Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yankees Spring Training Notes

Re: Yankees Spring Training Notes

He wasnt released, but he might as well be. One of those "toolsy" guys who never materialized.

All-Star

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

$189, well more like $192 million when the season starts, sounds nice to me. Plenty of room to work with.

Wow, for some reason I thought the luxury cap was lower than that. Its sort of funny that the cap really only affects one-ish team.

Any Yankee fans have projections for the last few spots of the roster? Does Eric Chavez have a shot? I've always liked him, actually.

You figure the Yanks will be carrying 12 pitchers if everyone stays healthy....

1. Sabathia
    2. Burnett
    3. Hughes
    4. Nova
    5. Colon
    6. Rivera
    7. Soriano
    8. Robertson
    9. Chamberlain
    10. Feliciano
    11. Logan
    12. Garcia/Mitre

That leaves 13 offensive players

1. Posada
    2. Montero
    3. Martin
    4. Teixeira
    5. Cano
    6. Jeter
    7. Rodriguez
    8. Gardner
    9. Granderson
    10. Swisher
    11. Jones
    12. Nunez/Pena/Chavez
    13. Nunez/Pena/Chavez

I think Chavez actually has a pretty good shot. I think the Yanks want to groom Nunez for one more season and could use a good bat off the bench

Posada is the full-time DH, yes? With what you've said, I'd go with a bench of:

Montero: C/1B (right?)
    Jones: All 3 outfield spots
    Pena: 2B/SS/3B
    Chavez: 3B/1B

Seems to make sense.

I agree with that

Tweet from Jon Heyman - "Scouts have been stunned by Phil Hughes' lack of velocity this spring. 87-89 mph, w/ more 87s than 89s"

Uhhh ohhh. Not what you want to hear from your up and comer. Joba 2.0? Maybe...
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

He started out with low velocity 2 yrs ago as well, which eventually improved. And his first start last yr, he was sitting around 88-89. If he's sitting high 80s come May or so, then I'll worry

I saw Hughes pitch the other night against the Jays and thought he looked great early.

It is definitely something to keep an eye on. He did have a big innings jump, but he's also working on his change and a newly added slider this spring. That shouldnt drop velo, but who knows. If he's operating under 90mph this yr, then we're in trouble. But like I said, I'd even give him a month of the season before judging. If he's sitting 88 in May, then we need to find another pitcher, and fast

All I'm saying is what I've seen reported. I haven't gotten to see Hughes throw at all, and this may be something that happens. The tweets also said that scouts were "stunned" at the velocity drop off, but again, it's March, and like Jackso, there's no reason to worry unless he's like that in May.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;618633;
    Posada is the full-time DH, yes? With what you've said, I'd go with a bench of:

Montero: C/1B (right?)
    Jones: All 3 outfield spots
    Pena: 2B/SS/3B
    Chavez: 3B/1B

Seems to make sense.
    Are they going to let Montero sit on the bench? I'd think they'd want him playing everyday in AAA.

I think Montero ends up in AAA. I think he's regressed a little bit and started pressing. He needs a hot start in AAA to end up back in the bigs

All-Star

Here's my guess at the opening day 25 man roster

CC
    AJ
    Hughes
    Nova
    Garcia

Mo
    Soriano
    Joba
    K-Rob