Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Rick Ankiel baseball talk.

Rick Ankiel baseball talk.

No thread anywhere near this created.

Something I always wondered, why would he never try to pitch again? He was damn good before he developed Steve Blass disease.

He is only 32 now and hasnt thrown a pitch since he was 24 years old. He is floundering as an offensive player.....why not try to pitch again to save his career?

When he stopped pitching, he was a hard throwing lefty with a big curveball......its been YEARS since hes attempted to pitch again, maybe his mental block is gone. There is a market for his potential.

.....the what ifs and what happened to's always fascinate me.

Re: Rick Ankiel baseball talk.

I'm all for it as long as his attempted comeback isnt with the Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chin Music33;752705;
    No thread anywhere near this created.

Something I always wondered, why would he never try to pitch again? He was damn good before he developed Steve Blass disease.

He is only 32 now and hasnt thrown a pitch since he was 24 years old. He is floundering as an offensive player.....why not try to pitch again to save his career?

When he stopped pitching, he was a hard throwing lefty with a big curveball......its been YEARS since hes attempted to pitch again, maybe his mental block is gone. There is a market for his potential.

.....the what ifs and what happened to's always fascinate me.
    Has it been your experience that mental blocks just go away?

If you don't have the head to pitch in the big leagues, then you don't have the head to pitch in the big leagues.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;752721;
    Has it been your experience that mental blocks just go away?

If you don't have the head to pitch in the big leagues, then you don't have the head to pitch in the big leagues.
    He once did.

Mark Wholers lost the ability to throw strikes. The ability returned until he got hurt.

Steve Sax couldn't throw a ball to first base. The ability returned.

All-Star

Chuck Knoblauch was a great fielder who forgot how to throw. That never came back.
    And the Lord said, "Go Sox"

People tell me that I'm patronizing.
    (That's when you talk down to people)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Show;753237;
    Chuck Knoblauch was a great fielder who forgot how to throw. That never came back.
    Didn't Chuck have arm problems though?
    We miss you Mike.

Ankiel is a FA, and his career looks pretty much over as an OF.

Only reason I made the thread originally, was that I thought his career was fascinating.

He will be 33, why not try to pitch again?