Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DiceK to the DL

All-Star

Re: DiceK to the DL

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;532220;
    For the rest of the time he'll be in boston, Lester, Beckett, Lackey will be in front of him, so I really don't care if pulls a 2008, goes five innings every time out, giving up only 1 run-- the rest of the rotation will burn enough innings it won't be a huge problem. A full season of sub 3 ERA, .210 batting average against, and that many wins in the AL East isn't a fluke. If he wants to be, he can be the best back-end starter in the major leagues.

Might want to check other statistics. Dice-K was one of the luckiest pitchers in 2008.

They should be fine with Clay and Wake.

Palodios, you just contradicted yourself big time in the eyes of the Sabermetricians. I also, do not believe BABIP is applicable to every pitcher as it has its flaws, but on the whole, a pitcher who has a BABIP of .250 is really, really lucky. Also, if you do not think DiceK's 5 inning stints are a drain on the team, then you are crazy. Having Beckett, Lester, and Lackey in front dulls the pain a bit. But 4 innings of pen work every 5th night like clockwork is a problem. It doesnt hurt if everyone else runs like clockwork. But it dissolves your margin for error.
    Hal sucks

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

Dice-K was extremely lucky in 2008. There's really no other way to see it.
    WAR is good for something.

Daisuke Matsuzaka (neck, back) is scheduled to start a minor league game for Triple-A Pawtucket on April 10.

If all goes well in the first start, Dice-K will make two more appearances and then report to Boston. He should be starting big league games by the beginning of May, but that of course is contingent on him avoiding even the slightest of setbacks. And he hasn't quite mastered that art.
    Looks like a May debut for DiceK
    Hal sucks

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;532189;
    If the Red Sox are expecting anything out of this guy, they're nuts.
    If you think that, you have none
    Somebody kick Papelbon in the coconuts

A special decade for the Red Sox: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/12/29/n...-sox-in-2000s/
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/1...ox-trump-yanks

Dice-K & Scutaro for Reyes.

I know he was lucky. I know he walked batters like crazy. I know he's a waste of money. I know he has been going out of his way to make it difficult for the team. But a win's a win, and while some of his numbers were really bad, some of his numbers were really good. I don't think that's too difficult to accept, is it?

Dice-K was 11-1 in the 16 starts he walked three or more batters, which was a testament to his ability to wiggle out of whatever trouble he got himself into, or was it simply luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;532220;
    For the rest of the time he'll be in boston, Lester, Beckett, Lackey will be in front of him, so I really don't care if pulls a 2008, goes five innings every time out, giving up only 1 run-- the rest of the rotation will burn enough innings it won't be a huge problem. A full season of sub 3 ERA, .210 batting average against, and that many wins in the AL East isn't a fluke. If he wants to be, he can be the best back-end starter in the major leagues.
    A back end starter for $104. Mil.

What a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;533050;

What a bargain.
    We were supposed to be getting Japan's "National Treasure." Instead we got fools gold.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

What a bargain.
    Wow, way to read my post.

What a bargain.
    We took a chance on a guy with ace potential and it didn't work. I'd take that chance again anytime.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;533089;
    We took a chance on a guy with ace potential and it didn't work. I'd take that chance again anytime.
    So would I, but when a hugely expensive move fails miserably, it is noteworthy. The FO doesn't get absolved because they tried. They made a bad call obtaining Dice K.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Nope. They made a good call that didn't work out.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;533234;
    Nope. They made a good call that didn't work out.
    So, you believe in no accountability. Then it could be argued that the Yankees made the right call with Carl Pavano and Jose Contreras (after all we wanted both of them). I guess the Mets made te right call with Pedro and the Giants with Zito. Dice K did not stink because of a freak injury or a mishap. He stunk, because he is not that good. His performance in Japan did not translate to the US. Whether it would translate is the call they had to make, and they got it wrong. Period.