Register now to remove this ad

Page 263 of 376 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313363 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 5634

Thread: What Really Grinds My Gears

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox Fan on Cape View Post
    I don't post as often as I used to. But I 'd like to post my thoughts on this topic. You can say I don't know anything on this topic.After, more than I wanted deaths, of close friends, I feel I have to say something. Whatever you current situation is, it can be changed. If you decide to end your life you have zero chances to improve it. I know you will have a better chance of having a better life living then being dead. I went to six funerals in the last month.
    Yeah but you are an undertaker pal.
    Who delivers ten times out of ten? Thats right baby.

Grades.

I missed one class for being sick since 2003, and it just cost me my 4.0 in Grad School. What's even more bullshit is the fact that I was going to go to class anyway (despite likely having the flu) but the teacher via email (and twitter) told me not to go to class. I told her that I didn't want to lose class participation points, but she told me to stay home. She still took a point off of my average for missing the class.

What's more bullshit is that students that didn't participate/read and showed up drunk/high but made each class got perfect participation scores, so it didn't matter that I did the reading or participated in the class discussion, but the fact that I missed one class (due to her telling me not to go) counts against me more than going to all of the classes and not talking.

What's even worse is the fact that in my other classes, a 93/94 is the cutoff to get an A. In her classes, it's a 96. So I had a 95 in the class and still have a fucking A- on my report card. It's not even the fact that I have an A- that pisses me off (because I was probably going to lose the 4.0 eventually) but losing it in that fashion, on class participation is what pisses me off to no end. I really want to send her an ESAD (eat shit and die) letter. I'm looking into my options to appeal but that probably won't work, but it'd at least let a lot of people know that I'm not happy, nor am I one to fuck with.

Banned
    Sports media is really fucking stupid. Actually, subtract media. Change verb to are.
    Last edited by rjortiz; 05-12-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Banned
    Double standard of ethics for employer/employees.

You have to give two weeks notice, but they don't when they fire you. You should notify a employer about changes in other job prospects, but they don't when they are deciding on hiring you.

Quote Originally Posted by rjortiz View Post

You have to give two weeks notice, but they don't when they fire you. You should notify a employer about changes in other job prospects, but they don't when they are deciding on hiring you.
    When my wife told her boss she was leaving, her boss was upset that she didn't give 3 months notice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Losing power when you are in middle of watching a game. Sweet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    When my wife told her boss she was leaving, her boss was upset that she didn't give 3 months notice!
    lol your wife should have asked her boss if three month severance packages are now company policy.

On the other matter, I was honest about my job prospects with both companies. I thought they would respect that. Nope. Won't make that mistake again. Most companies will always use information against you if they can.

It's not a double standard, because the parties invloved are not in the same status, and firing a non-performing employee is not the same thing as a performing employee leaving for another job. The non-performing employee who gets fired has already broken his/her contract with the employer, and is entitled to nothing additional. In the other situation, the employer had been honoring its commitment to the employee. The notice which is customary (not required) is meant to acknowledge the employer's commitment.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...144503402.html

Coach allows a HS pitcher to throw 194 pitches in one game.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Banned
    It's not a double standard, because the parties invloved are not in the same status, and firing a non-performing employee is not the same thing as a performing employee leaving for another job. The non-performing employee who gets fired has already broken his/her contract with the employer, and is entitled to nothing additional. In the other situation, the employer had been honoring its commitment to the employee. The notice which is customary (not required) is meant to acknowledge the employer's commitment.
    I agree with the business and legal aspect of it. That's why I asked for severance during my salary negotiations. To clarify, I think some employees are guilty of not heeding the warnings of a termination. They are subtle, but you can pick up on them. I also think that immediate termination is warranted when an employee commits a crime. My issue is when an employee is sacked without warning, or is downsized. Again, it makes financial sense for the business, but not for someone surviving week-to-week. The problem I have is not on the business side, but on ethical/moral grounds.

Same goes looking at it from the other end. It is annoying to the employer when an employee quits immediately, or doesn't show up. Employees shouldn't do that. However, ethical behavior is different in business environments. Sometimes, it makes more financial sense to start work at a rival firm immediately. That relationship will last longer than two weeks, and it probably pays more. It's just business. The old business is no longer performing up to the labour standards of other businesses. However, an employee who does that is considered rude. That isn't applied when on the other end. I find that strange, because most businesses can withstand an employee leaving immediately. Not all employees can withstand losing their jobs immediately.
    Last edited by rjortiz; 05-15-2014 at 02:25 PM.

I agree with the business and legal aspect of it. That's why I asked for severance during my salary negotiations. To clarify, I think some employees are guilty of not heeding the warnings of a termination. They are subtle, but you can pick up on them. I also think that immediate termination is warranted when an employee commits a crime. My issue is when an employee is sacked without warning, or is downsized. Again, it makes financial sense for the business, but not for someone surviving week-to-week. The problem I have is not on the business side, but on ethical/moral grounds.

Same goes looking at it from the other end. It is annoying to the employer when an employee quits immediately, or doesn't show up. Employees shouldn't do that. However, ethical behavior is different in business environments. Sometimes, it makes more financial sense to start work at a rival firm immediately. That relationship will last longer than two weeks, and it probably pays more. It's just business. The old business is no longer performing up to the labour standards of other businesses. However, an employee who does that is considered rude. That isn't applied when on the other end. I find that strange, because most businesses can withstand an employee leaving immediately. Not all employees can withstand losing their jobs immediately.
    If it is a downsizing situation, the right thing is to pay some severance and privide the employee with good recommendations. If the employee gets sacked for performance, they have probably been warned, and let's face it they have been getting a check for not doing the job, so they are ahead of the game.

From a practical standpoint, when you interview for a new job, the new employer will commonly ask about how much notice you need to give your current employer. If you say that you will not be giving notice, that might make the prospective employer have second thoughts about hiring you. On the other hand, when people are seeking employment, they rarely ask about the terms of being fired. That's just the practicality of the situation. I don't know if I would call it a double standard.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Banned
    If it is a downsizing situation, the right thing is to pay some severance and privide the employee with good recommendations. If the employee gets sacked for performance, they have probably been warned, and let's face it they have been getting a check for not doing the job, so they are ahead of the game.
    Is it true when an employer gets sacked, they have been getting a check for not paying a high enough wage?

From a practical standpoint, when you interview for a new job, the new employer will commonly ask about how much notice you need to give your current employer. If you say that you will not be giving notice, that might make the prospective employer have second thoughts about hiring you. On the other hand, when people are seeking employment, they rarely ask about the terms of being fired. That's just the practicality of the situation. I don't know if I would call it a double standard.
    One holds employees to a matter of ethics. The other holds employers to a matter of business. It should be both for all of them, or none at all. if an employer can fire an employee for being unproductive; they should be able to switch employers for not paying enough. Official notice is attached to only one side.

Is it true when an employer gets sacked, they have been getting a check for not paying a high enough wage?
    No, that is all the employer was willing to pay for that job in a free market. At times employers do counter-offer. In those cases, they were wittingly or unwittingly underpaying the employee.

One holds employees to a matter of ethics. The other holds employers to a matter of business. It should be both for all of them, or none at all. if an employer can fire an employee for being unproductive; they should be able to switch employers for not paying enough. Official notice is attached to only one side.
    It's just a commonly accepted business practice. It's custom. It's not really the big deal that you think it is. I have a friend who can't stand the custom of tipping. His makes the point that people shouldn't be tipped for doing their jobs. They get paid for doing their jobs. He makes such a big deal about it. I have to tell him who it is customary to tip and how much.

The company merger at the end of the month is seriously kicking my ass.

Next week I'll be stuck in inventory hell and working shitty hours. Blah...

Really stressed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The company merger at the end of the month is seriously kicking my ass.

Next week I'll be stuck in inventory hell and working shitty hours. Blah...

Really stressed out.

Drink excessively.