Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/7 vs Orioles

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Re: 6/7 vs Orioles

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;768531;
    I'd like an accounting on the win-loss record of posters making game threads. We need to know who is sucking and keep them away from making GT's.
    I think I have the second longest streak this season. BornToRun, Boston22407, VA are sure to get us some wins.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by jung;768580;
    I don't think he is likely to go on a tear if he just stays in the lineup and maintains what appears to be a pretty stubborn attitude about his approach to his plate appearances. He appears to have grown stubborn about taking a day in an effort to press the reset button as well and that as much as anything makes me think a day off especially against another LH pitcher would do him some good.
    How is taking today off any different than the off day they had on Monday? I understand you want to sit him to get him out of the lineup against a LHP, but who replaces him, Marlon Byrd? Are you really advocating that we have a better chance to win tonight with Byrd in the lineup than Gonzo?

It appears that he has been absolutely stubborn and insistent about what he is doing. I would be fine with that if it were not for the result is the aforementioned stupid baseball. Swinging at first pitches is not smart...swinging at them as much as he does is doubly not smart. Looking to go the other way so much that every tom dick and harry on the planet knows it and can pitch him so that he can be set up is not smart either. Although, you hardly have to set him up if he is going to continue to be hackin' from the on deck circle.
    Even when he isn't hitting, he's still a positive WAR player because he's very good defensively at 1B, and when he plays RF, he's a clear upgrade over any OF we have, even with his struggles. Yesterday, I don't know if you noticed it or not, but he was definitely an extra 6-8 inches off the plate. I think he did that for 2 reasons. 1. I think he is trying to persuade pitchers to throw to him outside, and 2. if he's off the plate a bit more, he can get more of the fat part of the bat on the ball on inside pitches.

I agree he's swinging at too many 1st pitches, and that's likely a result of him pressing and trying to do too much. He hasn't taken a walk since mid May, which is atrocious for him. But it's not like he's just stubborn about it. He's trying to change his approach. If there is any hitter on our team that is constantly evolving, it's Gonzo.

Now although you have to take what comes to us from the media with a grain of salt, there are reports that he has also grown stubborn about the idea of just taking a day against a LH hitter to press the reset button. He is a team member and Adrian doing everything Adrian's way is A) not work and B) not what you would expect from a team member.

I would sit him for a day for a number of reasons not the least of which would relate to this stubbornness that appears to be rearing its ugly head. Adrian is not the Manager.....
    I don't think Adrian think's he's the manager. Maybe if the back ups weren't Sweeney (who is awful vs LHP) and Byrd, he'd take a seat for a day. But the way the roster is constructed right now, the team is in too bad of shape to take one of the most potent bats out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Deity

Agons has not cleaned anything on the inner third of the plate out in over a month. I don't care if he is standing on Mars he still has not cleaned out anything low on the inner third, the classic green light go deep location for the LH hitter. His opposite field shots are no longer getting to the wall with the kind of depth and power needed to drive them out either. There are reasons why his HR numbers are what they are.

Now he has gotten so predictable that he is no longer even generating simple base hits at a reasonable rate for the calibre of hitter that he is or that the Red Sox are paying for.

There are just to many easy ways to get AGons out right now. Either you can tease him going farther and farther outside with sliders if you are a LH pitcher much like you can with Youk if you are a RH pitcher or you can get him looking outside which is where he wants to look anyway and bust him inside where he can't get out of his own way since he is looking outside so hard. The former usually yields a K and the latter usually yields some sort of weakly hit ball somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;768535;
    Matusz has been on a roll since dominating you guys. He's put up 3 quality starts striking out 21 in 19.1IP. The guy has good stuff
    yankees suck.
    Back on track and headed in the right direction. *

Baseball fans were treated today to a matchup between Dickey and Wang.

Deity

We need to turn this abysmal record against the O's around. We are 0-5 in our own ballpark against these guys. I continue to think they are not going to disappear at least not to our satisfaction because the pitching is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04;768573;
    First 27 games Pujols had a .505 OPS, 0 HR and 5 RBI. After a day off, in the 30 games since, .900 OPS, 8 HR and 26 RBI.

Just another guy who probably partied during spring training. Like half our team. Opening day they look like they haven't touched a baseball since last September.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04;768585;
    sounds like a yankee fan's wet dream

Deity

That looked like a pretty darned good FB there from Buch for the K

Quote Originally Posted by jung;768587;
    We need to turn this abysmal record against the O's around. We are 0-5 in our own ballpark against these guys. I continue to think they are not going to disappear at least not to our satisfaction because the pitching is not bad.

People were slaughtered in here for saying that a few weeks ago.

2 on 1 out, if this team has any nut they will make something happen here.

Deity

Damn that was a great pitch to Ortiz. Had him set up for it and hit his spot. David can not hit balls thrown in that location worth a darn

Bases juiced for AGon.

All-Star

Huge at bat for Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04;768585;
    :lol::lol::lol: