Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotation

Deity

Re: Rotation

The problem I see in all of this is that unless Uncle Bud does something like what had been done several years ago and finds some way to pump offense then pitching will likely get back to as dominant as it was in the 1960's. The problem is he would have to do it without making sweeping changes that are as obvious to baseball as the rules governing what Defensive Backs and Receivers and QB's can do in football.

In that context, as I said earlier, I would want my FO to be the most adept organization in baseball with regard to evaluating, retaining and bargaining for pitching. While I believe pitching is once again headed for the kind of dominance it had in the 1960's it is not developing as it did in the 60's. In the 60's it was all about starting pitching. While starting pitchers is on the rise again, relief pitchers are becoming much more specialized as starting pitching is getting better. A relief pitcher that can hit 97 may well be an important asset where we are going.

Once we have a baseball organization, if we ever have a baseball organization that is truly adept at evaluating pitching then I will feel much more comfortable about a guy throwing 97 headed for some other club.

Lincecum out of the mix.

Forget about the Red Sox trading for Tim Lincecum . Asked whether the San Francisco Giants would consider dealing their down-on-his-luck ace, general manager Brian Sabean didn’t equivocate. “I don’t see how we could cover the loss of him at this point,” Sabean said. “What he did in the postseason, even though it was as a reliever, it’s going to bode well for him and the organization next year. He’s going to be in our rotation next year.” Lincecum notched a career-worst 5.18 ERA, wound up in the bullpen during the playoffs and is eligible for free agency after next season. But the World Series champs nevertheless have determined that he’s still too important to a deep rotation that includes Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, Ryan Vogelsong and Barry Zito.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Banned

Good.

From rotoworld.com: "ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Diamonbacks will listen to offers on pitching prospect Trevor Bauer.
    Bauer sort of marches to the beat of his own drum, which has rubbed some in the Arizona front office the wrong way. But he's only 21 years old and was dominant in the Snakes' minor league system this summer. The D'Backs need to get something good in return if they trade him."

This kid is tremendous. I'd back up the Brinks truck to get him if I was Cherington.

Ya we were talking about him in the offseason thread, if he's available then the Sox should really be looking in on him. Possible 21 year old power future ace's don't become available often. No he is no guarantee, but this is the type of prospect I would like to see a chance taken on. The beat of his own drum doesn't scare me all that much, especially being a pitcher. He has a long toss routine he does to warm up that the AZ FO hates, but like I said in the other thread I watched Buchholz play long toss 10 minutes before his start this year. I don't think it'll be a problem.

Sox appear to be in on Anibal Sanchez. Might take 4 years, $50-60 million. Here are his stats the past few years:

2010: 32 g, 195.0 ip, 13-12, 3.55 era, 117 era+, 1.34 whip, 7.2 k/9
    2011: 32 g, 196.1 ip, 8-9, 3.67 era, 106 era+, 1.28 whip, 9.3 k/9
    2012: 31 g, 195.2 ip, 9-13, 3.86 era, 105 era+, 1.27 whip, 7.7 k/9

So it appears that what you're getting with Sanchez is a guy who gives you 195 innings, about a 3.70 era, a 1.30 whip, and about 8 strikeouts per 9 innings. His b-ref WAR the past 3 seasons: 2.9, 3.5, 2.6. At about $5.5 million per WAR, it means he's been worth about $15.9 m, $19.3 m, and $14.3 m.

So 4 years, $60 million for his age 29, 30, 31, and 32 seasons is probably about right.

I am beginning to like the idea of Sanchez. I hope they lock him up to a deal.

They are also in on Masterson and Choo. I'm 110% all for this.

I know a lot of people aren't big on Masterson but I think he can easily turn back into the 2011 Masterson with a little work with Farrell and Nieves on his delivery.

Lester Buchholz Sanchez Masterson Lackey would be a post season rotation I think.

No true ace in there but 5 guys who can certainly give you an era between 3.3 and 4.2, which will win a lot of games.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

i said it before, Sanchez is the guy we want in that rotation.

I like Masterson. I don't like Choo. He's a good player, but he's got one year left and is a Scott Boras client. So he's a one year rental because Boras is gonna want 7/120-140M for him or some craziness.

edit: I'm ok with 4/60M for Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by BSN07 View Post
    I like Masterson. I don't like Choo. He's a good player, but he's got one year left and is a Scott Boras client. So he's a one year rental because Boras is gonna want 7/120-140M for him or some craziness.
    But that knowledge may keep Cleveland's asking price down somewhat. I like Choo as a one-year player, giving guys like Jacobs, Bradley Jr., and Brentz more time to develop.

I seem to keep seeing Lackeys name thrown around like he might add something to the rotation. While I would love him to he productive I have absolutely no hope that he will be. The guy is not only bad, he is about one of the worst if not the worst pitchers in the league.

Having hope in him is equivalent to the folks on here who were sure Dice K would help out the team last year when he came back. Past few years simply show Lackey continually declining to the point of being terrible.
    2013 never did I doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    I seem to keep seeing Lackeys name thrown around like he might add something to the rotation. While I would love him to he productive I have absolutely no hope that he will be. The guy is not only bad, he is about one of the worst if not the worst pitchers in the league.

Having hope in him is equivalent to the folks on here who were sure Dice K would help out the team last year when he came back. Past few years simply show Lackey continually declining to the point of being terrible.
    The idea is that his decline was because he had a bad elbow. Considering that the Red Sox knew about his bad elbow years ago makes it clear why he fell off the cliff. After Tommy John, there's a decent chance he'll be back to 2010 form.

Sanchez is asking 90m

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    The idea is that his decline was because he had a bad elbow. Considering that the Red Sox knew about his bad elbow years ago makes it clear why he fell off the cliff. After Tommy John, there's a decent chance he'll be back to 2010 form.
    Well there is a chance, but it does not seem decent. His era has increased for 5 years in a row, that is not falling off a cliff- that is steadily going down hill. Surgery sure did not help Dice K. Hope I am wrong but I would bet he sucks next season.
    2013 never did I doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    Well there is a chance, but it does not seem decent. His era has increased for 5 years in a row, that is not falling off a cliff- that is steadily going down hill. Surgery sure did not help Dice K. Hope I am wrong but I would bet he sucks next season.
    Five years? You're definitely looking for a trend where there isn't one. Pitching to career averages is not the same thing is declining.