Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOKS!

Hybrid View

BOOKS!

For the more cerebral Talksox members....read any good books lately?

I just plowed through the Stieg Larson trilogy while on vacation. I stayed up until 4 am reading one night. :lol: I also read The Hunt for Red October on the same trip and I'm now about to start Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Re: BOOKS!

I own about 550 or so Star Trek books. (Trying to get them all). I just got a new one yesterday, as a matter of fact. Corps of Engineers: What's Past. I like it.

I guess Star Trek isn't cerebral though. On the other hand, some of them are very well-written
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Have you guys read the Born to Play book by Laser Show

Cujo...King
    Rocket Boys (October Sky is the movie)
    Night...The Nazi concentration camp book by a survivor.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;574197;

Cujo...King
    I don't think anyone has every listed Stephen King and Elie Wiesel together before. Congratulations.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsox0407;574197;

Cujo...King
    I read Night last year in school. Very good book.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

they are both good books that i was forced to read. but i liked them non the less.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Read 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins. Very entertaining. Youll thank me afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;574209;
    Read 'The God Delusion' by Dawkins. Very entertaining. Youll thank me afterwards.
    Thought it could have been said in a single chapter but Dawkins loves to go on, and on, and on, a deluded 'god' in his own field.

Decent recent reads for me

Saturday - Ian McKewan (if you havent read him do if you appreciate good prose)

The Fight - Norman Mailer - (Based around his stay during the rumble in the jungle)

Superfreakonomics - Levit and Dubner (interesting analysis using economics principles looking at things like street prostitution, suicide bombers, global warming etc)
    Who delivers ten times out of ten? Thats right baby.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnShaft;593253;
    Thought it could have been said in a single chapter but Dawkins loves to go on, and on, and on, a deluded 'god' in his own field.
    I actually read this a while back, hoping to get some insight into the mind of a brilliant man. For the world's spokesperson on atheism he knows absolutely nothing on the topic of religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;593994;
    I actually read this a while back, hoping to get some insight into the mind of a brilliant man. For the world's spokesperson on atheism he knows absolutely nothing on the topic of religion.
    I second this. Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker was really good, well-written, with lots to chew on even if (like me) you don't think impersonal forces can ultimately explain the universe as we know it. There's some stuff in there that will blow your mind, dude.

The God Delusion... not so much. To paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi, a more wretched hive of straw men and bad-faith arguments you will never read. The guy is totally blinded when it comes to thinking philosophically. It's sad, really. Not that you can't make a case for atheism; of course you can. But Dawkins doesn't.

So, by all means, read Dawkins on science. He's brilliant. But do not make the mistake of thinking that his brilliance in biology automatically means he's brilliant in other domains as well.

As for what I'm reading, well, I'm a seminary student so it's mostly boring theology stuff. No time for pleasure reading these days. [sigh]

Cerebral Talksox members?

I guess you're looking for a small audience!:lol::lol:

Given that most members are young (and they have not had the good fortune to attend the Newton schools), here are some good ones.

A Separate Peace

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter

Black Boy

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Catcher in the Rye.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;574213;
    Black Boy
    Read that back in 9th grade. Really good book.

I'm not currently reading anything. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, but being at college and always out doing something/studying/homework I feel like I won't be able to read enough consistently to enjoy the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;574213;
    Catcher in the Rye.
    I like Salinger, but this book is super overrated. Franny and Zooey was better.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78;575094;
    I like Salinger, but this book is super overrated. Franny and Zooey was better.
    You're a phony :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;575095;
    You're a phony :lol:
    I just don't think Holden Caulfield holds up over time.