Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Lackey blues

Lackey blues

I have not gotten to see much in depth Sox coverage this year (I am in MS), so could someone explain how Lackey has an era less than 3 with a 3-5 record? I had given up on him a couple years ago, but since he is on the team, I have never stopped hoping he would return to the potential he showed with the Angels.
    Now, I kinda thought he was going that direction, but 3-5? I believe the chart I saw said 2.96, and that is pretty solid. I might expect some no decisions due to bad luck, but he has 8 starts and 8 decisions, 5 of them L.

Re: Lackey blues

Simple. Low run support so far. The Sox have averaged 3.73 runs a game in his starts. That'll be the explanation at least 90% of the time.

Also in one of his losses I think he gave up 5 runs but only one was earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Simple. Low run support so far. The Sox have averaged 3.73 runs a game in his starts. That'll be the explanation at least 90% of the time.

Also in one of his losses I think he gave up 5 runs but only one was earned.
    Yeah the Twins game when he had the throwing error that ended up allowing 4 more to scores in the inning.

The main cause of his record is the little run support Bellhorn mentioned. He's looked sharp when he gets it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Well, I reckon when your run support is lower than your era, that would explain a lot, lol. But 8 starts, and 8 decisions? At what point does that become remarkable?

and by the way, does this look like it will last. Doesn't even have to be THAT good, just 3.5 or so, with more than 6 innings per start would be everything I would ask of him. Anything more is just gravy

Banned

It's hard to predict how the Red Sox will hit for Lackey. Seems like a stretch of bad luck. The Sox offense more than capable of scoring more runs for him.

Lackey is one of the biggest competitors in the league. He's healthy right now and looks like the guy he was when he was on the Angels. I think, if healthy, he will do great things for us for the remainder of the season.
    R.I.P Rod Beck. You were the Kenny Powers of real life.

Quote Originally Posted by MJantomaso View Post
    Lackey is one of the biggest competitors in the league. He's healthy right now and looks like the guy he was when he was on the Angels. I think, if healthy, he will do great things for us for the remainder of the season.
    If he keeps around a 4.0 ERA the rest of his contract I will be pleased.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Banned

I was dead wrong on Lackey.

Legend

Lackey deserves support. Moral support and run support. For a guy who pitched for 2 years with a bad elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Williebingbing View Post
    Well, I reckon when your run support is lower than your era, that would explain a lot, lol. But 8 starts, and 8 decisions? At what point does that become remarkable?

and by the way, does this look like it will last. Doesn't even have to be THAT good, just 3.5 or so, with more than 6 innings per start would be everything I would ask of him. Anything more is just gravy
    He has a hard time getting no decisions. I think in 2011 he was 13-12 through his first 25 at one point.

His current ERA is 2.97, just putting that out there now. He's faced some pretty good offenses, but when he doesn't (i.e. Rays and Phillies) he doesn't get the run support he needs, so he takes the loss. Example of this: Wednesday vs Phillies: He allowed 3 runs against a poor Phil's offense besides Dominic Brown over 6 innings, just what you're asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

If the Sox are going anywhere this season they need production out of Lackey. I think Buchholtz and Lester are in it for the long haul (Barring injuries), but the Sox need consistant pitching from the rest of the rotation including Lackey.