Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan Coming to Red Sox

Re: Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan Coming to Red Sox

Why can't we all just get along?
    "I don't know what to throw to you." - Joe Mauer
    "Neither does the rest of the league." - Dustin Pedroia

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;528126;
    Instead of punching a wall, do us a favor the next time and use your head... literally.
    LMFAO. Ital, sorry, fuckin' owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial59;528129;

Why can't we all just get along?
    If the Joker and Batman can do it, WE ALL CAN DO IT.
    We're sorry, your search for "Fucks Given By Koji Uehara" did not return any results

Damnit Winnie Cooper, why were you always such a cocktease to Kevin?
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Winnie Cooper is a dead ringer for Chieng Ming Wang.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;528187;
    Winnie Cooper is a dead ringer for Chieng Ming Wang.
    OMG, I don't even know where to start with that one!:lol:
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

LOL

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...stPop_Emailed1

The article didn't make it clear. Was he literally run out of New York?

Oh and

Pretty funny.

The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;529151;
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...stPop_Emailed1

The article didn't make it clear. Was he literally run out of New York?
    This is what happened in the apartment building on East 54th Street in October: A realtor was showing the apartment next to Tynan’s and asked if Tynan would say hello to some prospective buyers. The realtor told Tynan the prospective buyers were “a couple of nice Jewish ladies.’’ Tynan warned the ladies he often sang in his apartment.

“How’d you like living next to a loud tenor like me?’’ Tynan asked them, jokingly.

Turned out they wouldn’t, and they didn’t buy the apartment. A short time later, another person was looking at the apartment and Tynan was putting the key in his door when a different realtor came out from next door and said they had another prospective buyer.

“Don’t worry,’’ the realtor said, “they’re not Red Sox fans.’’

“As long as they’re not those Jewish ladies,’’ Tynan replied.

The woman looking at the apartment, Dr. Gabrielle Gold-von Simson, stepped into the hallway and asked Tynan to explain himself. Whatever he said, she didn’t buy it.

That isn't anti-Semetic at all. He was only referring to them as the real estate agent had (and there was no reason for the agent to refer to them as "a couple of nice Jewish ladies").

Gold-von Simson, who is Jewish, called the Yankees and asked how they could let an anti-Semite sing “God Bless America.’’

The Yankees took her version of events and couldn’t be bothered to get Tynan’s. The team has declined to discuss the issue publicly, saying it’s an internal matter.

“I never took a dime, singing for the Yankees, and I did anything they asked,’’ he said. “But they wouldn’t even let me give my side.’’

Tynan called Gold-von Simson and apologized, saying he was sick to his stomach, thinking that she would think him a hater. He offered to make a donation to the charity of her choice. Showing far more class than the Yankees, she accepted his apology, and a short time later so did the Anti-Defamation League, which had Tynan sing at their annual dinner in Manhattan.

But others didn’t forgive and some didn’t forget. It ate away at Tynan. He grew up on a farm in Kilkenny, and didn’t even know what anti-Semitism was until he landed in New York. He gradually realized he made his name singing a song written by a Jewish guy who had to change his name to Irving Berlin because his real name sounded too Jewish

A fine example of Political Correctness out of control. Maybe it was ok b/c the real estate agent who referred to them as "a couple of nice Jewish ladies" was Jewish. Give me a break.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want this guy singing anything in Fenway, he will always remind me of singing for the Yankees and it got old game after game. Hope he enjoys living in Boston but, please, no singing during Red Sox games.

Ex-Yankee Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan Wears Red Sox Jersey During 'God Bless America'.

Ronan Tynan, the great tenor, is hardly the first Irishman to land in Boston looking for a fresh start.

It’s not Ireland he’s just left but New York, the city that embraced him and which he hugged back. He became a star in New York, an inspiration. His legs were amputated below the knee, but he became a physician. And then, in his 30s, he discovered that God had planted in his throat a voice that can make hearts rise and eyes rain.

He sang for presidents and he sang at Yankee Stadium, a version of “God Bless America’’ that made the hair stand up on the back of your neck and Yankees fans stand up and cheer. It was a soothing tonic for New Yorkers who would look to where the two great towers once stood in lower Manhattan and feel like crying.

But then he said something in jest that someone considered anti-Semitic and the reservoir of good will he had built up over a decade drained away in seconds. Strangers who once cheered now sneered. A doctor said he would let him die on an operating table if given the chance.

And worse, worst of all, the Yankees dumped him. Wouldn’t even hear his side of the story.

So, the other day, Tynan picked up a pen with the hand that still wears the bulbous World Series ring with the diamond-studded NY and signed a bunch of papers and closed on a place on Lewis Wharf and is now, as he approaches 50, a Bostonian. And as he tries to figure out where, aside from the Four Seasons, he can get a good meal in this town, he wonders where he goes to get his reputation back.

This is what happened in the apartment building on East 54th Street in October: A realtor was showing the apartment next to Tynan’s and asked if Tynan would say hello to some prospective buyers. The realtor told Tynan the prospective buyers were “a couple of nice Jewish ladies.’’ Tynan warned the ladies he often sang in his apartment.

“How’d you like living next to a loud tenor like me?’’ Tynan asked them, jokingly.

Turned out they wouldn’t, and they didn’t buy the apartment. A short time later, another person was looking at the apartment and Tynan was putting the key in his door when a different realtor came out from next door and said they had another prospective buyer.

“Don’t worry,’’ the realtor said, “they’re not Red Sox fans.’’

“As long as they’re not those Jewish ladies,’’ Tynan replied.

The woman looking at the apartment, Dr. Gabrielle Gold-von Simson, stepped into the hallway and asked Tynan to explain himself. Whatever he said, she didn’t buy it.Continued...

Re: Ex-Yankee Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan Wears Red Sox Jersey During 'God Bless America'

Already a thread on this in the General Off Topic section.

Re: Ex-Yankee Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan Wears Red Sox Jersey During 'God Bless America'

Honestly, I kinda feel for Tynan. Yeah, he said something in jest that is offensive. For Pete's sake, we've all been there, just most of us aren't well known singers. I don't think that there's any particular evidence that Tynan is anti-semitic. As far as I'm concerned, no harm no foul. He was an idiot for a split second and has probably learned his lesson, and if the rest of his career is shaped by something this harmless thanks to the PC Police then that's just a danged pity.

We've let what people said once in a moment of anger or humor destroy their careers before, but that doesn't mean it was ever appropriate. All that has to happen for this to be a total nonevent is for Little Miss Ballistic who was looking at the apartment to just laugh it off like most of the rest of us would.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

can a staff member delete this please? you guys seem to be good at that. :lol: