Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Did Off-Field Issues Slow Pedroia?

Did Off-Field Issues Slow Pedroia?

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- His older brother went to prison for a sex crime, and almost without fail, the papers identified the perpetrator as "Dustin Pedroia's brother."

His father, Guy, received death threats at the family's tire store after an interview his son gave in which he was quoted as saying his hometown was "a dump."

His wife, Kelli, was in and out of the hospital because of complications with her first pregnancy, relief not coming to the anxious couple until their son, Dylan, was born healthy in August.

"It was tough," Dustin Pedroia said in an all-but-empty Sox clubhouse late last week after he and Adrian Beltre had each taken 100 or so swings in extra batting practice.

"I dealt with a lot of [stuff] last year. My biggest thing was, you just got to find a way to get through it. When I got to the yard, I tried to concentrate on baseball. When I got home, I had to do all I could to keep everything under control, or at least make it seem like it was under control."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...don&id=4976286

This may explain why Pedroia saw a drops in his offensive production last year, and produced below his career averages at age 25. It will be interesting to see if he bounces back like Drew did in 2008 after dealing with family issues.
    "I don't know what to throw to you." - Joe Mauer
    "Neither does the rest of the league." - Dustin Pedroia

Re: Did Off-Field Issues Slow Pedroia?

bounces back in what sense? Pedroia may have been "below his career averages" -- by about .007 OPS -- but he was definitely still way above the league average for a 2B. He doesn't get a bounceback, he just gets to improve on another solid year.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;528231;
    bounces back in what sense? Pedroia may have been "below his career averages" -- by about .007 OPS -- but he was definitely still way above the league average for a 2B. He doesn't get a bounceback, he just gets to improve on another solid year.
    Actually, Pedroia fell by .050 points of OPS at an age when most players are improving.
    "I don't know what to throw to you." - Joe Mauer
    "Neither does the rest of the league." - Dustin Pedroia

The story about his brother hit the newswires either at the beginning of the 2009 season or right before it started. I thought something like that had the potential for causing problems for him, and then his wife had the troublesome pregnancy. It could have had a negative impact on his performance. He did not have one of those hot streaks last season that he had in the prior two seasons. When he gets hot like that, he is impossible to get out.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Pedroia had a good season, but he is definitely capable of more. However, I do think that what he did in 2008 is his ceiling.

Still, it's important to remember that distractions off the field can severely impact your peformance. Baseball players are human, too.
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.