    4. Youkilis
    5. Ortiz
    6. Beltre
    7. Drew
    8. Cameron
    9. Scutaro

Not a bad offense, probably slightly above the average run of the mill AL offense. Really wish we could have that big pat in the 4 spot and move Youk up the three spot, but that will have to wait to the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMino007;515055;
    1. Ellsbury
    2. Pedrioa
    3. Martinez
    4. Youkilis
    5. Ortiz
    6. Beltre
    7. Drew
    8. Cameron
    9. Scutaro

Not a bad offense, probably slightly above the average run of the mill AL offense. Really wish we could have that big pat in the 4 spot and move Youk up the three spot, but that will have to wait to the trade deadline.
    This is probably still a top five offense in the AL. Slightly above average is an understatement IMO.