Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adopt a prospect

Re: Adopt a prospect

Ryan Lavarnway's line split between A+ and AA through 533 PAs: .289/.396/.497 (.893 OPS), 22 HRs, 27 doubles, 96 RBIs, 90 runs scored.
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

I"ll take Oscar Tejeda
    Bruins,Patriots,Redsox,Celtics,ND Football,BC BasketBall,Team USA

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;525131;
    Josh Reddick - Dojji
    Daniel Nava - Dojji
    Well I was one for two.

In keeping with the spirit of the exercise, I would like to claim RF Chih-Hsien Chiang. Fairly youngish former second baseman, converted to the OF. Limited experience on defense shows from time to time and his approach needs work, but you can see where effectiveness could come from with this guy, he's got a good swing and if he can refine his approach he could breakout. I don't ever think he'll be a starter here, but if he can put a couple good years together in the upper minors he'll have a big league future somewhere. I'd be willing to take a chance that the kid can improve with reps, and he's only 22 so he's got some time. In terms of darkhorse potential, Chiang is one of our bigger ones right now -- not by any means an established top prospect, but with more than enough tools and talent to become one with the right coaching and a bit of luck.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Nava got exposed with more playing time. He is not a major league regular
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;575942;
    Nava got exposed with more playing time. He is not a major league regular
    I think it's too early to make that conclusion. He does need some work, though.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

i'll take reymond fuentes

EDIT: at the age of 19, he's still very raw but he's got game changing speed, great contact skills and hits the ball to all parts of the field. his .273/.332/.384 batting line at greenville this year won't jump out at anyone but that's pretty respectable considering he's one of the youngest players in the league. he also stole 41 bases in 46 attempts, hit 15 doubles, 3 triples and 5 home runs. he's got plenty of potential to develop more power as he fills out

if he can improve his pitch selection, he could become the elite prospect that the red sox were hoping they'd get with their first round draft pick last year
    budda yaz - i'm trying to be nice so cut me some slack

We should probably update the thread to make it official who has what prospect and that we can all start our own prospect threads.

Somehow the concept of this thread never took hold. Too bad. Lots of interesting developments in the Sox minor leagues.

Edit: Hats off to Dojji.

He made a good call.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Sideburn;576120;
    i'll take reymond fuentes

EDIT: at the age of 19, he's still very raw but he's got game changing speed, great contact skills and hits the ball to all parts of the field. his .273/.332/.384 batting line at greenville this year won't jump out at anyone but that's pretty respectable considering he's one of the youngest players in the league. he also stole 41 bases in 46 attempts, hit 15 doubles, 3 triples and 5 home runs. he's got plenty of potential to develop more power as he fills out

if he can improve his pitch selection, he could become the elite prospect that the red sox were hoping they'd get with their first round draft pick last year
    Good sleeper pick. He's holding his own as a 19yr old in the long season leagues. When he fills out, he should start hitting for a bit more power.
    Hal sucks

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;576286;
    Somehow the concept of this thread never took hold. Too bad. Lots of interesting developments in the Sox minor leagues.

Edit: Hats off to Dojji.

He made a good call.
    Personally I'm waiting to delve into this thread for the offseason and 2011. 2010 is dead to me on many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;576354;
    Good sleeper pick. He's holding his own as a 19yr old in the long season leagues. When he fills out, he should start hitting for a bit more power.
    yeah, i don't like his approach to the plate or his weak arm but he was the most exciting prospect still available
    budda yaz - i'm trying to be nice so cut me some slack

What happened to Lars Andersen?

John Moynagh Boston

What happened to Lars Anderson?

John Moynagh Boston

Your post exceeded your signature by exactly two words.

What happened to Lars was simple. In the words of the immortal Montgomery Scott, she dinnae have the power. Lars never developed the ability to drive the ball in higher levels that people (myself included) were sure he would do, and he's likely too one-dimensional defensively to make a big league bench, at least in the American League where so much emphasis is placed on versatility among the pineriders.

He does still have some time to turn it around. He's only 23, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he gets himself up to at least the Lyle Overbay range of offense as he rounds into his mid 20's. But the odds are now stacked against him, since any power surge will be regarded with skepticism both on a PED and on a sustainability front.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Banned

Can I adopt Jackie Bradley Jr?