Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jarrod Saltalamacchia -- best starting catcher by OPS and SLG in the American League

Jarrod Saltalamacchia -- best starting catcher by OPS and SLG in the American League

Just sayin'. I think the kid's really come around. We'll see if he can hold onto it but as things stand, he has to be pretty pathetic with the glove not to be a worthy investment as a starting catcher.

With Shoppach also doing well we may have one of the best catching tandems in the big leagues -- certainly the best in the AL at the moment. Nice to see.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Re: Jarrod Saltalamacchia -- best starting catcher by OPS and SLG in the American Lea

amen to that, i knew Salty had the capability to hit.. he just needed to bring it out.. wish he can continue tearing it apart and be the Papi of 2004.. clutch

Re: Jarrod Saltalamacchia -- best starting catcher by OPS and SLG in the American Lea

How many Salty ballwash threads are you going to make? Second time this season you've made one. We'll see how his OPS is in September, but I doubt it's much higher than .750.

Once his power drops off his OPS will be in rapid decline. I'll just take this hot streak for as long as I can get it, and if he finishes the year with an .800+ OPS, then maybe I could see him "turning the corner". Just like your Miller argument Doj', you want to give props on possibility, not on reality.

I doubt he's a 30HR hitter, although he's on pace for it. Once the power slows, his OPS will drop
    Hal sucks

Exactly what I said. Also said it last year when he was on the heater early on. I give a guy props for what he's doing. His high OPS both cases is supported by a high SLG, and I just don't see how Salty could keep that pace.

he's traveled a pretty tough road...i give him props for not falling by the wayside like some others that had the similar hype that Salty had coming up..this has gotta be gravy for him..

Major Leaguer

He has looked so good lately. When he comes up to bat, I feel confident that he will help and he has pretty much come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;768033;
    How many Salty ballwash threads are you going to make? Second time this season you've made one. We'll see how his OPS is in September, but I doubt it's much higher than .750.

Once his power drops off his OPS will be in rapid decline. I'll just take this hot streak for as long as I can get it, and if he finishes the year with an .800+ OPS, then maybe I could see him "turning the corner". Just like your Miller argument Doj', you want to give props on possibility, not on reality.
    And you, when you tout the POSSIBILITY that he'll fall off like he did last year, instead of giving credit for the REALITY of his present numbers, are doing what exactly?

More evidence that cynicism is not realism IMHO.

The fact is that right now, Salty is pushing with Napoli for the AL's starting catcher in the All Star Game if he doesn't fall down a cliff between then and now.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

His career stats and his trends side with me. I give players props for turning the corner when they, you know, complete a full season as such. Not being a knee-jerk homer does not equate to me being a possibility person.

Salty is definitely exceeding expectations. I think a lot of us were hoping when he was brought in that he could be an average, middle of the pack type catcher in the AL. If he can consistently be above average, it's a great return on our investment.

And no one said he hasn't been a good hitter this year, but it's all in his SLG%, which dropped off a cliff in the second half last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmz;768033;

HAHAHAHA
    So right Emmz. Catchers with an 800+OPS are a rare breed indeed. Lets see what his numbers look like at the end of the season. My guess is that his final 2012 OPS will be more like .740 or so. But for now, sure, lets just enjoy the ride.
    Welcome your new team: Last place loser bums.No playoffs for two years running and working on a third

Quote Originally Posted by jete02fan;768043;
    he's traveled a pretty tough road...i give him props for not falling by the wayside like some others that had the similar hype that Salty had coming up..this has gotta be gravy for him..
    Another damn Yankee fan has found TalkSox.
    Welcome Jete. Hope to see more of you over here.
    Welcome your new team: Last place loser bums.No playoffs for two years running and working on a third

I could see it near .770 or something, good for a catcher, but I seriously don't think he's going to have a .850-.900 OPS year. I hope he does and he deserves credit where it's due, he's one of the few positives right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpsie green;768070;
    Another damn Yankee fan has found TalkSox.
    Welcome Jete. Hope to see more of you over here.
    Why so nice? You get your blue pills today?