Register now to remove this ad

Page 355 of 355 FirstFirst ... 255305345353354355
Results 5,311 to 5,318 of 5318

Thread: What Really Grinds My Gears

  1. #5311
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    The fallacy used in arguing (usually about politics) where:

    Person A says "what about this problem with the person you support?"
    and Person B replies with "well, what about the problem with the person YOU support?" or "YOUR guy did it too!"

    Anyone know the name for this?

    Yeah it's a common argument fallacy called "whataboutism" (seriously). It's an old Soviet propaganda technique. I encounter it a lot on the Star Trek message boards, strangely enough. Whenever people argue about something not being scientifically accurate or well-written or complain about plotholes, it gets used. But yeah it's a common argument politically as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

  2. #5312
    It is a time tested & bi-partisan political debate tactic.

    The problem? It always works because it's always true.

    Why? Because politics generally speaking comes down to a binary choice. It's partisan and ideological where voters are more often than not faced with a "lesser of two evils" choice with respect to their political, cultural, & ideological bent.

    Again, this is bi-partisan, & it goes both ways for both political parties.

    Does it suck? Yep. Is there any solution? Nope. Unless of course we can somehow marginalize the Far-Right AND Far-Left? I would LOVE nothing more! Both political Parties are out of control!

    Now.... I dare you to come back with .... "yeh! What about..."

    Last edited by Sox75; 11-15-2018 at 08:47 AM.

  3. #5313
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    It is a time tested & bi-partisan political debate tactic.

    The problem? It always works because it's always true.

    Why? Because politics generally speaking comes down to a binary choice. It's partisan and ideological where voters are more often than not faced with a "lesser of two evils" choice with respect to their political, cultural, & ideological bent.

    Again, this is bi-partisan, & it goes both ways for both political parties.

    Does it suck? Yep. Is there any solution? Nope. Unless of course we can somehow marginalize the Far-Right AND Far-Left? I would LOVE nothing more! Both political Parties are out of control!

    Now.... I dare you to come back with .... "yeh! What about..."

    Yeah, but what about the strawman argument. That one is pretty shitty too.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  4. #5314
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Yeah it's a common argument fallacy called "whataboutism" (seriously). It's an old Soviet propaganda technique. I encounter it a lot on the Star Trek message boards, strangely enough. Whenever people argue about something not being scientifically accurate or well-written or complain about plotholes, it gets used. But yeah it's a common argument politically as well.
    Thanks Youk. It was bugging me to try to put a name to it.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    "Relax kid, we've got 162 of these games to go."

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  5. #5315
    Snow. I really hate it. On days like today I'm stuck inside cold and don't know what to do due to boredom.

  6. #5316
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Snow. I really hate it. On days like today I'm stuck inside cold and don't know what to do due to boredom.
    Snow is nice on trees and fields and roofs. On roads and sidewalks, not so much.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    "Relax kid, we've got 162 of these games to go."

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  7. #5317
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Yeah, but what about the strawman argument. That one is pretty shitty too.

    LOL :0 My dad called me "yeh but," as a teenager.

  8. #5318
    I guess anything is better than the previous abomination, but these new Marlins colors aren't very good...

    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsO1SMNWkAA8wEf.jpg
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    "Relax kid, we've got 162 of these games to go."

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •