Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rules?

Rules?

It seems like there's a flame war on this forum on a daily basis. I like to joke around, and I'm guilty of jumping in to a couple of these flame wars just for entertainment. But it seem like the level of vitriol and deep dislike people have for each other on this forum has boiled over. I tried to look for some kind of rules, and found this post.

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir View Post
    1) Beginning at 6 pm EST tonight any member who instigates a fight/flame war/shouting match will be awarded a 3-5 day ban per my discretion. The ban will be discussed by the mod team and may be amended as needed. Any member who responds to an instigating post, thereby continuing the stupid fight will be awarded a 1 day ban. Anyone who returns from a ban and must be banned again will be banned permanently. If 2 or more users decide to gang up on another poster, feeding off of each other's stupid energy until the entire thread is hijacked and transformed into a worthless pile of crap, those 2+ members will be awarded bans of 7+ days. These bans will be awarded regardless of the length of tenure on the site.
    What ever happened to that? It's gotten to the point where it's impossible to have a baseball discussion between two posters without a third poster jumping in calling someone names or "protecting" one of the posters. If you ask them to cut it out and discuss baseball, they call you sensitive or accuse you of being on the other person's side. Could people please cut it out? Or could an admin perhaps step in and at the very least, delete posts that make no mention to baseball and have multiple insults or obscenities?

Re: Rules?

Real problem is that some posters attack others when somebody think different about a baseball thing since they think that they own the absolutely true. This is a baseball forum and each poster see the game different and it is cool to put/ support your point of view with some stats, experience and all but again sometimes these guys take baseball comments/critics so personal. Look what happened today. I said that I would like to see Nava playing everyday since I think Gomes sucks and the guy began with personal attacks.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

I agree with SR. This is getting out of hand. I'm starting to post less and less in game threads. I understand that humans will have their own opinions and even disagree, but there is no reason to forget the whole reason why we're here to prove a point to somebody by beating the shit out of them by flaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I agree with SR. This is getting out of hand. I'm starting to post less and less in game threads. I understand that humans will have their own opinions and even disagree, but there is no reason to forget the whole reason why we're here to prove a point to somebody by beating the shit out of them by flaming.
    Yeah, if things continue like this I'm eventually going to stop posting. We're in first place and there's a flame war in pretty much every game thread.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Real problem is that some posters attack others when somebody think different about a baseball thing since they think that they own the absolutely true. This is a baseball forum and each poster see the game different and it is cool to put/ support your point of view with some stats, experience and all but again sometimes these guys take baseball comments/critics so personal. Look what happened today. I said that I would like to see Nava playing everyday since I think Gomes sucks and the guy began with personal attacks.
    Someone said "I'm glad you're not manager" or "Thank god you're not manager" or something along those lines and it started a 3-4 page flame war between members that were in no way involved in the discussion in the first place. That's insanity.

"I'm glad you don't run the Red Sox". How that can turn into a flame war is beyond me. Part of it is the victim act some love to present.

After the flame war started, some of us tried to get back into baseball discussion, and the same guy who's here whining about that silly comment wouldn't let up with the flamethrower.
    We miss you Mike.

I haven't posted that much in game threads lately, but I always have said that a game thread is like you are in a bar with your friends drinking a beer and sometimes you are reactionary, making jokes, etc. but again... Some posters do not tolerate that you say something against the team even when they suck.

We have to relax and enjoy the game trying to be tolerant.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Maybe if you stopped taking everything everyone who you don't like says as a slight, some of these shitstorms should be avoided.

If i say "i'm glad you're not the GM of the Sox" i am not calling you an idiot. I am literally saying i don't agree with a baseball opinion you just said. If i want to call you an idiot, i will say "you are an idiot".
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    "I'm glad you don't run the Red Sox". How that can turn into a flame war is beyond me. Part of it is the victim act some love to present.

After the flame war started, some of us tried to get back into baseball discussion, and the same guy who's here whining about that silly comment wouldn't let up with the flamethrower.
    Please stop. I made a thread asking for an end to the flame wars and now you're provoking one in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Room View Post
    Seriously, please stop. I made a thread asking for an end to the flame wars and now you're provoking one in it.
    Yeah yeah, my bad. I'm actually trying to extend an olive branch here and that came out wrong. I will respectfully bow out.
    We miss you Mike.

I think that we know who the majority of the participants are and that we should tell them the specific posters they need to put on their ignore list so they are forced to use it.

The ignore list isn't great, but it's a good start. Some people aren't going to get along, and they will probably hold those grudges against one another and bring up the past time after time. At this point it's clearly not going to be resolved so both parties (in each example) need to do their best to ignore one another and move on. The site is obviously big enough for us.

But the ignore list has been brought up millions of times and some people claim to use it, but...

The problem is the ignore lists' weakness to the quote feature. I'm using it, but i can still see when someone says something about me if someone else quotes them. I wonder if there's a way around that.
    We miss you Mike.

:lol: always wanted to know how you guys make those gifs...

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    And this was answered by a post that said nothing else other than "thank god you don't run the team." Let's not forget other baseball opinions that were met with responses such as "you are making my head hurt" or "that is the stupidest thing that I have ever read." And other stuff to that effect. It's a complete lack of tolerance of other points of view, and his posts are more about criticizing posters than about baseball. Enough already.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

And this was answered by a post that said nothing else other than "thank god you don't run the team." Let's not forget other baseball opinions that were met with responses such as "you are making my head hurt" or "that is the stupidest thing that I have ever read." And other stuff to that effect. It's a complete lack of tolerance of other points of view, and his posts are more about criticizing posters than about baseball. Enough already.
    You're clearly part of the problem as well.