Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Next Manager

Re: Next Manager

The next manager of this team should be Jason Varitek...says all the sheep in Boston who thought he was a real leader.

Varitek says he doesn't want to manage at this point, maybe in the future. I thought Sandberg would have been a good selection, but so did the Phillies. He was promoted to 3B coach and looks like he will replace Charlie M. when he is done or if the Phillies have another season like this year. Now that the Orioles' season has ended the Sox might give Hale an interview. I just hope they go though the process and name a manager before Nov. 1 so that guy can pick his own coaching staff. When the coaches aren't talking to the manager and managers aren't talking to the coaches you have a mess that doesn't help win ball games.

Cherries needs to put this manager search behind him much earlier than last year's search. Bobby V wasn't hire until November 29th. Too much time was spent diddling over that decision and the FO let the rest of the off season pass them by. They have had plenty of time to map out their plan and plan B C and D. The season has been over since the end of July. They should be prepared and read to go once the World Series. They should be able to get the jump on everyone else. last year's waiting game was a disaster. They were waiting for the market to shake out to the point where certain good value acquisitions presented themselves. They let all the pitching pass them by -- both in FA's and trades. Good pitching costs money or prospects. If you wait for the market to shake out, you will be left with Aaron Cook, Ohlendorf, Padilla and assorted other garbage.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I would love to See Varitek as the manager. I think he would be a great clubhouse presence

Varitek is not intersted in managing at this time. Both Pena and Hale will interview this week. Unless there is someone from one of the teams still playing the manager will probably one of those already interviewed, or are scheduled to interview. Wallach, Ausmus, Pena and Hale. Obvious Farrell's name is still out there.

All-Star

Pena, Ausmus, Hale, and Wallach are the four options that have been or will be given interviews. Supposedly Pena's interview went well. Pena did have some success in 2003 as the Royals manager. He was named 2003 AL Manager of the Year. After 2003, his success went down as the Royals manager. That is still not a good indicator as what he can do with more talent. He has been with the Yankees since 2008. The thing I like is that he has played for the Red Sox in the past. He also knows some about the Red Sox organization from playing against them every year. What I really like about him possibly managing for the Red Sox is that he has coached for the Yankees for the past five years and he will know almost everything about the Yankees when we play them. Realistically I do not know if that will give us an advantage when we play them, but it certainly would not hurt. I do not really know if Pena and Nick Swisher have a strong relationship, but it could improve the chances of us signing Swisher if we have Pena as a manager.

I am not saying that Pena is the best option, I just think he is an interesting option. Hale is also very interesting. If anyone knows the talent in this organization, it is Hale. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or two as more candidates emerge and we start to name finalists.

Pena quit on his team in 2004, and that will never be forgotten. Just like Jim Riggleman quitting on the Nats a few yrs back (great move dingbat!). Pena will continue to get interviews since he fulfills their minority requirements, but I doubt he gets hired by anyone as a manager. My money is on Ausmus, and I think he would be a great sign for a team that is sure to be pretty young next yr
    Hal sucks

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Pena quit on his team in 2004, and that will never be forgotten. Just like Jim Riggleman quitting on the Nats a few yrs back (great move dingbat!). Pena will continue to get interviews since he fulfills their minority requirements, but I doubt he gets hired by anyone as a manager. My money is on Ausmus, and I think he would be a great sign for a team that is sure to be pretty young next yr
    I would be okay with Ausmus. I like what I am hearing about him.

Ausmus is a "hometown" boy. He was drafted out of Chesire High (CT) while I was playing college ball. His dad was a professor at SCSU.
    Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they hide is crucial. Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan3 View Post
    Pena, Ausmus, Hale, and Wallach are the four options that have been or will be given interviews. Supposedly Pena's interview went well. Pena did have some success in 2003 as the Royals manager. He was named 2003 AL Manager of the Year. After 2003, his success went down as the Royals manager. That is still not a good indicator as what he can do with more talent. He has been with the Yankees since 2008. The thing I like is that he has played for the Red Sox in the past. He also knows some about the Red Sox organization from playing against them every year. What I really like about him possibly managing for the Red Sox is that he has coached for the Yankees for the past five years and he will know almost everything about the Yankees when we play them. Realistically I do not know if that will give us an advantage when we play them, but it certainly would not hurt. I do not really know if Pena and Nick Swisher have a strong relationship, but it could improve the chances of us signing Swisher if we have Pena as a manager.

I am not saying that Pena is the best option, I just think he is an interesting option. Hale is also very interesting. If anyone knows the talent in this organization, it is Hale. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week or two as more candidates emerge and we start to name finalists.
    Stop with the Swisher thing. He is a product of $pankee Stadium and his stats are inflated. Plus when the playoffs roll around he is a no show.

Swisher is a compiler, but you cannot say he was a product of YS. He had a higher OPS away from the stadium this yr than at home.
    Hal sucks

When the pressure of the playoffs are on he has never done anything for the $pankees. Even A-Fraud had one productive playoffs for them. We will see what kind of a player he is next season. The $pankees aren't bringing him back, so he won't have the loaded lineup or $pankee Stadium to protect him. I wouldn't touch this guy.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...medium=twitter

Looks like the Sox are gonna try to get an interview with Farrell.
    "JONNY EFFING GOMES"

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Varitek says he doesn't want to manage at this point, maybe in the future.
    Good. He's a very smart man, but he's not ready for the big show yet as a manager. A few years of coaching experience will help him a lot WHEN, not IF, he manages in the bigs. Besides, managing players you used to play with isn't a good way to go so gaining some distance on his playing days plays in his favor anyway.

I would not be surprised if he's somebody's bench coach pretty quickly.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Behindenemylines View Post
    Stop with the Swisher thing. He is a product of $pankee Stadium and his stats are inflated. Plus when the playoffs roll around he is a no show.
    He is not a product of Yankee stadium. He put up 20+ HR's and 70+ RBI's in Oakland and Chicago as well. He is a switch hitter and provides versatility at 1B and in the OF. I do not know why you are so against trying to sign him. I would rather have Swisher than Loney. At least Swisher can be a decent power first baseman. You are so set on his production in the playoffs. Delmon Young has had some bright spots in the postseason, do you want to sign him this offseason? The postseason is not everything. Of course you want a guy that can perform well in the postseason, but don't forget we have to get there first. Swisher would be a decent option to help this team out.