Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 181 to 192 of 192

Thread: BOOKS!

  1. #181
    The Lemon Drop Kid Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,760
    I sometimes read books that mostly go over my head, but I still enjoy them. The Name of the Rose was one of them. I love Shakespeare too, even though I understand maybe half of a play, if that.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    don't put up no brick

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  2. #182
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,470
    RIP Dan Jenkins, one of the only great writers of sports books both fictional and non-fictional.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  3. #183
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,131
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Reading "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen.
    I was just thinking about how terrible this book was on my way to work today.

  4. #184
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,131
    I'm trying to get through Don DeLillo's White Noise and it's just not as good as I remember it being.

    Making a stack of books to donate to the library before I move and I think this one is going there.

  5. #185
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,470
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm trying to get through Don DeLillo's White Noise and it's just not as good as I remember it being.
    I read that a couple of years ago. I liked it. It's weird, of course.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  6. #186
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I read that a couple of years ago. I liked it. It's weird, of course.
    I remember reading White Noise and really enjoying which caused me to buy Mao II right after. Mao II is very forgettable. For whatever reason, I'm just not enjoying this read through of White Noise.

  7. #187
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,470
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I remember reading White Noise and really enjoying which caused me to buy Mao II right after. Mao II is very forgettable. For whatever reason, I'm just not enjoying this read through of White Noise.
    I read Mao II as well, and Cosmopolis.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  8. #188
    The Lemon Drop Kid Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,760
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm trying to get through Don DeLillo's White Noise and it's just not as good as I remember it being.

    Making a stack of books to donate to the library before I move and I think this one is going there.
    I read Great Jones Street, which was underwhelming, and got maybe 60 pages into Libra and couldn't finish it.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    don't put up no brick

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  9. #189
    The Lemon Drop Kid Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,760
    I think I might have to concede defeat with Gravity's Rainbow and I haven't even started it yet. Just read the first two pages a while back and put it back on the shelf.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    don't put up no brick

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  10. #190
    The Lemon Drop Kid Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,760
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm trying to get through Don DeLillo's White Noise and it's just not as good as I remember it being.

    Making a stack of books to donate to the library before I move and I think this one is going there.
    Good idea, make other people miserable as well.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    don't put up no brick

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  11. #191
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    23,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    I think I might have to concede defeat with Gravity's Rainbow and I haven't even started it yet. Just read the first two pages a while back and put it back on the shelf.
    Ha ha...I like Pynchon's last 2 books, Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

  12. #192
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    30,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    I think I might have to concede defeat with Gravity's Rainbow and I haven't even started it yet. Just read the first two pages a while back and put it back on the shelf.
    Hated it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •