Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Greatest Red Sox of All Time"

Re: "Greatest Red Sox of All Time"

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    No he was not. There have been players before Yaz, and players after Yaz, who had bigger impacts in their time.

Yaz put the team on his back in 67, and is one of the team's great cultural icons, but that doesn't put him ahead of Williams. Williams was just too dominant for just too long.

Honestly I'd seriously consider putting Pedro Martinez ahead of Yaz, because he was as dominant as Yaz at their respective peaks, in as pitcher-unfriendly an era as Yaz's era was hitter unfriendly, AND he got us all the way to the promised land.

Which Yaz did not.
    You've missed the point. The importance of Yaz and 1967 was beyond statistics and pennants. Maybe you weren't alive to experience Boston baseball in the early 60's. The importance was that he was the centerpiece of a franchise saving team that revived and saved the franchise. Don't take my word for it. Read Bob Ryan's writings about it. He has always said that in Boston Baseball 1967 was the clear delineation. Many other long time writers have placed the same importance on that year, including Gammons. Baseball in Boston was reborn that year. That's why it was so important. Also, it wasn't a 1 year wonder. While nothing could match 1967, they put out winning teams (16 straight seasons) and many strongly competitive teams including 2 World Series teams.

It may be argued that some Sox players were greater players than Yaz (not too many were), but IMO, none had more of a positive impact on the franchise. If you didn't see or experience Boston baseball prior to 1967 and witness the change, you are speaking from a position of ignorance.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    No he was not. There have been players before Yaz, and players after Yaz, who had bigger impacts in their time.

Yaz put the team on his back in 67, and is one of the team's great cultural icons, but that doesn't put him ahead of Williams. Williams was just too dominant for just too long.

Honestly I'd seriously consider putting Pedro Martinez ahead of Yaz, because he was as dominant as Yaz at their respective peaks, in as pitcher-unfriendly an era as Yaz's era was hitter unfriendly, AND he got us all the way to the promised land.

Which Yaz did not.
    As much as I love Carl Yastrzemski, you are right. Ted Williams is possibly the greatest hitter in the history of baseball. Yaz had a great year in 1967, but for his career, he was not really close to the greatness of Ted Williams. Williams' career OPS of 1.116 is better than any season recorded by Yastrzemski.

And before anyone tries to tell me about the greatness of 1967, forget it. I was there. I remember that year as my favorite baseball year ever. I remember Yaz's magic. I also remember the great year by Jim Lonborg. I remember great pitching performances by journeymen pitchers Gary Bell, Lee Stange, and Jose Santiago. Tony Conigliaro, George Scott, and other components made for a great team that was tied together by manager Dick Williams. Yaz was great that year but he didn't do it alone.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    As much as I love Carl Yastrzemski, you are right. Ted Williams is possibly the greatest hitter in the history of baseball. Yaz had a great year in 1967, but for his career, he was not really close to the greatness of Ted Williams. Williams' career OPS of 1.116 is better than any season recorded by Yastrzemski.

And before anyone tries to tell me about the greatness of 1967, forget it. I was there. I remember that year as my favorite baseball year ever. I remember Yaz's magic. I also remember the great year by Jim Lonborg. I remember great pitching performances by journeymen pitchers Gary Bell, Lee Stange, and Jose Santiago. Tony Conigliaro, George Scott, and other components made for a great team that was tied together by manager Dick Williams. Yaz was great that year but he didn't do it alone.
    I'll have to go with the recollections of the players who played with Yaz that year. I believe that George Scott called it the greatest year by any player in any year. Reggie Smith said:

Even when comparing him to today's players, I have yet to see a season like the one he had,'' says Smith. That whole year was dream-like, anyway, considering what we did and what we accomplished.
    Manager Dick Williams also maintained that he "never saw a player have a season like that." He said that Yaz was the perfect player that year. Williams played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1950's and saw his share of greats as a player and manager. These guys maintained this opinion years after 67 was a distant memory. Also, Dick Williams and Yaz were far from personal friends or friendly acquaintances, yet Williams always maintained his high praise of Yaz's 1967 season. After Tony C went down that year, Yaz put that team on his shoulders and carried them to the finish.

I'll also have to go with Bob Ryan and Peter Gammons with regard to the importance of 1967 in the history of the Red Sox franchise.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It is a waste of time to discuss anything with you, a700, but I will admit Yastrzemski's 1967 year was magical. I will also admit that he is my favorite Red Sox player of all-time because I witnessed his entire career.

But, he had one really great season and several really good ones. Ted Williams had a really great career and is easily the greatest player in Red Sox history.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

It is a waste of time to discuss anything with you, a700, but I will admit Yastrzemski's 1967 year was magical. I will also admit that he is my favorite Red Sox player of all-time because I witnessed his entire career.

But, he had one really great season and several really good ones. Ted Williams had a really great career and is easily the greatest player in Red Sox history.
    I already admitted that other Red Sox players were greater than Yaz, and I agree that Teddy Ballgame was the best of all. Jimmy Fox would be another better than Yaz. My point is that the impact of Yaz and 1967 on the franchise. That season led by Yaz changed the trajectory of the fortunes of the Red Sox helping turn it into one of the greatest franchises in sports for almost the last 45 years. I never said that Yaz was the greatest RedSox player, nevermind greater than Williams, so I don't know where our disagreement is.

Yaz is my all time favorite too. But imagine what Ted Williams career would have been if he didn't lose those seasons during WWII and the Korean War. Insane!

Triple A

Maybe someone should start a new thread
    Greatest single season by a red sox ever?

Yaz 67
    williams 41
    &
    Pedro 00
    would be 3 that come to mind

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan View Post
    Yaz is my all time favorite too. But imagine what Ted Williams career would have been if he didn't lose those seasons during WWII and the Korean War. Insane!
    The three great icons of the 40's and 50's were Williams, DiMaggioand Musial. I have a bat signed by Williams and a ball signed by Musial. Stuff signed by DiMaggio is real pricy, but eventually I will get something signed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by VA Sox Fan View Post
    It is admirable that he fought for his country, but it is too bad he lost he lost so much playing time in his prime. For one thing, he could have approached 700 homeruns.

Quote Originally Posted by cbbosox
    Maybe someone should start a new thread
    Greatest single season by a red sox ever?

Yaz 67
    williams 41
    &
    Pedro 00
    would be 3 that come to mind
    Good idea. If you don't start one, I may do it later today.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Good idea. If you don't start one, I may do it later today.
    Please do. It'd be a very interesting topic and will bring up good discussion. We can temporarily forget about the trash we have on our team now :lol:
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Triple A

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxfanforlife305 View Post
    Please do. It'd be a very interesting topic and will bring up good discussion. We can temporarily forget about the trash we have on our team now :lol:
    You mean your are not counting the days before we get to see
    Stephan Drew and Johnny Gomes take the field?

(i just started the thread )

Legend

Greatest player?

I would say Williams--for being probably the greatest hitter of all time. Plus he played his whole career in Boston.

Babe Ruth would have to be there, too. he was a great pitcher as a Red Sox, and also led the majors in HRs a couple of times playing RF part-time as a Red Sox. Ruth was already recognized as the best player in baseball when that NY carpetbagger, Frazee, sold him to the Yankees--presumably to build up the floundering NY franchise. The Babe was the best all-around Red Sox player.

I would put Yaz number 3. He was not a consistently great hitter in his career, padded his stats with the DH, but was a great defensive left fielder. The best I've seen at Fenway. He was a big game player.

Pedro was certainly the greatest pitcher--at least the best I've seen. There were several years in Boston when he was the best pitcher on the planet. He is right there in the top 5.

Deity

Greatest player has to be Williams in my opinion although I have already voted Yaz 67 for greatest single season.

Where would Jason Varitek fit in? He showed great leadership qualities during his tenure with us and would make a great manager some day. Also, how about Tim Wakefield?
    Rogers Centre, Comerica Park, Wrigley Field

Quote Originally Posted by IRON HORSE View Post
    Where would Jason Varitek fit in? He showed great leadership qualities during his tenure with us and would make a great manager some day.
    Tek is our second best catcher ever. But not nearly one of the all-time greatest Red Sox. He will be remembered as one of the memorable players of his era on this team, the same way, say, Mo Vaughn is, or Jimmy Foxx, or Luis Tiant, and no one put them on this list.

Outside Pedro himself, if there's anyone we've had in the "oughts" who has a fair chance to get onto that list, it's probably Big Papi, and that's mostly for what he meant in 04 and 07.

Also, how about Tim Wakefield?
    Already forgotten for the most part.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.