Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparing Red Sox and Yankees lineups.

Re: Comparing Red Sox and Yankees lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by silky kitten;531708;
    Which lineup do you think is better and why?

Ill give my opinion
    C - V-Mart > Posada (Backups = push?)
    1B - Push
    2B - Push
    SS - Jeter > Scutaro
    3B - Arod > Beltre
    LF Ellsbury > Gardner/Thames/Winn
    CF - Push? I don't see much difference between Granderson/Cameron honestly, both hit homers, but have pretty low averages.
    RF - Drew > Swisher.
    DH - Nick Johnson > Ortiz (if he stays healthy and in that ball park, but if ortiz does what he did in 2nd half last year, watch out).
    Seems pretty even, opinions?
    I'd probably give Teixeira a slight edge over Youkilis, Pedroia a slight edge over Cano, Granderson an edge over Cameron, and I'd say the DHs are about even (so many question marks).

With that being said, while the overall lineups might look even the way you put it, the gaps at shortstop and third base are quite large. The Red Sox don't enjoy gaps of that size at any position.

*Talking strictly about offense.

So the discussion should be about batting order and the resulting production.

I did not see a "line-up" on this thread that accurately enumerates the actual sequence that either team uses. As well, other posters have made reference to pitchers and defense. I guess I'm not on an island here.

I live in a major league market where "Line-ups" are discussed for 3 of the 4 big league teams on a daily basis. Without fail, discussion always includes assessment of both defense and offense.

And it always has.

"It's that simple".

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankees228;531788;
    I'd probably give Teixeira a slight edge over Youkilis, Pedroia a slight edge over Cano, Granderson an edge over Cameron, and I'd say the DHs are about even (so many question marks).

With that being said, while the overall lineups might look even the way you put it, the gaps at shortstop and third base are quite large. The Red Sox don't enjoy gaps of that size at any position.

*Talking strictly about offense.
    It's quite simple: The Yankees have a better offense.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;531789;

I did not see a "line-up" on this thread that accurately enumerates the actual sequence that either team uses. As well, other posters have made reference to pitchers and defense. I guess I'm not on an island here.

I live in a major league market where "Line-ups" are discussed for 3 of the 4 big league teams on a daily basis. Without fail, discussion always includes assessment of both defense and offense.

And it always has.

"It's that simple".

Then fight it out with OP, not me. What i said was simply an explanation of of why many people thought it was strictly about offensive production and you took it like i insulted your mother. Take the boxing gloves off, champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;531789;

And it always has.

"It's that simple".
    Spud makes a good point. When you're talking about how good a batter is compared to the league, you have to compare him to his peers, and that would be his positional group. However, when you're trying to compare two entire lineups, I think the best way to do this is by batting order.

With that being said, I do think Dipre is correct, that the OP was referring only to offense. However, it really doesn't matter, as we can easily make this thread about either one, or both.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;531778;

Swisher: UZR -1.3, RAR 36.2, WAR 3.6
    JD Drew:UZR 10.5, RAR 47.6, WAR 4.8
    (UZR = fielding, RAR = runs above replacement, WAR = wins above replacement)
    WAR...! - what is it good for?
    Absolutely nothing!
    Say it again...

:joke:

The Yankees have a better lineup. No one is disputing that. But the Sox have the edge in pitching and defense. We'll see how it plays out.
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper;531815;
    The Yankees have a better lineup. No one is disputing that. But the Sox have the edge in pitching and defense. We'll see how it plays out.
    Do you mean all pitching, or just starting pitching? Because I think you need to separate bullpens from starting pitching when evaluating a team.

sure, but if you separately analyze both facets of pitching, the Red Sox come ahead with both of them so it doesn't make much of a difference.

The Yankees have the best starter and they have the best reliever but we win on overall quality.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;531817;
    sure, but if you separately analyze both facets of pitching, the Red Sox come ahead with both of them so it doesn't make much of a difference.

The Yankees have the best starter and they have the best reliever but we win on overall quality.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Both bullpens are a wash because of question marks IMO.

That's fair. Under the premise that both bullpens are a wash and the Sox have the edge in SP, the Sox would then have a slight edge in overall pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;531817;

I think it's closer than you're making it out to be.

Why even bother y228.
    Hal sucks

Yankees: Massive offensive edge.

Red Sox: Slight pitching and significant defensive edge.